How to remove deleted app from iCloud backup

arnoctn

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

sorry for my bad english but I need help and I know that you are the best for that.

I don't understand why when I delete an app from my iPhone the folders for this app are ever on iCloud backup.

For exemple :
I add Facebook app, my iCloud backup is on - so the app data is on iCloud (settings - iCloud - BackUp - Name of my iPhone -> I see Facebook with the green toggle for ON or OFF).
When I delete the app and make a new BackUp to iCloud and go back seeing my backUp contents : Facebook is ever here ! I can choose to turn off the backUp but Facebook is ever on the list and its old data too.

It's very frustrating because I add, test and delete lots of apps. It's just the iPhone game... And my backUp files is bigger and bigger for useless files.

Actually my only solution is to turn off iCloud BackUp on my phone and deleting content. And turn back On. . .

For you it's the normal way how iCloud $BackUp work ?

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this has always annoyed me. The only real way is to delete the app from your device and then delete your iCloud backup and then force a manual backup or if you're happy just wait until the next automatic backup. This will then backup only the apps on your device at that time otherwise it just retains the previous app data in your backup as you're experiencing now.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't mean to diminish your concerns or frustrations but the phone backs up daily so I am not sure why this is an issue.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I presume it's because the backups still contain apps that you have since deleted off the device. It's perfect sense really. If you delete from your device you hardly want to keep a copy of that app in your iCloud backup!

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I presume it's because the backups still contain apps that you have since deleted off the device. It's perfect sense really. If you delete from your device you hardly want to keep a copy of that app in your iCloud backup!

But if it backs up every day why does it matter? The new back up overrides the one from the day before.

Sent from my Gold iPad Air using Tapatalk

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You would think but it doesn't. Looks like it's an incremental as my daily backup contains apps I deleted weeks ago!

arnoctn

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Thank you. So for you Darran it's not a bug but just the normal way how iCloud backup works ?

phreddyl yes everyday you have a new backup but iCloud never delete anything. So if you have deleting an app and make 1-2-3 or 20 backUp since deleting it, the old folders are ever on iCloud.

It's very annoying, because I've a problem with an app. I try to remove it from my iPhone. Turn off phone. delete my iCloud Backup and install back my app. When I open the app my settings are here ! I don't understand where the app can find my previous settings.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes this is how iCloud backups work in afraid.

The only option is to delete the iCloud backup(s) and this will start fresh. I tend to do this if I delete a big app I no longer want to use. Makes sense for space saving.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
You can go to iCloud in settings and delete a specific app. Settings >iCloud >Storage >Manage Storage > iPhone >Scroll down and tap "Show All apps". Toggle off any to delete.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
You can go to iCloud in settings and delete a specific app. Settings >iCloud >Storage >Manage Storage > iPhone >Scroll down and tap "Show All apps". Toggle off any to delete.

Yes this is the screen we are talking about. Sadly toggling it off doesn't delete it from the iCloud backup it just prevents it from being backed up going forward. The list of iCloud apps aren't the apps from the most recent backup they're all apps contain throughout ALL your iCloud backups. Deleting an app doesn't then retrospectively delete it from previous backups so therefore when you delete and app it still shows as present in your backup apps list.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes this is the screen we are talking about. Sadly toggling it off doesn't delete it from the iCloud backup it just prevents it from being backed up going forward. The list of iCloud apps aren't the apps from the most recent backup they're all apps contain throughout ALL your iCloud backups. Deleting an app doesn't then retrospectively delete it from previous backups so therefore when you delete and app it still shows as present in your backup apps list.

Got you! It's all in here.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4847

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Got you! It's all in here.
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT4847

Ah cheers, they must have fixed this at some stage because if you turned it off previously it never promoted you to turn off and delete data? It used to just turn off future backups for this app even though it no longer existed on that device. Glad it's sorted now and that just toggling it off removes it!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77