iOS Malware

Acidrop

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Being new to jailbreaking, I would like to know what the chances are of installing malware with apps through Cydia.

I know anything is possible, but do these actually exist? For instance, if you were to install an app from an unverified source, could you end up with malware running in the background collecting personal data etc, or does this not exist on the iOS platform?

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
There's always a possibility when you install non Apple approved software on your iDevice

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

Acidrop

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There's always a possibility when you install non Apple approved software on your iDevice

Sent from my iPhone 5s Gold 64GB

I know there's a possibility, but what I need to know is what is the likelihood.

Does it ever happen and if so, what measures can be taken to avoid it.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To make the chances as small as possible - don't jailbreak... yes, malware can get into the Apple AppStore... but it's rare.

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
There's been one known event happening in the history of jailbreaking.

Stick with better known tweaks and your chances are rather small.

The others posting in here don't jailbreak. Their jailbreaking advice is biased as such. If you want to jailbreak, go for it. If you're nervous, perhaps it' not your best option. Spend a little time. Research the tweaks you' be interested in. Make your own decision.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure the tweaks are well-known and you will be set. The repos that are on Cydia by default are the most reliable. :)

Acidrop

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Cheers.

I am indeed new to jailbreaking so wanted some facts. I jailbroke my iPhone 5 the day the iOS 7 jailbreak came out and I must say I'm loving it. A bit challenging with the mobilesubstrate issue, but got that sorted in the end.

I'm just a little uneasy when I install apps from Cydia not knowing exactly what's going on my phone, but from what I've seen so far, there aren't much to worry about... hopefully.

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I know there's a possibility, but what I need to know is what is the likelihood.

I don't think anyone can provide an exact % but use common sense. There's a risk associated with jail breaking. You just have to measure that risk by doing research.

Sent from my Retina iPad mini using iMore Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2