Is this a new feature?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have iOS 11 PB 3 and an Apple TV on tvOS 11 PB3. I’ve just noticed that you can adjust the volume of the TV when you have the AppleTV Control Centre app open and press the volume buttons on the iPhone.

I’ve never tried it on iOS 10 and TvOS 10.... can anyone confirm?

It’s the little things like that which makes iOS 11 so great. Providing your TV supports HDMI-CEC of course

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
It may or may not be new. I can’t say for sure, I know the remote that came with my Apple TV controls the volume of my TV so I’m not surprised to see it work this way.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I have iOS 11 PB 3 and an Apple TV on tvOS 11 PB3. I’ve just noticed that you can adjust the volume of the TV when you have the AppleTV Control Centre app open and press the volume buttons on the iPhone.

I’ve never tried it on iOS 10 and TvOS 10.... can anyone confirm?

It’s the little things like that which makes iOS 11 so great. Providing your TV supports HDMI-CEC of course

Yes it was there with iOS 10 If i recall correctly.
It’s a nice feature.

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I dunno about the Apple TV, but I've been able to use the volume buttons on my phone with the Sonos, Harmony, and U-verse apps in iOS 10/11 to control the volume on our tv/sound system throughout the house. I honestly don't recall weather or not I noticed it in iOS 9. I don't see why it would not of already been working with the Apple TV app since it's been working with other 3rd party apps.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve reverted my ATV to TVos 10 and it doesn’t work. It’s odd how Apple haven’t shouted about this as it’s a fantastic feature and saves me having to find a remote.
Nothing more annoying than using the ATV app then having to look for a remote anyway for the volume

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply’s. I’ve reverted my ATV to TVos 10 and it doesn’t work. It’s odd how Apple haven’t shouted about this as it’s a fantastic feature and saves me having to find a remote.
Nothing more annoying than using the ATV app then having to look for a remote anyway for the volume

Ah, I found this (not sure if it will help you as I dunno your setup... weather or not you have a receiver you can use);

Receivers with HDMI-CEC volume support let you adjust volume with the volume buttons on the side of your iOS device. You just need to plug your Apple TV directly into your receiver (not into your television).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204989

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2