From Public Beta to 9.3.5 | Unique Situation

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Long story short (as possible), I've never used iCloud. I've always backed my iPhones directly to my MacBook. In the process, of Apple Care helping me with MacBook issue my hard drive was fried and I lost EVERYTHING. You couldn't even login to the MacBook at all in any mode to back up externally, migrate to a new computer, or Target files specifically from the old to the new.

***To the point. I'm now on my iPhone 6s running IOS 10 Public Beta 7. Is there a way to get off the Public Beta even though I have NO back up to return to? Is my only option to reset and start over. My reason for asking is forward thinking really. As is when the full release comes out how I install that and remove the Beta?

Hope that makes sense. Any help would be great.

Vinu Jacob

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
If you do not have a backup, then your only option would be to start from scratch for the current release version. The same as if you had just purchased a new phone. The only suggestion I can offer is to back up just your data to your computer - your pictures/files/etc. then backup everything else to your iCloud account, and once you rebuild your phone, you can restore the data onto the new OS. Hope that helps.

Cheers

apbthe3

May 1, 2012
Visit site
My reason for asking is forward thinking really. As is when the full release comes out how I install that and remove the Beta?

If this is the only reason you want to downgrade, you're fine where you are. You'll get the general release with everyone else so there's no need to downgrade. If you're having issues now though, your options are to either backup now and restore back onto the current beta or to go back to iOS9 and start from scratch.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
If this is the only reason you want to downgrade, you're fine where you are. You'll get the general release with everyone else so there's no need to downgrade. If you're having issues now though, your options are to either backup now and restore back onto the current beta or to go back to iOS9 and start from scratch.

Thanks! Yes this is my only issue. Public Beta 7 works great on my 6s. My fear was with no pre-Beta backup I wouldn't be able to get the Final Release/actual upgrade.

That said, if I buy the iPhone 7 or 7plus then my I'm assuming I should install the iOS release on my 6s, then back that up, then restore that to the 7...?

apbthe3

May 1, 2012
Visit site
That's what I'll end up doing but more out of timing than necessity. In theory the backups should be the same regardless of beta version but you'll get the gold master release a week or so before iOS 10 goes out as an official release; this GM release is almost always the same as the official release so you'll be on the "official" release for a week or so before you actually get your new phone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! Yes this is my only issue. Public Beta 7 works great on my 6s. My fear was with no pre-Beta backup I wouldn't be able to get the Final Release/actual upgrade.

That said, if I buy the iPhone 7 or 7plus then my I'm assuming I should install the iOS release on my 6s, then back that up, then restore that to the 7...?
If you're running the beta, the last beta you get is going to be the same thing as the public final release... If/when you update devices, all you need to do is restore a backup made from the old device to the new one as long as they're both running the same iOS version.

anon(9733642)

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
If you're running the beta, the last beta you get is going to be the same thing as the public final release... If/when you update devices, all you need to do is restore a backup made from the old device to the new one as long as they're both running the same iOS version.

Thanks! That part I get totally! So lastly if I get a 7 or 7plus will I be able to restore from a back up if my only back up is a beta!?

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Just for the record, if you were to downgrade to get back to 9.3.5 you can do it without a backup by doing a manual "update" on iTunes on a computer and installing the 9.3.5 IPSW file that you can download from places like ipsw.me The only issues you would encounter are your messages being deleted and your music app crashing. But once you're downgraded you can just backup while on 9.3.5 and restore 9.3.5 again to fix the Music.app issue and you're good. I've done this a few times now when downgrading from beta to current release.

Edit: Make sure the iTunes backup is encrypted.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2