If I could change one thing about iOS 14 it would be...

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
For me, it would be the whole App Library thing.

I like a clean setup. I have 1 page that I keep as the standard Apple first page with all of my other apps being in the library.

Sometimes I might move something and want to reset my Home Screen layout. If I have my settings so that apps don’t get installed on the Home Screen and I do a Home Screen reset, please don’t bring all those apps BACK to my home screens requiring me to then remove them all again.

Just reset the apps that I actually left on my Home Screen to begin with.

How about you? What would be the one thing you’d change?

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Me I would like to be able to chose what apps go in the Smart Stack, all I can think of at the moment.

Wotchered

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
I would have liked a yes or no button on the pointless Library thing. Did Apple think I organised my Home pages for FUN !!??

mr_zmanan

Oct 23, 2018
Visit site
please don’t bring all those apps BACK to my home screens requiring me to then remove them all again.
change?

You can put all apps you want to hide in a folder then hide the folder. This will hide all apps inside the folder

This is easier than hide each app

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Me I would like to be able to chose what apps go in the Smart Stack, all I can think of at the moment.

This is already available. If you have several widgets of the same size, you can move them on top of each other & it will create your custom stack.

As far as changes to iOS14, I can’t think of anything. I’m sure that’ll change with more and more posts to this thread. So far the App Library is fine for me. I use to hate it because it wasn’t organized the way I had my home screen, but I don’t have a lot of apps & I never used my folders anyway. I just needed a way to keep things clean & it does that. I have widgets on my search screen & a clean home screen, I couldn’t have asked for more. I’m that person that uses search for almost everything, so things are pretty good the way they are.

Edit: just thought of something ....I’d love to be able to disable the dock. I’m tired of seeing apps down there.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
This is already available. If you have several widgets of the same size, you can move them on top of each other & it will create your custom stack.

As far as changes to iOS14, I can’t think of anything. I’m sure that’ll change with more and more posts to this thread. So far the App Library is fine for me. I use to hate it because it wasn’t organized the way I had my home screen, but I don’t have a lot of apps & I never used my folders anyway. I just needed a way to keep things clean & it does that. I have widgets on my search screen & a clean home screen, I couldn’t have asked for more. I’m that person that uses search for almost everything, so things are pretty good the way they are.

Edit: just thought of something ....I’d love to be able to disable the dock. I’m tired of seeing apps down there.

Thanks for advice works like a charm, I’m with you on getting rid of the dock.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
At the moment I can only think of four features I would like apple to have added to iOS 14 or include in iOS 15:

1.The ability to airdrop apps between iPhones or iPads

2.The option to download apps from the AppStores of other countries or one global AppStore.

3. All live wallpapers that were included on previous iPhones.

4. The ability to iMessage iPhones that are around you using the airdrop protocol, bypassing any cellular or wifi networks.

Regarding iOS 14, I’m just waiting for Apple to block cross site ad trackers.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At the moment I can only think of four features I would like apple to have added to iOS 14 or include in iOS 15:

This feature is available now. I AirDrop between my iPhone and iPad quite often.

2.The option to download apps from the AppStores of other countries or one global AppStore.
I may be misunderstanding, but when apps are being prepped for review by Apple, the developer can select which countries to make their apps available in.

doogald

Trusted Member
Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
I have a list of things that Apple still could make better in iOS. I'd love the ability to make custom sound notifications for any app, including et me use vibration only and no sound. I'd love push support for Gmail accounts in the stock mail app. I'd love to be able to force all notifications to the Apple Watch even if my iPhone display is active. I'd love the ability to have my battery pct on the icon bar at the top rather than the gas gauge that they use now. I'd love the ability to pull down control center from a tab in the notification screen on the middle or left side of the phone (so I can use the phone one-handed more easily.)

I'd love the ability to pair an Apple Watch to an iPad. I'd love the ability for Health data to sync to my other devices (iPad and Mac).

Take your pick for one of those to change.

I'm fine with App Library. I'm ok with the way that widgets work (though, yes, actionable widgets would be good, I wouldn't want that change if it means sacrificing battery life.)

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
This feature is available now. I AirDrop between my iPhone and iPad quite often.

There might be a misunderstanding, I don’t think apple allows anyone to airdrop applications between devices, files, pictures, and videos sure, but not apps. I believe you can only download apps from the App Store.

I may be misunderstanding, but when apps are being prepped for review by Apple, the developer can select which countries to make their apps available in.

Yes, but if you travel frequently or reside in more than one country it can quickly become quite cumbersome having multiple iPhones with multiple iCloud accounts just to download and use local apps, versus having everything in one iPhone. It would be nice to have a central global App Store where all apps are available or a if apple allowed AppStore approved applications to be airdropped between devices.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
There might be a misunderstanding, I don’t think apple allows anyone to airdrop applications between devices, files, pictures, and videos sure, but not apps. I believe you can only download apps from the App Store.
You’re right. I was referring to files and not apps.

Yes, but if you travel frequently or reside in more than one country it can quickly become quite cumbersome having multiple iPhones with multiple iCloud accounts just to download and use local apps, versus having everything in one iPhone. It would be nice to have a central global App Store where all apps are available or a if apple allowed AppStore approved applications to be airdropped between devices.

Yeah, I see your point....:)

firstborn80

Feb 27, 2015
Visit site
I would like to be able to edit the App Library. I hate that some categories are put together like productivity & finance. I want to separate them into the folder I choose. I would also like the actual folders to be in alphabetical order. I know Apple is just moving the most used folders to the top of the library but when I'm looking for an app I don't use as often, I have to scroll the to find the folder I think it may be in. Pointless IMO.

Also, my Apple music widget still doesn't work. Like, ever - it doesn't update at all so I just deleted it. It's my most used app so I really wish it worked.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

3. All live wallpapers that were included on previous iPhones.

4. The ability to iMessage iPhones that are around you using the airdrop protocol, bypassing any cellular or wifi networks.

Regarding iOS 14, I’m just waiting for Apple to block cross site ad trackers.
Apps are essentially being forced to be converted to Catalyst. No need to AirDrop. A Catalyst app is able to be run natively on macOS, ipadOS, and iOS.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Apps are essentially being forced to be converted to Catalyst. No need to AirDrop. A Catalyst app is able to be run natively on macOS, ipadOS, and iOS.

I believe you might have misunderstood the point of airdropping apps between devices. It is to simply to bypass the region lock set by the developers when they submit apps to the App Store.

E.g. if my primary iPhone is set to the American App Store and I’m travelling through Spain or Germany, I wouldn’t need to carry two or three iPhones to access local apps, I could just airdrop the German or Spanish local application to my primary iPhone from my secondary or tertiary iPhone.

It used to be much easier when iTunes had a central app repository, not so much anymore.

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
1. allow for an entire home screen & all of its apps to be moved to different positions on the overview screen, eg., move screen #2 to position #4 by dragging and dropping it

2. allow for app library "folders" to be customized, ie to be renamed, and to move apps into the library "folder" of my choice (no, this is not what you can do with regular folders already. I like the option of easily "uninstalling", ie moving apps into a library "folder" instead of deleting them. Means, in case renaming/reorganizing library "folders" will be allowed, a "general library folder" will have to be added, where all the "uninstalled" apps go, to be then moved to another "folder" of choice by the user. This would also preserve the well-regarded option of displaying all apps in list form & alphabetical order, which also doesn't work when putting apps into "regular" folders)

3. quickly add widgets which were available & popular in the old, pre-iOS14 form, and are now missing in action, like eg the phonebook favorites.