How's semi-tethered redsn0w working for everyone?

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey BLiNK, did you do the Mobile Substrate upgrade (I assume it's bundled in with SemiTether?) Just curious if the new MS is having any effect on other jb apps that use Mobile Substrate.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i too was concerned about the same situation and i guess there might be a possibility it can affect some setups differently. however, it seems to me after 4 updates (i think) they have worked out a lot of bugs. keep in mind it is still in beta too

i did run into one little issue last night but i am not too sure if it was semi-tethered related, MS or Core Utilities related. right after i installed the semi-tethered i installed Autocorrection Bar. tried it out and decided it was not a necessity, so i removed it. well it did not go completely away. the package was removed from Cydia but it remained anywhere that required the keyboard being used. i have my settings configured as Developer so i can see all packages being downloaded, and take screen shots, in anticipation of issues just like this. unfortunately there was only one package and it was called Autocorrection Bar. needless to say my OCD would not allow this so i restored as new and re-setup everything, including the semi-tethered

so with my current setup it does not appear there are any conflicts with the newer Mobile Substrate or Core Utilities but there's no guarantee that it would be the same with another jailbreak setup. although, it seems they have worked out a lot of bugs since the initial release

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Just to be clear, you have to jailbreak it tethered then download the semi-tethered package for it? where would you get the package from?

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
add the following repo:

Code:
http://thebigboss.org/semitether

Note: after install, you will have to reboot your device, so make sure you are prepared at a computer to reboot tethered with redsn0w or just ?home button out? of cydia and manually respring until you get home.

To test the success of this, simply reboot your device. If it boots up, it worked. Make sure you are near your computer so you can tether boot it after to get your jailbreak functionality back.

read this before you install:

semitethered jailbreak | iPhone News, Apps, BigBoss, Guides & Jailbreaking

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
BLiNK you reinstalled just for the AutoCorrect bar that kept showing up? wow I thought my OCD was bad but sometimes my lazyness overrules it when it comes to the phone LOL

atsn714

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I semi-tethered my 3GS with an old boot rom last night. I only installed SBsetting and MyWi.. Everything went smoothly with the install itself. I am able to reboot after shut down. However, my SBsettings, MyWi, activator and semi-tether icons are all white. The cydia icon is normal. I confirmed that the apps are all functional despite their appearance.
I only needed MyWi so I can share my data with my iPad, since Rogers would not let me create a hotspot with my data plan.

Spiral_ouT

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I semi-tethered my 3GS with an old boot rom last night. I only installed SBsetting and MyWi.. Everything went smoothly with the install itself. I am able to reboot after shut down. However, my SBsettings, MyWi, activator and semi-tether icons are all white. The cydia icon is normal. I confirmed that the apps are all functional despite their appearance.
I only needed MyWi so I can share my data with my iPad, since Rogers would not let me create a hotspot with my data plan.

I had the same issue with icons being white. For me, it was only the semi-tether icon. After a few tethered reboots, the icon changed from white to what it should be. Not sure why?

atsn714

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I turned my 3GS off to test out the semi-tether JB. And to my surprise, 3GS is fully untethered JB. All the apps work after an untethered reboot, including Cydia and MyWi. Then I read on Cydiahelp that apparently 3GS on old boot rom is the only hardware that can be JB untethered with redsn0w.:D

mgregg99

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
i did run into one little issue last night but i am not too sure if it was semi-tethered related, MS or Core Utilities related. right after i installed the semi-tethered i installed Autocorrection Bar. tried it out and decided it was not a necessity, so i removed it. well it did not go completely away. the package was removed from Cydia but it remained anywhere that required the keyboard being used. i have my settings configured as Developer so i can see all packages being downloaded, and take screen shots, in anticipation of issues just like this. unfortunately there was only one package and it was called Autocorrection Bar. needless to say my OCD would not allow this so i restored as new and re-setup everything, including the semi-tethered

Just in case someone else runs into this I found a solution. I, too, installed the Autocorrection Bar and then removed it only to find that it was still showing up even after reboots. The trick is to disable it in Settings before removing it in Cydia. If you leave it enabled it will still show up after being removed.

Mike

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Just in case someone else runs into this I found a solution. I, too, installed the Autocorrection Bar and then removed it only to find that it was still showing up even after reboots. The trick is to disable it in Settings before removing it in Cydia. If you leave it enabled it will still show up after being removed.

Mike

damn nice tip! i wish i would have known this the other night haha

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2