You’re missing the point about googles photo sync options.
    There is two: first is free unlimited and the second is another one.
    Free unlimited is the one you’re talking about and the other one is what @metllicamilitia is talking about.
    That makes sense.

And please refrain from saying someone is getting emotional or not. Saying something like that is pure passive aggressive harassment.
    An observation and nothing more, there was no need for personal attacks or claiming disinformation.
    wpn00b likes this.
    10-22-2020 08:53 AM
    there was no need for personal attacks or claiming disinformation.
    It’s much easier to move your photos out of iCloud than it is to move your photos out of google photos.
    It depends on the price plan the user chooses.

Another user was complaining that the only way they were able to export original resolution photos from google photos was to do it one by one, don’t know if that has changed.
    iCloud doesn’t compress the photo, you can select the photos to be compressed on the iPhone but not in iCloud, hence it being pretty seamless.

As far as I know you have to select the original resolution when uploading to google photos which would require to pay for storage depending on the size of the library. Irregardless google photos isn’t seamless or straightforward when it comes to googles server side compression.

[IMG=425x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201022/1bc02a1645c82ee6af9772d9a06aa569.jpg[/url]
    The only thing not incorrect in these statements about original quality on Google Photos is that you must choose to upload original, although it is a one time selection.
    10-22-2020 08:59 AM
    Unlimited free compressed storage is not limited original storage. It's a check box. As is keeping original photos local on iphone. Disinformation is saying Google doesn't allow original for free or that you can't download original, or that you can't download more than one photo at a time. Choosing an upload size is straightforward. Buying storage (just like Apple) is straightforward. Saying Google Photos is more more complicated or not free is incorrect. Your screenshot you love so much is specific to the free unlimited storage option, not the original storage that uses your Google Drive storage. When you share the correct information there is no issue.
    I never said google didn’t allow original for free, just that it was dépendant on the size of the users library.

iCloud doesn’t compress the photo, you can select the photos to be compressed on the iPhone but not in iCloud, hence it being pretty seamless.

As far as I know you have to select the original resolution when uploading to google photos which would require to pay for storage depending on the size of the library. Irregardless google photos isn’t seamless or straightforward when it comes to googles server side compression.

[IMG=425x1024]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201022/1bc02a1645c82ee6af9772d9a06aa569.jpg[/url]
    Another user in another thread had a hard time exporting their google photos library, that users solution was to download it one at a time.

The screenshot I posted twice was from the google forums where some users had difficulty with google photos compressing photos that weren’t suppose to be compressed, as pointed out it on the screenshot they were using the free unlimited tier. You seem to take that personally.
    10-22-2020 09:03 AM
    Ok, I just went to my Google Photos and selected a date:
    I don't want to get locked into the iOS ecosystem necessarily-screen-shot-2020-10-22-10.03.08-am.jpg

See the gray check mark beside the date? Select the check box and BOOM all the photos are selected for that date:
    I don't want to get locked into the iOS ecosystem necessarily-screen-shot-2020-10-22-10.03.18-am.png

Then I went up to the top right and selected download. The photos downloaded in ZIP format:
    I don't want to get locked into the iOS ecosystem necessarily-screen-shot-2020-10-22-10.03.40-am.png

Unzipped the files and they were the original sized photos taken from my iPhone last year.

And I'm not paying for Google storage. Whatever the free storage size they offer is what I'm using.
    10-22-2020 09:08 AM
    Coming from a long time Android user, I pre-ordered an iPhone 12 pro.

Many of the issues that I have seen with people with iPhones is it the pictures going to the iCloud and basically it's a wall garden It seemed like.

There's a way to direct my pictures,etc, to go into Google photos?

I'm totally new at this so I'm asking questions just to sort of get a handle on it when I get the phone.
    Joe
    Joe, use the Google Photos app. Once they are uploaded to GP you can delete from Photos on your device.

"Ease of use" is in the eye of the person using said service.
    10-22-2020 09:12 AM
    I don’t like Google, apart from their search engine and that’s a necessary evil.

I hope someday Google just goes back to being a search engine and abandons all their other projects and services.
    10-22-2020 09:12 AM
    I have been using iCloud for Windows for at least 5 years now.
    Good to hear. Thank you!
    10-22-2020 09:47 AM
    Thank you. It's amazing how one simple question can cause the post to totally detail. (Not you though!)
    Joe, use the Google Photos app. Once they are uploaded to GP you can delete from Photos on your device.

"Ease of use" is in the eye of the person using said service.
    wpn00b likes this.
    10-22-2020 09:50 AM
    Thank you. It's amazing how one simple question can cause the post to totally detail. (Not you though!)
    No worries. Happens all the time.
    Annie_M and wpn00b like this.
    10-22-2020 09:57 AM
    I don’t like Google, apart from their search engine and that’s a necessary evil.

I hope someday Google just goes back to being a search engine and abandons all their other projects and services.
    Spoken like a true fanboy. But I wouldn't treat my brother any other way. :-)
    Annie_M and Tartarus like this.
    10-22-2020 09:58 AM
    And it seems like we're back on track... life is good!
    Tartarus, Spencerdl and wpn00b like this.
    10-22-2020 10:40 AM
    I wouldn't feel the need to use OneDrive for my photos if I could figure out how to keep pictures on iCloud but not have to have them all on my phone too. Last I checked that couldn't be done, but that was years ago.
    10-22-2020 12:12 PM
    I wouldn't feel the need to use OneDrive for my photos if I could figure out how to keep pictures on iCloud but not have to have them all on my phone too. Last I checked that couldn't be done, but that was years ago.
    It’s still like that.
    iCloud Photos is a mirroring service. It’s to make sure all your photos are on your other devices and vice versa.
    Added benefit is that it’s all stored in the cloud. And if you happen to lose or damage a device, those photos will sync back to a new device if you replace it.
    It is in no way a service that allows you to make a backup and restore from that backup if you happen to lose one or two photos.
    There are other ways to achieve that, just not with iCloud Photos.
    wpn00b likes this.
    10-22-2020 12:55 PM
    It’s still like that.
    iCloud Photos is a mirroring service. It’s to make sure all your photos are on your other devices and vice versa.
    Added benefit is that it’s all stored in the cloud. And if you happen to lose or damage a device, those photos will sync back to a new device if you replace it.
    It is in no way a service that allows you to make a backup and restore from that backup if you happen to lose one or two photos.
    There are other ways to achieve that, just not with iCloud Photos.
    And an added bonus for Apple is they get to make sure you keep buying bigger and bigger phones to fit all the pictures you have stored over the years of using their service.

Not to distract from the original topic, but if you restore from icloud on a new device and then turn off the sync, does this delete the pictures from that new device, or just prevent syncing of new photos?
    10-22-2020 01:05 PM
    And an added bonus for Apple is they get to make sure you keep buying bigger and bigger phones to fit all the pictures you have stored over the years of using their service.

Not to distract from the original topic, but if you restore from icloud on a new device and then turn off the sync, does this delete the pictures from that new device, or just prevent syncing of new photos?
    Why do I think you don’t understand iCloud Photos?
    Apple offers you the option to Optimize iPhone Storage.
    This will allow you to store the photos in full resolution in the cloud and put compressed photos as placeholders on your iPhone, allowing you to have more free storage on your iPhone.

As to your question, disabling iCloud Photos will not delete photos. Neither from the cloud nor the iPhone.
    10-22-2020 01:30 PM
    Why do I think you don’t understand iCloud Photos?
    Apple offers you the option to Optimize iPhone Storage.
    This will allow you to store the photos in full resolution in the cloud and put compressed photos as placeholders on your iPhone, allowing you to have more free storage on your iPhone.

As to your question, disabling iCloud Photos will not delete photos. Neither from the cloud nor the iPhone.
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping.

I understand the option to optimize storage, but even compressed/smaller photos take up more room than not having them on your phone at all, right? If they were not on your phone at all, only viewable using data to look into the cloud, that would be more appealing to me. I'm sure it works great for most people, but I choose to do it differently with OneDrive. I just keep the pictures I want most on the phone at all times, and have the rest available on OneDrive for when I need them. Different strokes for different folks.
    10-22-2020 01:49 PM
    Thanks, that is what I was hoping.

I understand the option to optimize storage, but even compressed/smaller photos take up more room than not having them on your phone at all, right? If they were not on your phone at all, only viewable using data to look into the cloud, that would be more appealing to me. I'm sure it works great for most people, but I choose to do it differently with OneDrive. I just keep the pictures I want most on the phone at all times, and have the rest available on OneDrive for when I need them. Different strokes for different folks.
    Then you must clear the OneDrive cache regularly on your iPhone, after all, every time you view a photo in the OneDrive app, it gets stored in the cache.
    10-22-2020 02:36 PM
    Then you must clear the OneDrive cache regularly on your iPhone, after all, every time you view a photo in the OneDrive app, it gets stored in the cache.
    I do, and then it is gone from my memory. Please don't take this as an attack on how you use your phone or how iCloud works. The beauty of having competition is you don't all have to do things the same way. You can use iCloud, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc. Each has pros and cons and that is for everyone to decide for themselves which will work best for you.
    Tartarus, Spencerdl and wpn00b like this.
    10-22-2020 03:15 PM
    I do, and then it is gone from my memory. Please don't take this as an attack on how you use your phone or how iCloud works. The beauty of having competition is you don't all have to do things the same way. You can use iCloud, Google Photos, OneDrive, etc. Each has pros and cons and that is for everyone to decide for themselves which will work best for you.
    No sir, I don’t see it as an attack. As long as the person before me and I have all the facts straight and there is no misunderstanding, other people will learn from it. Which is my ultimate goal on this forum.
    tapasupport likes this.
    10-22-2020 03:18 PM
    And it seems like we're back on track... life is good!
    The answer to the original question is yes you can use Google Photos.

I was just getting ready to say, let's get back on track...LOL
    wpn00b likes this.
    10-23-2020 05:15 AM
    My photos get backed up to Microsoft OneDrive as I get a terabyte of space. I don't use icloud photos as it doesn't play well with a PC. It's not bad, it's just that for me, OneDrive is superior in that regard.
    How much do you pay for 365? I have Amazon photos Dropbox and Google. I like have backups in case something happens.
    10-23-2020 05:56 PM
    Will that download the original quality photos to your device or the compressed version.
    Whatever version you back up. The high quality is what they save unless you want original but you only get like 5GB or so.
    10-23-2020 05:58 PM
    Coming from a long time Android user, I pre-ordered an iPhone 12 pro.

Many of the issues that I have seen with people with iPhones is it the pictures going to the iCloud and basically it's a wall garden It seemed like.

There's a way to direct my pictures,etc, to go into Google photos?

I'm totally new at this so I'm asking questions just to sort of get a handle on it when I get the phone.
    Joe
    I use all Google services on my iPhone. Google Maps, Googe Photos, Gmail, Drive etc. It works best for me as I am always using both Android and IOS.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    10-23-2020 06:01 PM
    I use all Google services on my iPhone. Google Maps, Googe Photos, Gmail, Drive etc. It works best for me as I am always using both Android and IOS.
    That is what I would like to do. I have been watching videos about iOS 14 in preparation for my first iPhone.

The one I'm watching just now said that she can't set Google maps as default. and all the videos that I've seen where they talk about it, the only two that you can set is default according to them is your web browser and your email client.

How are you able to use Google maps etc?
    10-23-2020 10:03 PM
    Whatever version you back up. The high quality is what they save unless you want original but you only get like 5GB or so.
    Thank you for the answer. Personally I’m sticking with iCloud. I prefer apple services over google.
    Tartarus and comiken205 like this.
    10-24-2020 02:49 AM
58 123