I really don’t understand this hurry to compare the two systems. Frankly.

I don’t think Android widgets are an embarrassment. It works really great for me. Tons of widgets, for tons of apps. Ok, they could evolve more in the last decade but, hey, it just works. That’s all we want, isn’t it?

At same time, I don’t think iOS widgets are better or worse. It’s simply impossible to compare, yet. Sure it looks more polished, but right now there isn’t many apps with widgets options yet, so they are pretty much useless for me. For now.

I would wait some more months to try to compare them. And even then knowing they are completely different animals.
    Nah. I love it when people compare the two and come to the conclusion that Apple does it better
    parker5011, FFR and Annie_M like this.
    09-26-2020 12:25 PM
    I really don’t understand this hurry to compare the two systems. Frankly.

I don’t think Android widgets are an embarrassment. It works really great for me. Tons of widgets, for tons of apps. Ok, they could evolve more in the last decade but, hey, it just works. That’s all we want, isn’t it?

At same time, I don’t think iOS widgets are better or worse. It’s simply impossible to compare, yet. Sure it looks more polished, but right now there isn’t many apps with widgets options yet, so they are pretty much useless for me. For now.

I would wait some more months to try to compare them. And even then knowing they are completely different animals.
    I’m with you, but we both know the comparisons will continue. Like you, I couldn’t care less what one has over the other. I know what I like and that’s all that matters.

In regard to the widgets, I suppose if I were a dedicated Android user, I would notice the difference if brought to my attention, but again, as long as the widget worked on the device I was using, I wouldn’t care how it looked on the other device.
    aximtreo and ladyc0524 like this.
    09-26-2020 12:34 PM
    somebody at work has an android and I have helped her. hers get slower and slower by day it seems like
    09-26-2020 03:03 PM
    somebody at work has an android and I have helped her. hers get slower and slower by day it seems like
    What gets slower?
    Chris Cook5 likes this.
    09-26-2020 04:13 PM
    Android has way more widgets.
    As far as Mac OS 5 had widgets, what does that matter? We’re talking phones.
    I do like having the ability to stack widgets. Very cool and saves home screen space!
    09-26-2020 04:16 PM
    Nah. I love it when people compare the two and come to the conclusion that Apple does it better
    It gets even better when android users come to that conclusion, Android central and the editor of the verge were just icing on the cake.
    Tartarus likes this.
    09-27-2020 10:25 AM
    2020 and people are still talking about widgets? An absolute embarrassment is being locked into one phone or one OS. Widgets are so 2009.
    09-27-2020 07:53 PM
    2020 and people are still talking about widgets? An absolute embarrassment is being locked into one phone or one OS. Widgets are so 2009.
    Email has been around long before widgets and we are still using it so what’s the big deal if people are still into widgets in 2020?
    09-27-2020 08:25 PM
    I removed your last post. Please read the rules and regulations. No member will disrespect, belittle or treat another member in this way. No need to respond. First and last warning.
    09-27-2020 08:36 PM
    For me personally, not sure there is any 'competition' per se', between Android's version, and Apple's version.
    However, I do feel there are a lot of options that need to be offered from Apple, to help truly develop iOS widgets.

Alas, time will tell...
    09-27-2020 08:47 PM
    Here’s my take:

Android has many more widgets available. Win Android.

Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.

Apple’s widgets are more aesthetically pleasing. Win Apple.

Stackable widgets! Win Apple.

It’s a tie. End of argument.
    tee_cup and firstborn80 like this.
    09-27-2020 08:58 PM
    Here’s my take:

Android has many more widgets available. Win Android.

Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.

Apple’s widgets are more aesthetically pleasing. Win Apple.

Stackable widgets! Win Apple.

I agree with your assessment.
    09-27-2020 10:22 PM
    Android has way more widgets.
    Here’s my take:
    Android has many more widgets available. Win Android. Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.
    The topic of the thread and the article posted is that widgets on android have become stagnant and look quite dated and not the quantity or customizability of said dated and stagnate widgets available on android.

That seems to have frustrated many android users documented on the initial post wanting better quality widgets for their platform.

As far as Mac OS 5 had widgets, what does that matter? We’re talking phones.
    I disagree with your assertion. Android and iOS have replaced traditional computers for a lot of consumers, so the comparison to Mac OS holds, apple did have widgets first on their platform before android.

what does that matter? We’re talking phones.
    The reason that matters is because android went from copying blackberry to basically copying Mac OS. E.g. the status bar, the app drawer and widgets. but that is a discussion for another thread.

I sincerely doubt you only use your smartphone for making and receiving phone calls, so “we are talking phones” is a rather disingenuous talking point in 2020.

Far from it, the new widgets on iOS seems to have riled up ardent android users, quite a bit.

You should browse the Twitter thread in the initial post, many android users disagree with your opinion on the matter, including but not limited to the editor of the verge and android central.
    09-28-2020 04:05 AM
    What gets slower?
    Just the phone in general. whenever you Tap an app it takes forever
    09-29-2020 12:55 PM
    The topic of the thread and the article posted is that widgets on android have become stagnant and look quite dated and not the quantity or customizability of said dated and stagnate widgets available on android.

That seems to have frustrated many android users documented on the initial post wanting better quality widgets for their platform.

I disagree with your assertion. Android and iOS have replaced traditional computers for a lot of consumers, so the comparison to Mac OS holds, apple did have widgets first on their platform before android.

The reason that matters is because android went from copying blackberry to basically copying Mac OS. E.g. the status bar, the app drawer and widgets. but that is a discussion for another thread.

I sincerely doubt you only use your smartphone for making and receiving phone calls, so “we are talking phones” is a rather disingenuous talking point in 2020.

Far from it, the new widgets on iOS seems to have riled up ardent android users, quite a bit.

You should browse the Twitter thread in the initial post, many android users disagree with your opinion on the matter, including but not limited to the editor of the verge and android central.
    LOL, much of a fanboy? What a one sided argument.
    I’m not on Twitter, sorry, just a bunch of children. I am on Android Central though and most are laughing that finally Apple has widgets on their phones and fanboys like you are all giddy. Whatever gets you through the day. 🤣
    09-30-2020 03:46 PM
    Just the phone in general. whenever you Tap an app it takes forever
    Must be an old or very basic phone.
    09-30-2020 03:47 PM
    I’m not on Twitter, sorry, just a bunch of children. I am on Android Central though and most are laughing that finally Apple has widgets on their phones and fanboys like you are all giddy. Whatever gets you through the day.
    I am a fanboy and I take offense.
    09-30-2020 03:47 PM
    I am a fanboy and I take offense.
    I bet you’ll get over it though.
    Tartarus and aximtreo like this.
    09-30-2020 03:48 PM
    Not really. Your arguments were rather poor and quite inaccurate to say the least.

No need to become emotional.

I’m not on Twitter, sorry, just a bunch of children.
    It would seem everyone that doesn’t agree with you is a child or a fanboy, you must be very successful in life.

Incidentally, I completely agree with you, the editor of the verge is a child As for the android fans on Twitter and android central, why not? You can’t be wrong about everything.

I am on Android Central though and most are laughing that finally Apple has widgets on their phones
    Of course you are, that much clear. Well it would seem that not everyone on android central are laughing or did you miss the article posted.

Are you sure you really use an iPhone? You keep asserting that widgets on iOS are new, perhaps compared to the dated widgets on android, but iPhone have had widgets for a while now.

and fanboys like you are all giddy. Whatever gets you through the day.
    How so?
    As I still do not use widgets on the home screens, perhaps you are confusing me with somebody else?

Although I do find it rather entertaining how some android fans seem to be reacting.
    Last edited by FFR; 10-01-2020 at 08:33 PM.
    10-01-2020 08:21 PM
    Sorry, I can’t read your response. I blocked you. 🤣
    Spencerdl, FFR, Tartarus and 1 others like this.
    10-01-2020 08:55 PM
    Sorry, I can’t read your response. I blocked you.
    It didn’t look like you were reading anything on the thread to begin with .

I humbly accept your apology.
    10-01-2020 09:03 PM
    The widgets are nice but very clickbaity title.
    10-02-2020 02:53 AM
    Sorry, I can’t read your response. I blocked you.
    Tartarus and FFR like this.
    10-04-2020 11:53 PM
    The widgets are nice but very clickbaity title.
    It is a bit clickbaity, however I suspect the author of the title as well as the article are quite miffed that android widgets have gotten pretty stale as apple has surpassed android in that feature set.

One thing is for sure, it seems to have riled up some ardent android fans quite a bit.
    10-10-2020 05:25 AM
    Has anyone had frequent issues with simple widgets ie 'ClockFace' second hand stopping although hour and minute hand show normally and correctly. It took an uninstall/ reinstall to at least temporarily correct this issue. I've had glitches with several, mostly 3rd party although the 'Reminders' widget also does not always accurately reflect changes in status of current reminders. I realize that there's a lot of 'trial & error involved in such significant changes and expect that iOS 14.2 may correct some issues and bugs. Am I alone on this??
    10-13-2020 07:28 AM
52 123