Instant Hotspot broken after each update.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I have a very annoying issue when updating to a new iOS11 Beta, after each update the Instant Hotspot feature stops working and it can only be fixed by logging off from iCloud and logging in again. Sounds like a very simple fix but by doing that my 40GB iCloud Photo Library has to be re-sync, meaning being uploaded and download do my phone again. Not to mention downloading all my music again. Anyone also having this problem? The Personal Hotspot works fine after each update, the problem is the Instant Hotspot that is linked to the iCloud account. Tried many fixes before logging off from iCloud but no avail.
Any suggestion is welcomed, already made a bug report to Apple.
Regards.

Last edited:

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Tried resetting Network Settings? Go to Settings, General, Reset, then Reset Network Settings. This will NOT reset your device, but it will clear out all saved WiFi and other network settings. This MAY help.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, tried that already along with changing the phone’s name, switching data off, multiple resets, etc.... last night after Beta 6 installation I logged off and on to iCloud and it works again. Unfortunately one more time I’ll need to sync my 40GB photo library.
Wonder if I’m the only one facing the issue with Instant Hotspot.
Regards

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Is there any dependency with the carrier? I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that the mobile provider has to "authorize" the hotspot feature each time its turned on.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
The carrier can block personal hotspot and charged aside if they want to. But that’s not the case here, good news is that Beta 7 aparently fixed it.... after the update Instant Hotspot still works.????????????

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Ok I marked the beta 7 update as the "solution" ;)

Not really, still struggling with this problem after each 11.1 beta update. Although logging off and on again to iCloud fixes the problem, to sync 40GB of my photo library is a real pain. So today after facing this same issue with iOS 11.1 B3 I came up with a break thru by restoring the Instant Hotspot functionality without logging off my phone. Still need to figure out what exactly fixed the problem, waiting for the next update to break it again, but what I did was to go to my iCloud account on my Mac and remove my iPhone from the device list. As soon as I did that the phone prompts for my Apple ID password. I also did some rebooting and resets... so not sure at what point the problem was fixed. The only thing that I’m sure of is that removing my device from the list and to add it again has something to do with it because it was the only thing I never tried before. Also turned keychain on and off so that might also had something to do with it. Still a little bit confusing but next time I’ll do things step by step and hopefully sort out what actually did the trick.
Regards.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm really surprised to be the only person having this issue... even after a clean iOS11 install the problem with Instant Hotspot persists and it's consistent after every single beta update, including today's 11.2 Beta1. Since Apple was generous enough to prove us with so many betas lately I was able to narrow down a fix for this issue. All I had to do is to either login into iCloud or go into iCloud settings on my Mac and under devices remove my iPhone from the list. Once that is done the phone will prompt you to type your AppleID password, this will add your phone back to the devices list. Reboot your devices, connect to the internet and Instant Hotspot should work again after a few minutes. If not try rebooting again. Really annoying but that did the trick to me.... just wanna leave this registered since I could not find anything anywhere else. Filling a bug report just in case.
Regards.

prestigiouswireless

Sep 30, 2017
Visit site
I'm really surprised to be the only person having this issue... even after a clean iOS11 install the problem with Instant Hotspot persists and it's consistent after every single beta update, including today's 11.2 Beta1. Since Apple was generous enough to prove us with so many betas lately I was able to narrow down a fix for this issue. All I had to do is to either login into iCloud or go into iCloud settings on my Mac and under devices remove my iPhone from the list. Once that is done the phone will prompt you to type your AppleID password, this will add your phone back to the devices list. Reboot your devices, connect to the internet and Instant Hotspot should work again after a few minutes. If not try rebooting again. Really annoying but that did the trick to me.... just wanna leave this registered since I could not find anything anywhere else. Filling a bug report just in case.
Regards.

I’ve been able to toggle personal hotspot off and on and it’ll kick it back on

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I guess you are mistaking Personal Hotspot with Instant Hotspot where there should be no need to toggle it on as long as you have your phone close to the computer.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I guess you are mistaking Personal Hotspot with Instant Hotspot where there should be no need to toggle it on as long as you have your phone close to the computer.

Not sure. I have personal hotspot off, but my MBP still shows my phone under "Personal Hotspot" when I click my wifi menu. I clicked it and it switched right over. I'm on Sierra (haven't upgraded to High Sierra yet) and 11.2 dev beta.

DugMickGee

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue with Instant Hotspot not working. Can’t see it from my iMac nor my iPad Pro. All devices up to date with latest iOS releases and Mac OS releases (non beta). Haven’t tried signing out of iCloud yet on any devices because doing so is such a pain. Just wanted to add in to confirm that this seems to be an issue.

Luiz Brunner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same issue with Instant Hotspot not working. Can’t see it from my iMac nor my iPad Pro. All devices up to date with latest iOS releases and Mac OS releases (non beta). Haven’t tried signing out of iCloud yet on any devices because doing so is such a pain. Just wanted to add in to confirm that this seems to be an issue.

You might wanna try the solution I posted above, the one where you don't actually need to logoff from iCloud.
Regards.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

You are correct. Instant Hotspot is part of Apple’s Continuity and Handoff feature, for it to work all your devices you want to participate need to be on the same Apple ID.

I had the opposite problem with iOS 11 betas early on, where my iPad would connect to my phone’s data via Instant Hotspot without my explicit consent.

Auronda40

Sep 8, 2017
Visit site
does anyone know why my iPhone hotspot toggled itself on while i was connected to my iMac today? Just turned itself right on while i was plugged into iTunes. Is it that my iMac did it automatically because its wifi connection was spotty or something?

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2