Android 7.1.1's attempt to replicate 3d touch shortcut functionality.

KillerQ

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I'm a huge android fan,

But, The 'new' app shortcut is too little too late as it doesn't feel baked-in natively, and feels more like a 3rd party Launcher app gimmicky feature.

I'm Comparing this to the 3d touch method on the new iPhones, of course....

Just another example of where Apple is executing something in a manner that can't be touched!

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a huge android fan,

But, The 'new' app shortcut is too little too late as it doesn't feel baked-in natively, and feels more like a 3rd party Launcher app gimmicky feature.

Just another example of where Apple is executing something in a manner that can't be touched!

I'd be interested in seeing how it performs on the Pixel before I judge it. I honestly haven't read if that feature is coming to older devices or if it's limited to the new Pixel devices.

I'm not sure I'd call it a gimmick though. I'm personally not a fan of that word. Technically everything is a gimmick until people find the usefulness of it. Cameras in phones were a gimmick. Now we'd laugh if a phone released without one.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm a huge android fan,

iOS has had long press options for some time now for phones that do not have 3D touch.

Chuck_IV

Apr 12, 2016
Visit site
3D touch isn't long touch. Unless the device has a pressure sensitive screen, you won't get an experience like the iPhone

This is where Android always struggles vs ios because it is written as a generic operating system. What I mean by that is it was never written to take advantage of features for a specific piece of hardware.

Now the Pixel may change that though, but I don't recall seeing anything about a pressure sensitive screen.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
3D touch isn't long touch. Unless the device has a pressure sensitive screen, you won't get an experience like the iPhone

This is where Android always struggles vs ios because it is written as a generic operating system. What I mean by that is it was never written to take advantage of features for a specific piece of hardware.

Now the Pixel may change that though, but I don't recall seeing anything about a pressure sensitive screen.

You are correct. 3D Touch isn't long touch. Sorry for any confusion. I think that Android's interpretation is more like iOS long touch and not 3D touch.