tethering/hotspot

turdsamich

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
So Im new to the iPhone, just got it back in October and now that we finally have a jailbreak fro the iphone 5 I need to know what the best option is for free hotspot/tethering?

natasftw

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
So Im new to the iPhone, just got it back in October and now that we finally have a jailbreak fro the iphone 5 I need to know what the best option is for free hotspot/tethering?

The apps will all likely come with a price. Mywi and pdanet are the two most popular.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I found that PDANet does not work with iPhone 5 or any iPhone on iOS 6.

It seems that there are now only two options for JB tethering, MyWi or TetherMe. My question is, can AT&T detect the use of either one?

I think that they started catching MyWi users some time ago, but I don't know if that was fixed, and their web site suggests that it wasn't.

TetherMe apparently claims to be undetectable, but I don't know how true that is.

I don't need to use it very much, I would just like it as a backup in case my Internet does down, like it did a couple of weeks ago, or if I'm in the doctor's waiting room or something, so I can use the big iPad screen instead of my little iPhone.

anon(596177)

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy Nexus and with that I used a custom ROM that Did pretty much what TetherMe does to the iPhone, allows you to use the built in tethering instead of adding a separate app for that functionality. I Was never caught.

I would assume the situation is much the same for the iPhone. As long as your data usage doesnt increase significantly (like going from using 1.5gigs a month to like 7 gigs) I dont think you have to worry about the carrier finding out (or caring). Besides, if you arent on an unlimited plan the carrier is still charging you for any data you use that exceeds your limit as tethering still dips into your monthly allowance.

My whole reason for jailbreaking the ip5 was to get my tethering capability back. I was missing the ability to tether my iPad while I was away from home SO bad, and wasnt about to drop my unlimited data to edit my plan for tethering. I chose TetherMe, and it works just fine.

MyWi is expensive as compared to tetherme $20 (25 if you include on-demand) compared to 5. But MyWi also apparantly has a LOT more features worth looking into if you intend on using your hotspot frequently.

bielefeld

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a Galaxy Nexus and with that I used a custom ROM that Did pretty much what TetherMe does to the iPhone, allows you to use the built in tethering instead of adding a separate app for that functionality. I Was never caught.

I would assume the situation is much the same for the iPhone. As long as your data usage doesnt increase significantly (like going from using 1.5gigs a month to like 7 gigs) I dont think you have to worry about the carrier finding out (or caring). Besides, if you arent on an unlimited plan the carrier is still charging you for any data you use that exceeds your limit as tethering still dips into your monthly allowance.

My whole reason for jailbreaking the ip5 was to get my tethering capability back. I was missing the ability to tether my iPad while I was away from home SO bad, and wasnt about to drop my unlimited data to edit my plan for tethering. I chose TetherMe, and it works just fine.

MyWi is expensive as compared to tetherme $20 (25 if you include on-demand) compared to 5. But MyWi also apparantly has a LOT more features worth looking into if you intend on using your hotspot frequently.

I was in the same boat as you. I jailbroke my 4S on iOS 5 and loved being able to tether to my iPad. I bought TetherMe, I think it was like $4 at the time (no idea what it is now). But after the update to iOS 6 that was the only thing I really missed about jailbreaking. Honestly it is the main reason I jailbroke again.

If you don't need all the fancy add-ons that come with MyWi than I say go with TetherMe. It just activates the built-in tether app and works perfectly on iOS 6. AND I have never had any issues with Verizon finding out.

ebarne

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Using tetherme for the first time on Sprint (LTE) I have been unable to confirm for certain anywhere that the carrier doesn't catch on. Can anyone confirm? Also does it make a difference if its set to automatic or usedataapn? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2