Is there a way to delete multiple text messages at once?

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My husband works in IT, and this week they are doing upgrades and server changes. He has his iPhone4 (with iOS5) set up to get texts when failures happen so he can see the log overnight. The problem is that it sends each as an individual text, even though it comes from the same number. So instead of one long ass text from like one person, it's 200+ individual texts. Last night I spent 10 minutes just going one by one for him before he hurled it across the house, but is there a way to just delete all? I dont' care if mine are gone at the end of the list. He also doesn't care if the ones from his friends go byebye either.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes go out to the text listing where it shows everyone you have a text from.. and slide your thumb across the thred to the right and hit delete

leharris22

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you go into Messages, you'll see a list of all your messages. If you click 'Edit', you can select the red button that will appear next to the messages and that will delete the message thread.

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Yes, if you go into Messages, you'll see a list of all your messages. If you click 'Edit', you can select the red button that will appear next to the messages and that will delete the message thread.

I was just going to suggest this! This is how to mass delete messages (email and text).

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes go out to the text listing where it shows everyone you have a text from.. and slide your thumb across the thred to the right and hit delete

Exactly, think of it as deleting the "conversation". :)

I was just going to suggest this! This is how to mass delete messages (email and text).

Its not a conversation. It's one message per ping, so 250 INDIVIDUAL one-message bubble texts as if a different number sent each one, that have to be erased one by one. And doing the edit and red dot thing, only deletes one at a time just like swiping each one does. I want to wipe out his entire messaging list.

And it does sound like i will be waiting several more OS's because it doesn't sound as though there is an option.

Last edited:

_heatherly

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
So is this a ping message then? I don't use pings. But when you're in the conversation you can do the same thing as described before by tapping Edit and selecting each message you want to delete.

Sorry if this isn't what you mean, I guess I don't understand what kind of messages you have that you're trying to delete.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
So is this a ping message then? I don't use pings. But when you're in the conversation you can do the same thing as described before by tapping Edit and selecting each message you want to delete.

Sorry if this isn't what you mean, I guess I don't understand what kind of messages you have that you're trying to delete.

No. Not a ping. I used ping since it appears no one understands what I am asking.

In Messaging.

Text Messages.

His server sends him about 200 messages a night.

Individual texts, as if to come from a separate phone number every time.

So instead of it being a typical text conversation between him and another person, it's 200 individual texts.

I want to wipe them all out at one time.

There does not appear to be a way to do that.

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
No. Not a ping. I used ping since it appears no one understands what I am asking.

In Messaging.

Text Messages.

So instead of it being a typical text conversation between him and another person, it's 200 individual texts.

If there coming from separate numbers there's not a way to do it can you have the servers send emails instead of text messages? And why can't the servers send the text message from the same number it seems like something is configured incorrectly I'm a network guy and I get text messages from my servers and they come from the same number every time

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site

In Messaging.

Text Messages.

Holy crap that is horrible. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to mass delete in this way :(

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

In Messaging.

Text Messages.

I work in IT and with servers and notifications like your husband. There is no way for the iPhone to just "delete all" that I'm aware of, so let's try to set it up so that all of those texts end up in one "conversation."

I have server notifications set up to send from the same email address, and I have that email address saved to my "Employer" contact in my iPhone Address book. I also don't have my servers send a text message, I have them email my text message phone number (ie, xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com). The messages from a bunch of different servers all end up in one big conversation, instead of individual texts.

I agree that it's silly that there's no "delete all" but hopefully this will be a work around for you and tidy up everything for your husband.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Its not a conversation. It's one message per ping, so 250 INDIVIDUAL one-message bubble texts as if a different number sent each one, that have to be erased one by one. And doing the edit and red dot thing, only deletes one at a time just like swiping each one does. I want to wipe out his entire messaging list.

And it does sound like i will be waiting several more OS's because it doesn't sound as though there is an option.

Go to the view when you are looking at all the SMS conversation threads; swipe to the right on someone's name and you can delete the entire thread and all messages at once. You must do it per person but it's faster than going one by one within in each thread. The only problem with this is you must create a new message now every time you want to text someone.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If there coming from separate numbers there's not a way to do it can you have the servers send emails instead of text messages? And why can't the servers send the text message from the same number it seems like something is configured incorrectly I'm a network guy and I get text messages from my servers and they come from the same number every time

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

Holy crap that is horrible. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to mass delete in this way :(

I work in IT and with servers and notifications like your husband. There is no way for the iPhone to just "delete all" that I'm aware of, so let's try to set it up so that all of those texts end up in one "conversation."

I have server notifications set up to send from the same email address, and I have that email address saved to my "Employer" contact in my iPhone Address book. I also don't have my servers send a text message, I have them email my text message phone number (ie, xxxxxxxxxx@vzwpix.com). The messages from a bunch of different servers all end up in one big conversation, instead of individual texts.

I agree that it's silly that there's no "delete all" but hopefully this will be a work around for you and tidy up everything for your husband.

I asked him about this this morning, apparently someone else set this texting system up, because he wanted each instance as a separate text and not a conversation because it was easier to keep track of individual than conversation. *head desk* So since this guy is higher ranking, there's no way to fix it. But it's the same "number" that texts him, and all come as separate things. I had him try to set it up as above and it seems to override and still send as a separate thing.

So...we quit. He said if he can reconfig sometihng so that the other guy gets how he wants it and my husband can get as one conversation great. But I guess Ill be deleting 200 a night! lol

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I asked him about this this morning, apparently someone else set this texting system up, because he wanted each instance as a separate text and not a conversation because it was easier to keep track of individual than conversation. *head desk* So since this guy is higher ranking, there's no way to fix it. But it's the same "number" that texts him, and all come as separate things. I had him try to set it up as above and it seems to override and still send as a separate thing.

So...we quit. He said if he can reconfig sometihng so that the other guy gets how he wants it and my husband can get as one conversation great. But I guess Ill be deleting 200 a night! lol

I am sorry to hear that it has to be this way haha.... and sorry we couldn't help you further!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I just was hoping there was some override. I told him that I'd do the deletions for him if he wants. That way he doesn't lose his mind. lol

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxgyllsdoll