iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Well...1st of all, I tried to be a little ironic, not totally serious - and apparently failed.
2ndly, I don't understand the correlation between Watch OS development and iOS widgets. My lack of insight, probably.

Quite so. Being accurate or inaccurate has very little to do with irony or sarcasm.

It’s rather simple really and the primary reason apple homescreen widgets make android widgets look dated.

Last, but not least, I don't understand in which way the new iOS widgets are supposed to be superior to Android's. Based on my somewhat outdated knowledge about Android widgets, they are:

free sizable (iOS 3 predefined sizes max)
can be positioned anywhere on screen (iOS not entirely)
updating dynamically (same as iOS).

Well you should write to android central and find out, But you seem that you want to shift the topic from android widgets looking outdated to being superior due to positioning.

But frankly you should first read the article or browse the Twitter thread. Seems like you haven’t, you know if you really want to be accurate and not ironic.

Once more for accuracy’s sake; “iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment

And frankly it does even with androids ability to “resize” the widgets and positioning .

iOS widgets do look nicer, but that is with many iOS things, Oh yes, and there are widget stacks, which Android can't do, afaik (not sure).

That’s is basically the point of the article andTwitter thread.

You should really read the article or Twitter thread.

Can’t tell if your entire post was ironic or not, but it certainly was entertaining, thank you for that.

FWIW, iOS has had widgets, including for third party apps, for quite a few years. They were just not able to be placed on any home screen - they were all placed on a special "Today" home screen.

Exactly. The article and its position on Android’s dated widgets certainly seems to have struck a nerve.

I've been aware of that of course.
Didn't feel like having to mention this explicitly, as the entire thread is about the new iOS14 home screen widgets.

Of course

But for the sake of accuracy, that’s not what you posted. Perhaps you are being ironic again?

In case of Google, they not only have had widgets since a decade, but also thousands of 3rd party app developers, creating widgets.
Apple never had that, until last week.
Now they have it, and of the 15 or so widgets that were released initially, many look nice.
All Android apps that I'm aware of, that were released in the last decade, came with a load of widgets to choose from.
If Apple had widgets since a decade or so, I'm sure we would face a similar situation.

Apple has had widgets on Mac OS X way before android did.

It was called dashboard way back in 2005, you can look it up if you want. It also predates google buying Andy rubins blackberry knockoff, android.

Your not very accurate. But your posts certainly are entertaining.

Last edited:

gnirkatto

Nov 4, 2017
Visit site
Quite so. Being accurate or inaccurate has very little to do with irony or sarcasm.

It’s rather simple really and the primary reason apple homescreen widgets make android widgets look dated.

Well you should write to android central and find out, But you seem that you want to shift the topic from android widgets looking outdated to being superior due to positioning.

But frankly you should first read the article or browse the Twitter thread. Seems like you haven’t, you know if you really want to be accurate and not ironic.

Once more for accuracy’s sake; “iOS 14 widgets make Android's look like an absolute embarrassment

And frankly it does even with androids ability to “resize” the widgets and positioning .

That’s is basically the point of the article andTwitter thread.

You should really read the article or Twitter thread.

Can’t tell if your entire post was ironic or not, but it certainly was entertaining, thank you for that.

Exactly. The article and its position on Android’s dated widgets certainly seems to have struck a nerve.

Of course

But for the sake of accuracy, that’s not what you posted. Perhaps you are being ironic again?

Apple has had widgets on Mac OS X way before android did.

It was called dashboard way back in 2005, you can look it up if you want. It also predates google buying Andy rubins blackberry knockoff, android.

Your not very accurate. But your posts certainly are entertaining.
well...OK.

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I really don’t understand this hurry to compare the two systems. Frankly.

I don’t think Android widgets are an embarrassment. It works really great for me. Tons of widgets, for tons of apps. Ok, they could evolve more in the last decade but, hey, it just works. That’s all we want, isn’t it?

At same time, I don’t think iOS widgets are better or worse. It’s simply impossible to compare, yet. Sure it looks more polished, but right now there isn’t many apps with widgets options yet, so they are pretty much useless for me. For now.

I would wait some more months to try to compare them. And even then knowing they are completely different animals.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site

I don’t think Android widgets are an embarrassment. It works really great for me. Tons of widgets, for tons of apps. Ok, they could evolve more in the last decade but, hey, it just works. That’s all we want, isn’t it?

At same time, I don’t think iOS widgets are better or worse. It’s simply impossible to compare, yet. Sure it looks more polished, but right now there isn’t many apps with widgets options yet, so they are pretty much useless for me. For now.

I would wait some more months to try to compare them. And even then knowing they are completely different animals.

Nah. I love it when people compare the two and come to the conclusion that Apple does it better

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

I’m with you, but we both know the comparisons will continue. Like you, I couldn’t care less what one has over the other. I know what I like and that’s all that matters.

In regard to the widgets, I suppose if I were a dedicated Android user, I would notice the difference if brought to my attention, but again, as long as the widget worked on the device I was using, I wouldn’t care how it looked on the other device.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Android has way more widgets.
As far as Mac OS 5 had widgets, what does that matter? We’re talking phones.
I do like having the ability to stack widgets. Very cool and saves home screen space!

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Nah. I love it when people compare the two and come to the conclusion that Apple does it better

It gets even better when android users come to that conclusion, Android central and the editor of the verge were just icing on the cake.

anon(41073)

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site
2020 and people are still talking about widgets? An absolute embarrassment is being locked into one phone or one OS. Widgets are so 2009.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
2020 and people are still talking about widgets? An absolute embarrassment is being locked into one phone or one OS. Widgets are so 2009.

Email has been around long before widgets and we are still using it so what’s the big deal if people are still into widgets in 2020?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I removed your last post. Please read the rules and regulations. No member will disrespect, belittle or treat another member in this way. No need to respond. First and last warning.

anon(10700196)

Jul 18, 2020
Visit site
For me personally, not sure there is any 'competition' per se', between Android's version, and Apple's version.
However, I do feel there are a lot of options that need to be offered from Apple, to help truly develop iOS widgets.

Alas, time will tell...

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Here’s my take:

Android has many more widgets available. Win Android.

Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.

Apple’s widgets are more aesthetically pleasing. Win Apple.

Stackable widgets! Win Apple.

It’s a tie. End of argument.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Here’s my take:

Android has many more widgets available. Win Android.

Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.

Apple’s widgets are more aesthetically pleasing. Win Apple.

Stackable widgets! Win Apple.

I agree with your assessment.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Android has way more widgets.
Here’s my take:
Android has many more widgets available. Win Android. Android’s widgets have more customization. Sometimes one widget has 6 or 8 varieties. Win Android.

The topic of the thread and the article posted is that widgets on android have become stagnant and look quite dated and not the quantity or customizability of said dated and stagnate widgets available on android.

That seems to have frustrated many android users documented on the initial post wanting better quality widgets for their platform.

As far as Mac OS 5 had widgets, what does that matter? We’re talking phones.

I disagree with your assertion. Android and iOS have replaced traditional computers for a lot of consumers, so the comparison to Mac OS holds, apple did have widgets first on their platform before android.

what does that matter? We’re talking phones.

The reason that matters is because android went from copying blackberry to basically copying Mac OS. E.g. the status bar, the app drawer and widgets. but that is a discussion for another thread.

I sincerely doubt you only use your smartphone for making and receiving phone calls, so “we are talking phones” is a rather disingenuous talking point in 2020.

Far from it, the new widgets on iOS seems to have riled up ardent android users, quite a bit.

You should browse the Twitter thread in the initial post, many android users disagree with your opinion on the matter, including but not limited to the editor of the verge and android central.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
The topic of the thread and the article posted is that widgets on android have become stagnant and look quite dated and not the quantity or customizability of said dated and stagnate widgets available on android.

That seems to have frustrated many android users documented on the initial post wanting better quality widgets for their platform.

I disagree with your assertion. Android and iOS have replaced traditional computers for a lot of consumers, so the comparison to Mac OS holds, apple did have widgets first on their platform before android.

The reason that matters is because android went from copying blackberry to basically copying Mac OS. E.g. the status bar, the app drawer and widgets. but that is a discussion for another thread.

I sincerely doubt you only use your smartphone for making and receiving phone calls, so “we are talking phones” is a rather disingenuous talking point in 2020.

Far from it, the new widgets on iOS seems to have riled up ardent android users, quite a bit.

You should browse the Twitter thread in the initial post, many android users disagree with your opinion on the matter, including but not limited to the editor of the verge and android central.

LOL, much of a fanboy? What a one sided argument.
I’m not on Twitter, sorry, just a bunch of children. I am on Android Central though and most are laughing that finally Apple has widgets on their phones and fanboys like you are all giddy. Whatever gets you through the day. 🤣

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2