Storage full on 128GB iPhone; nothing stored on iPhone to justify it

JNM

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Please excuse any typos as I'm using voice recognition :

On Wednesday morning, I had approximately 68 or more gigabytes available space left to use on my iPhone 6 Plus 128 gig. By the afternoon, having not taken a single photo or video, only having made a few calls and sending and receiving text messages, one of which had just two normal pictures in it, I was down to less than 200 MB.

Since this has occurred, I have deleted at least 20 applications from the iPhone, all photos and videos have been removed and stored in Google photos, and I only recovered from those photos 20 GB worth of space on the iPhone. That's approximately the space the photos claimed both before and after this issue occurred.

The vast majority of of the supposedly used storage space is said to be documents and other files according to iTunes however none of those can be accessed by me as I can't find them. Nothing indicate where to look for some unable to delete the suppose it files. How can I fix this problem or do I simply need to completely wipe my iPhone and start fresh without a back up, because of course the iPhone has already automatically backed up, thus backing up the problem which I don't want to restore.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Something isn't right here. Are you sure you're not referring to available iCloud storage? I have around 240 apps, over 11,000 photos, and over 300 videos on my device and still have around 47 GB of local storage left.
Go to Settings > General > About. What is listed under Capacity and Available?
6829f5f563af503f10433e35c4e7a2a9.jpg

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Capacity: 113
Available: 21.9

21.9 GB is definitely more than the 200 MB that you mentioned in your original post. You have over 100 apps. Are they mostly games? Games tend to take up a whole lot of space.
Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage, then tap Managae Storage (the first one, under the Storage header). You'll get a list of what is using up local storage space, ordered by what is taking up the most. Here's mine:
c165767a4c231ac0a1b75c7b4b8731a6.png

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I had this happen to me too. I guess it's an app not fully compatible with the new 'download only content for the specific device you're using' feature, where the AppStore only downloads app content for your specific device screen.

In the old situation an app downloaded all content for 3.5", 4", 4.7" and 5.5" sized whereas in the new situation it only downloads according to your device.
Uninstalling that app and downloading and canceling a few times caused it to give storage free.

But it's hard to determine which app it is, so I finally gave up and made my peace with it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2