Canceling IOS10 OTA update?

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Is there a way to cancel the OTA update process once started?
Been reading other people's experience on the update while waiting for the download to complete, and now I'd like to postpone updating.
Any suggestions?

I know that "not connecting to WiFi" can be an option, but I'd like to consider that as the last option.

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
It could but seems it would be easier to use airplane mode. What's the reason to not do that?

I wanted to completely cancel the update process, and airplane mode just pauses it for me.
Also, I'd like to be able to use my phone normally (using both cellular data and WiFi) until I decide (again) to update.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
You're just stopping it temporarily. You will be able to use your phone. Takes a minute or so at most.

Even if it resumes to download process, it will not install without your approval. After it is done, I believe you can also delete update in settings where you would check your usage and available storage.

nehavas

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Don't install ,or general go to storage and iCloud usage once downloaded and delete the download.I have done that many times earlier updates when they have been pushed through my phone .

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
You're just stopping it temporarily. You will be able to use your phone. Takes a minute or so at most.

Even if it resumes to download process, it will not install without your approval. After it is done, I believe you can also delete update in settings where you would check your usage and available storage.

Don't install ,or general go to storage and iCloud usage once downloaded and delete the download.I have done that many times earlier updates when they have been pushed through my phone .

Thanks for the replies! I'll just let it finish downloading, then try these options after.

apg300

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Quick update.

I allowed the update download to complete, and and did not choose to install immediately.
After a few hours, and after doing a complete backup of my phone, I decided to install IOS10 anyway (despite the "scare" that other posts have been somewhat creating re devices getting "bricked").

Glad to share that my iPhone and iPad are now both on IOS10 --- and I'm loving the new OS version!

On hindsight, I just find it amusing that I got worried because of all the reports and articles I've seen.

Thanks again, robertk328 and nehavas! You both helped a lot with your replies. Cheers!!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2