Is there a way to stop the iOS 10 update reminder?

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I'd heard something to that effect when the 10 first came out and was eager to try it on my always getting stuck 4s, but Apple only updated from iPhone 5 and up. I'm still very cautious, even with my 7 plus. I check online to see what the update does before allowing it.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I'd heard something to that effect when the 10 first came out and was eager to try it on my always getting stuck 4s, but Apple only updated from iPhone 5 and up. I'm still very cautious, even with my 7 plus. I check online to see what the update does before allowing it.

I was running iOS 9 on my old iPad Mini original with the same A5 chip as the iPhone 4S, and it was running fine. It only had 512 MB of RAM, but it was okay.

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I was running iOS 9 on my old iPad Mini original with the same A5 chip as the iPhone 4S, and it was running fine. It only had 512 MB of RAM, but it was okay.
"Years of use, which are based on first owners, are assumed to be four years for OS X and tvOS devices and three years for iOS and watchOS devices." Yeah, so that iPhone of yours is actually only meant to last about a year longer than your contract.Apr 18, 2016
This is how long you iPhone is ACTUALLY supposed to last
Apple's website says pretty much the same thing, only in greater detail.

What I'm saying is, the phones are meant to deteriorate, and upgrades are meant to keep up with the newer phones. My iPhone is still mechanically excellent. The battery will hold a charge for days in sleep, but it fails to function adequately when I need it. It sticks, it takes forever to wake from sleep, it takes up to 20 seconds to open the phone app if I'm trying to make a call in a hurry. In an emergency, it could cost precious moments.

Yes, from what I've read, iOS 10 has surprised a lot of critics because it breaks the mold of planned obsolescence that Apple has been known for, so far. It's only up to v10.1.1. which is really only the original release with one update to fix broken upgrades and a second to fix a bug in the second. So, let's wait and see.

So, my opinion is based on Apple's own lifespan estimates, not anyone's personal usage.

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I appreciate your position, and I'm not advising you to not update. I'm speaking for myself. I just shelled out a huge amount of money for an iPhone 7 Plus with128 GB storage. I plan on keeping it longer than three years. If someone has an iPhone 5 and the update has improved their phone, that's great, but I wouldn't keep updating it. They aren't meant to last forever, and as the subreddit I've posted shows, they seem to be meant to fail. If your phone is working great now, it should work that way for a long time. I wish I'd known that when I first got my 4s and updated it to iOS 7. It never worked the same afterward. For a while iOS 9 had made some improvement, especially with battery usage, but it never regained that new phone feel it had before the 7. It's now become just a beautiful but useless piece of hardware.

Also, a point that sticks with me is that Apple won't let you back out of an update if it affects your phone's performance. Not being able to opt out, other than ignoring the distracting red notification icon, also makes it difficult to think it's a neutral process.

Again, it's just my opinion, but it's one that's held by a lot of iPhone users, as the Reddit link shows.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate your position, and I'm not advising you to not update. I'm speaking for myself. I just shelled out a huge amount of money for an iPhone 7 Plus with128 GB storage. I plan on keeping it longer than three years. If someone has an iPhone 5 and the update has improved their phone, that's great, but I wouldn't keep updating it. They aren't meant to last forever, and as the subreddit I've posted shows, they seem to be meant to fail. If your phone is working great now, it should work that way for a long time. I wish I'd known that when I first got my 4s and updated it to iOS 7. It never worked the same afterward. For a while iOS 9 had made some improvement, especially with battery usage, but it never regained that new phone feel it had before the 7. It's now become just a beautiful but useless piece of hardware.

Also, a point that sticks with me is that Apple won't let you back out of an update if it affects your phone's performance. Not being able to opt out, other than ignoring the distracting red notification icon, also makes it difficult to think it's a neutral process.

Again, it's just my opinion, but it's one that's held by a lot of iPhone users, as the Reddit link shows.

If you don't update you will eventually miss out on apps that no longer work on your OS. Not to mention new features and options. My iPhone 5 works fine on iOS 9.3.5. My Wife's 5c works fine on iOS 10.1.1. But neither will be updated to iOS 11.

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Also, you miss critical security updates.
I wonder about that. I had a Windows Vista laptop that I ran nonstop, connected to the internet for a year and a half, with the updates shut off (by accident) and never had a problem with it running smoothly, or with malware. Perhaps this is why I have the confidence in saying I think updates can be a bad thing. I suppose if a virus or a specific attack were being mentioned in the news, I would update just to be safe, but to routinely update as a matter of rote, I don't think I will.

It would also depend on what use the phone is getting. If it is a corporate phone, I should think they would replace it periodically and, as you say, security would be the number one concern.

An important point I need to mention: I always check online after there is an update to see what the community response is. Sometimes you'll find that the update has bugs. For instance, the recent 10.0 update was often failing to install properly. iOS 10 Update Problem Fails, Requires iTunes to Fix Bricked iPhone & iPad | OSXDaily They fixed it immediately with 10.1 but introduced a bug that disabled Apple's Health App. So they released 10.1.1 to fix that. If you had upgraded to 10.0 without a hitch and just waited, you would not have to update to a broken 10.1 only to have to update again to fix the problem caused by the update. Sound confusing? It is, but it doesn't have to be.

I've found from my own experience creating downloadable gaming and customization mods, that many of my updates were to fix bugs caused by being in a hurry to upload something before it was fully tested (yes, mea culpa). To me, updates done one after another in rapid succession, suggest such errors. So, the question is, when do you stop the cycle? My answer, as the saying goes: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Rod Sprague

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
An older phone does not receive update notifications for incompatible upgrades and there is a big difference between updates and upgrades.
Upgrades are new iOS, e.g iOS 9 to iOS 10, an update which usually fixes bugs and supplies updated security data is e.g. iOS 10.0.1 to iOS 10.1.1.
In my opinion everyone should install updates.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
An older phone does not receive update notifications for incompatible upgrades and there is a big difference between updates and upgrades.
Upgrades are new iOS, e.g iOS 9 to iOS 10, an update which usually fixes bugs and supplies updated security data is e.g. iOS 10.0.1 to iOS 10.1.1.

Those are all updates. An upgrade is like a newer phone. For example, from an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 7.

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
there is a big difference between updates and upgrades.

Excellent point! I agree with your advice. iOS 10 is an upgrade. And from what I understand, a good one for some older phones. When I first bought the iPhone 6s Plus I immediately upgraded. This is the thing, I started having problems with it and by the next day the phone froze while installing a random app. I had to do a hard reset and it stuck on the Apple logo at reboot. Now I had a brand new, bricked, iPhone 6s Plus. I shelled out the extra cash and replaced it with the 7 Plus after returning it for a full refund.

Whether or not, and I doubt that the upgrade to iOS 10 is what caused the brick, I was going to play it on the safe side. As I've said on this forum topic, I plan on keeping this overpriced "telephone" a lot longer than the 3 year shelf life Apple gives it. My iPhone 4s is still in perfect condition despite the 3 1/2 years Ive had it. If not for its erratic performance trying to process iOS 9, I would still be using it.

An older phone does not receive update notifications for incompatible upgrades
Is this certain? For instance, if I don't upgrade to iOS 11, will the update notices stop because I'm still on iOS 10? This would be a worldview change for me. I'll check on that. Thanks.

Alain_A

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
So an OS from year to year is an upgrade. I'd say more of a huge update as it retain the basic function. They just add more fonctionality to it.
I don't think they restart from scratch

oloongt

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Those are all updates. An upgrade is like a newer phone. For example, from an iPhone 5s to an iPhone 7.

I think it's a matter of wordplay. Yes, you can become eligible for an "upgrade" to a newer phone with your carrier, but buying a new phone is not technically an upgrade, it's just a new phone, like "upgrading" to a more powerful laptop. But, moving from iOS 9 to iOS 10, though technically an "update", it changes the way your phone looks and operates. When iOS switched from 6 to 7 the change was like day and night. iPhones went from glorified Blackberry to Windows 10 overnight. Calling that an upgrade is appropriate, in my opinion.

MMA McBride

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
A little background...I'm asking for my boss who is technologically challenged and does not want to upgrade nor become technologically proficient. She said that she is getting multiple reminders a day to update and wants them to stop. My thought is that since "Agree" must be hit twice before it will begin the download process, can she just hit cancel and that will stop both the update and reminders?? Anyone have any experience with this?

I have never had this issue, because I'm always updating on release day. It will also do no good to argue with her on the reasons to upgrade. Trust me on this. Thanks for any input!

Hey man! I'm having the same issue. I fixed it so far: settings>iTunes & App Store > uncheck Updates.

Should fix your problem!!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Excellent point! I agree with your advice. iOS 10 is an upgrade. And from what I understand, a good one for some older phones. When I first bought the iPhone 6s Plus I immediately upgraded. This is the thing, I started having problems with it and by the next day the phone froze while installing a random app. I had to do a hard reset and it stuck on the Apple logo at reboot. Now I had a brand new, bricked, iPhone 6s Plus. I shelled out the extra cash and replaced it with the 7 Plus after returning it for a full refund.

Whether or not, and I doubt that the upgrade to iOS 10 is what caused the brick, I was going to play it on the safe side. As I've said on this forum topic, I plan on keeping this overpriced "telephone" a lot longer than the 3 year shelf life Apple gives it. My iPhone 4s is still in perfect condition despite the 3 1/2 years Ive had it. If not for its erratic performance trying to process iOS 9, I would still be using it.

Is this certain? For instance, if I don't upgrade to iOS 11, will the update notices stop because I'm still on iOS 10? This would be a worldview change for me. I'll check on that. Thanks.

Which phone? The 4s will not be compatible with iOS 11. So no notifications. The 7 will be compatible. So if you don't update you'll get the notifications.

janw47

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
There's a problem with this. There are two messages. Possibly one about the download and one about the install. You still get the install message anyhow and have to answer Later or something. Plus I had an issue where it wouldn't connect to WiFi anymore after the download. That took awhile to figure out. Because Apple doesn't plan for renegade behavior, you could end up with a problem from not doing what they expect..

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77