Setting up as new on 6.0 beta 1

ElwinAdam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
After you set up as new how do you get back the data you lost before the restore.. I mean i backed it up but now how do i get the all the data for my contacts and the data for my games back?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
"technically" restoring as new would consist of No backup

but if you need to use a backup use iCloud

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I noticed more issues with battery when I restored via iCloud or iTunes vs starting new ..

Contacts come back via iCloud as well as photos if you use photo stream

App data is gone unless your restore your back up and see what happens

ElwinAdam

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
To start as new....that's the point...duh. New doesn't mean make it like before.

oh wow thanks a lot i didn't know that...just kidding...

Why does a person restore as new for a simple beta losing everything?
can you retain the new but have your contacts..and app data?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
We restore so we can properly test the software and report bugs so by the time public people get it they are fixed ..

If your worried just restore but you might have extra issues vs not doing so .. If app data is really important then I recommend staying clear of beta

Guacho

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
After you set up as new how do you get back the data you lost before the restore.. I mean i backed it up but now how do i get the all the data for my contacts and the data for my games back?

It is recommended to restore as new but you dont HAVE to do it, I'm running ios 6 and later recovered from a back up and things are running really well so far.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
We restore so we can properly test the software and report bugs so by the time public people get it they are fixed ..

If your worried just restore but you might have extra issues vs not doing so .. If app data is really important then I recommend staying clear of beta

I can understand wanting a stable beta for yourself but isn't testing iOS 6 and reporting bugs from a restored state more valuable to Apple or yourself as a dev? I'd say the majority will restore, not set up as new.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I just upgrade and don't restore. I also go into each app I care to get my saved game info and get those files off and put them back in when done.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Whenever a new version is released, i usually restore as new. Reason is, code has changed, I'd rather have the new/optimized code rather than restoring things that could possibly break or cause issues. Things seem to run better when when setting up from new. Especially battery life.

And yes, there should be some testing regarding restores, however, I'm not in that boat.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I can understand wanting a stable beta for yourself but isn't testing iOS 6 and reporting bugs from a restored state more valuable to Apple or yourself as a dev? I'd say the majority will restore, not set up as new.

Not if apps are not updated to support ios6 and if there is a issue to report I want to make sure it's a bug with the iOS vs the app with my data or just my data causing the issue restoring data with apps just causes another variable to consider when you have a issue

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
If I'm going from 5.1.1 to a new beta, I'm restoring as new. Which I did.

If I'm going from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1, I'll just restore my backup.

Some people just like to start fresh no matter what. Which is fine. But don't restore a backup from iOS 5
if you're going to ios 6 beta.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2