Please Help - iOS 8.4 Jailbreak Disappearing Icons

thelad1234

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I recently Jailbroke my friend's iPod 5 running 8.4. I backed up before JB'ing, but I can't restore backup because there is 'not enough space'. I don't want to factory reset because It will update to iOS 9. And, before it's posted, I have installed the UI Kit Tools, but have not gotten the 'essential update' message. Most of his home page is gone, as well as the dock. Please help, I have tried almost everything.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully, someone who is knowledgeable in regard to jailbreaking will respond soon. In the meantime, please be patient. Those who frequent this forum are volunteers and may not be available to answer your question as quickly as you'd like.

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest doing some reading into iLex R.A.T. I'm not sure if it'll work with this but it's your best bet. It semi-unjailbreaks devices. Then you can attempt jailbreak again. If this doesn't work, I'm very sorry but I have no other ideas.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hello. I recently Jailbroke my friend's iPod 5 running 8.4. I backed up before JB'ing, but I can't restore backup because there is 'not enough space'. I don't want to factory reset because It will update to iOS 9. And, before it's posted, I have installed the UI Kit Tools, but have not gotten the 'essential update' message. Most of his home page is gone, as well as the dock. Please help, I have tried almost everything.

How quickly after the jailbreak did this happen?
Have you tried reset home screen layout in the settings?

thelad1234

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
How quickly after the jailbreak did this happen?
Have you tried reset home screen layout in the settings?

Here's what happened, in full detail:

I connected the iPod, and jailbroke with TaiG. Everything looked fine. Cydia appeared on the homescreen, and I ran it to set it up. It sat there for a while, and during the setup process, I accidentally clicked off Cydia. I tried to re-open Cydia so that I could re-run the setup. But, when I tried opening it, Cydia would crash. So, I rebooted the device. And that's when the icons were gone. I re-jailbroke because even after reboot Cydia didn't work. The current situation is that I have Cydia fully working, and the UIKit Tools installed, but the major icons are missing. (Music, Settings, etc.) I really do not know what to do. I have installed iLex RAT as per the post above 3cit's. Will check with him today what he wants to do. Please let me know if there is an easier way. Cheers.

[EDIT] The settings app is also gone, so can't try the home screen layout.\

Last edited:

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I am pretty sure you are hosed.
When Cydia quits before actually setting up the file system your phone is toast.
Things that should be in a specific location simply aren't there. The only way to fix it is to restore and rejailbreak. However you are outside of the restore and rejailbreak window.
You have nothing on the device to try to get you out of this state. You don't have ssh installed, so you can't repair your file system with any tools.
I have accidentally quit Cydia while it is setting up, or had the phone sleep while Cydia was setting up and the only fix I have ever known is a restore.

thelad1234

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately I am pretty sure you are hosed.
When Cydia quits before actually setting up the file system your phone is toast.
Things that should be in a specific location simply aren't there. The only way to fix it is to restore and rejailbreak. However you are outside of the restore and rejailbreak window.
You have nothing on the device to try to get you out of this state. You don't have ssh installed, so you can't repair your file system with any tools.
I have accidentally quit Cydia while it is setting up, or had the phone sleep while Cydia was setting up and the only fix I have ever known is a restore.

I fixed it. Restored iPod and re-jailbroke. Thanks for help guys.

3cit

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I hard rebooted the iPod and connected to itunes, I had a backup of the data so I restored the backup.

How did you not end up on ios9?
I always thought that if the phone was messed up like this you needed an actual restore and not just a restore from backup.

Did you actually have to "rejailbreak" it?
Because if you didn't really have to restore it, then you shouldn't have had to rejailbreak it.

I'm confused by this scenario!

famousherself

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I did last week something wrong too and all my apps was gone except the standard apps and Cydia so I reinstalled Cydia installer and it was back. Hope it works for you

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77