RTF Editor Hunt

Marc Jentzsch

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I run Scrivener on a Windows box and I am quite fond of it (Scrivener, but also the Windows box). I also have a shiny new iPad Pro I would like to use to run Scrivener for iOS when it finally appears like a unicorn in the mist. However, this is all somewhat secondary to my real question and serves only to set the stage for my requirements and limitations.

I have been hunting for an iOS RTF editing app that will allow me to dig into my Scrivener projects in Dropbox (or iCloud or Box or...) and edit the RTF files to do writing on the go. I don't need to manage the entire project, only edit the scenes themselves while out and about. I need an RTF editor for iOS that will browse and save to Dropbox and that will handle Scrivener's containers.

Here are my failures:

• Word - I would have expected this to be a home run. Nope. No RTF support in Word for iOS. Browses Cloud storage like a champ tho.
  • RTF Write - Doesn't support opening files from Dropbox. Works with iCloud, but doesn't seem to understand that the .scriv is a container.
  • TextEditor wants to download a file to work with it but I can't figure out how to re-upload it. The Move To option is blank even with Dropbox connected within the app.
  • Textilus Pro wants to 'copy' from the connected cloud services be they iCloud, Dropbox or other, and when I try to re-upload something, it seems unable to see the .scriv containers to replace the file properly.
  • iA Write doesn't recognize RTF files, just TXT. Probably also Markdown but that's neither here nor there.
  • WPS Office won't save as RTF despite opening them.

Storyist has published a method of working with Scrivener projects, and indicates it is also a capable RTF editor in its own right. After dumping money on Textilus and having it fall flat however, I'm a little gunshy.

Others I am considering are Notesy, Notability, Matcha and Knowtes. Maybe the good folk of iMore have some helpful input? Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, someone who is familiar with what you've described will reply soon with some suggestions. In the meantime, feel free to engage in other conversations throughout the forums... ...Take care.

Marc Jentzsch

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Thanks! I suppose I can take Knowtes off the list. Can't find it anymore. Liking the site so far and quite enjoying iOS after a 7 year absence.

Mondozer

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Don't think any of the RTF editors will understand Scrivener unless specifically modified to do so. Storiest has a free trial. Great program. Should do what you want.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77