Random Tri-Tone Alert Sound

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Since upgrading the iPhone 5S to iOS8, and more recently upgrading to the iPhone6, I have a random Tri-Tone alert (or vibration on silent) that goes off throughout the day. It could be a single alert at sporadic times, or occasionally it could be two a few seconds apart. But it would definately sound like an alert for an incoming message, mail, reminder, appointment, etc.

But........

I don't have any of those common alerts set to a Tr-Tone sound. In fact, I don't (knowingly) use that sound at all.

Since it didn't happen prior to upgrading to iOS8, I figured it must have something to do with the new apps that came with the upgrade. Nothing in settings for any of them shows that alert.

To diagnose, I started turning notifications off for each app one by one in order to identify the offending app. It still went off. Even without any apps listed in notifications.

I'm scratching my head. And hoping someone out there in the iMore-sphere might have a suggestion on where else to look.

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi there. So you have all sounds turned off for Notifications under Settings?

If so, it has to be something integral to a third party app. I know you said that you don't have any common alerts set to TriTone but do you have any set to that tone at all?

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
I have not set any alerts to that tone: I don't care for the tone at all, so something is defaulting to it.

Yes, I have turned all sounds off in notifications. And removed all apps. Thought I'd add them back in one at a time to cathe the culprit.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I have not set any alerts to that tone: I don't care for the tone at all, so something is defaulting to it.

Yes, I have turned all sounds off in notifications. And removed all apps. Thought I'd add them back in one at a time to cathe the culprit.

There’s another thread around here somewhere where the poster was talking about a similar occurrence. Check ALL of the apps in the Settings > Notifications, even those listed as DO NOT INCLUDE. The gist of that thread was that just because it’s NOT on the notification screen, it’s still possible to have an alert set.

Don’t know if that is the issue you are having, or if it will help at all, but it’s worth checking out.

Also, make sure the sound is actually coming from your device. In our office we have a T-style desk. My wife's iMac and my rMBP sit back-to-back. I was hearing "random alerts" for which I could not find the source. It was making me crazy and finally I checked her iMac. She keeps the volume all the way down unless she is doing something that requires audio. Long story short, she had left the volume up and the alerts were coming from her iMac.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
There’s another thread around here somewhere where the poster was talking about a similar occurrence. Check ALL of the apps in the Settings > Notifications, even those listed as DO NOT INCLUDE. The gist of that thread was that just because it’s NOT on the notification screen, it’s still possible to have an alert set.

Don’t know if that is the issue you are having, or if it will help at all, but it’s worth checking out.

Also, make sure the sound is actually coming from your device. In our office we have a T-style desk. My wife's iMac and my rMBP sit back-to-back. I was hearing "random alerts" for which I could not find the source. It was making me crazy and finally I checked her iMac. She keeps the volume all the way down unless she is doing something that requires audio. Long story short, she had left the volume up and the alerts were coming from her iMac.

I'm the only one in my office, so I'm sure it's mine.

I have confirmed all notifications in the "Do not include" section are off.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Instagram usually does this for me. It's not until you go into the app and check the news/following tab you see some type of notification. No matter what I don't get a badge alert or visual notification just the default tri tone

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's a whole thread on this topic. I get those tri-tone alerts several times a day. I have checked everything. Many others get it. I've been meaning to ask an Apple tech about it. It's annoying. It seems to have started with iOS 7. It's been a while. Not real sure when it did start. Way earlier than iOS 8 though.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem. I can't pin point what app is making it.
I followed the suggestion of toggling off the "not included" apps in Notifications. I had turned off everything for them which sent them to the "not included" list. But lo and behold there was a master Toggle at the top of each app. They were on. All settings beneath were off. I toggled them all off, and haven't heard that tri-tone alert since. So, don't know. It's been a few hours. If I don't hear that blasted tone all tomorrow, I may just sing Rocky Top! On second thought, nah!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem. I can't pin point what app is making it.
I got the ghost tone once yesterday. I went back and found an app in notifications that had only "sound" enabled as an Alert. One of those you can't change the tone. I had previously turned all notifications off for that app. I think turning all "sound" alerts off for apps you can't change the alert sound and turning off those in "not used" took care of it. [crosses fingers]

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
So I have signed out of Facebook, LinkedIn, & Twitter, which are the only social apps I an logged onto regularly. Still getting the Tri Tone sound. Under "Do not include" apps in notifications, all have "allow notifications" turned off .

I have to be missing something. Or there's an actual bug,

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
So I have signed out of Facebook, LinkedIn, & Twitter, which are the only social apps I an logged onto regularly. Still getting the Tri Tone sound. Under "Do not include" apps in notifications, all have "allow notifications" turned off .

I have to be missing something. Or there's an actual bug,
Try checking apps that have a "sound" option that you can not change. I found one a few days ago, and turned it off. No tri-tone since. Here's what happens. You turn an app off for sound. Then the app updates and the sound is on again. Maybe. I know I had turned that one off. It's the ones that have their own tone you can not change. It's just a toggle for sound.

Darran

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
Seriously I've had this for a year or so now. It's actually poorly designed apps rather than a bug in the iOS. I often hear the sound and there's no notification or badge then a day or so later I notice an Instagram friend request! Go through your common apps and look in their notifications or messages sections I bet you find an alert! I've got loads of apps that are set to use a badge to show alerts and never have. I even go into the app and only then does it show me a friend request etc and usually from a couple of days prior which then ties in with when I got the alert sound! I don't use much social networking so it can only be this!

JGamble17

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I have been getting the same tri-tone alert since updating to iOS8 - never happened before.

I don't want to turn ALL sounds off because of 1 bug. I'm not opposed to sound, just opposed to random sounds without purpose.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been getting the same tri-tone alert since updating to iOS8 - never happened before.

I don't want to turn ALL sounds off because of 1 bug. I'm not opposed to sound, just opposed to random sounds without purpose.
Check all your apps in notifications. It is one you can't change the sound alert for. Make sure the sound toggle is turned off for those you don't want. My culprit was an app where everything was turned off except the sound. So I was hearing the tri-tone, but no other alert showed. Also check the "Do Not Include" section. Make sure "Allow Notifications" is turned off for each. An update can cause a sound toggle to turn back on.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2