Update Still Won't Work :(

richchestmat#IM

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've tried about 43 times and am getting the 3002/3200 depending on the Update or Restore using Shift. So if the Apple auth servers are overloaded then why does the process try a few times before timing out instead of just one attempt? And if they can't cope with this then how can they deliver iCloud?

deadringer28

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Nah now my iPhone 4 isnt updating at all. I seriously wonder if it is a problem with the new iTunes I will be very happy when I no longer have to use that junk.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I finally got past the back up but then got an error when it said it was trying to restore the iPhone and it failed. Can I skip the backup part completely? If I do a sync it backs up like normal in about 5 seconds, will I be able to use that back up?

cchs227

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Try holding the power button and home button for a total of 10 seconds. Your phone should be back to normal. :) If not, report back.
I won't mind helping!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So got a bit further this time, verifying restore with Apple and the logo has appeared on my iPhone screen.

Now restoring and the bar is moving on the iPhone screen, yay!

Side note, downloading the actual OS only took about 10 minutes; much faster than I was thinking.

applefanboi

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad I decided to install mine while everyone was at work! I got the error 3200 once, but redownloaded iOS 5 and started to update and it worked... then died in the middle of it... tried it one last time and no problems at all, by 2:35 CST I had iOS 5 running on my phone. ( I started around 12:30) A TV took like 5 times of re-updating before it worked, won't know about the iPad 2 yet... left it sitting downloading at home...

akendall79

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I dont normally write on forums such as these, and appreciate it probably is the luck of the draw, but am getting seriously hacked off that i am now on attempt 47 to reboot my phone, with no joy!! I have been as far as up to rebooting firmware, which according to the status bar on the phone is about 90%, on three occassions, but thats it!!

I wouldnt even mind being able to revert back to 4.3.5 at the moment, as i use my iphone for work, and so now face the option of staying up very late (as its now nearly 11pm in the UK) and continuing to try it, or attempting to manage at work tomorrow without it, which is not a good prospect!!

My concern is if the apple servers cant handle this, i shudder to think what will happen when icloud goes online for storing everyones music???

God damn you Apple, why do i have such a love hate relationship with you at times!!

iaddict_

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
There are a few reasons why people may be experiencing problems:
1. If you've edited your host files. This will only apply to those who have saved their SSH blobs on Cydia.
2. Try using another USB port and/or cable.
3. Apple's servers are being hit hard. There isn't much anyone can do.

My suggestion is try using a different cable/port on your computer. If you still experience issues just wait and periodically update or restore your phone.

I know, it sucks, as we have been waiting for iOS 5 for a long time and now that it's finally out we have these errors to deal with.

***EDIT***
Another thing you may want to do is put your phone in DFU mode. That way it won't back up your date everytime you try to update to iOS 5; which will save some time. Just make sure that you do a backup of your phone manually (find your iPhone or whatever device you want to back up on the left hand side and do a manual backup.)

And these error messages have nothing to do with your firewall, anti-virus, or spyware programs. Unless you have disabled the ports that iTunes need access to.

Last edited:

joeblow123321

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Finally going through FTW!

I thought it was awful when the updates 4 years ago kept crashing the servers, but this was worse because we CAN download the software, we just couldn't get it to work because the last step, the verification, wouldn't work.

Dumb.

scruiD

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
So honeys, have it rolling on IPhone 4 and hope the next few items collected are helpful:

You made the update and now the the progress stucks between an apple logo and a circle?
*** Keep pressing Power and Home together for around... a while... the apple logo will disappear and it looks like another reboot but comes up with connect to Itunes where it is found in recovery mode.

You have that error 3200 continuesly?
*** Well, that have millions but is getting less and therefore the chances to get through raises, short, apple cannot be contacted while update progress. make a dosbox (run, cmd <enter>) and type ping gs.apple.com and you see ping response times with 150 and more, even had 200 plus... remember how "good" a ping of 200 is while playing online, so you see they are busy.

You have Error 3194?
*** Check you hosts file (like here C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, hosts, edit with notepad.exe) and check for gs.apple.com, if you have a valid finding set a # to the beginning of the line to make this inactive or remove it when you do not need (its a redirect for cydia, so when you wanr to jailbreak again and the redirected will stay the same keep it inactive, otherwise remove)

You are sick of backup progress before the update that fails anyway?
*** Enter the I4 to DFU Mode so it is found to need a recovery and it skips the backup, but be sure you have made at least one to have your files available to restore back when finished on iOS5.

General:

DFU Mode:
Power Off, Press and keep press Power Button until the Apple Logo has appeared. then keep Power pressed and also press and keep pressed the home button, when the screen turns black count until 5 (seconds) and release the power button but keep home pressed, count until 10 (seconds) and release the home button also, disconnect and reconnect to computer and itunes detects a recovery device.
-> When you keep your phone connected to the computer you have a sound after each step, so it is easier to know when need to press or release a button)

Update File (.ipsw)
is located and downloaded to
XP: %userprofile%\application data\apple computer\itunes\iphone software updates
Vista, 7: %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\apple computer\itunes\iphone software updates
you can copy and paste this to the address bar of your explorer (not your internet explorer, your file explorer... just open "My Computer" or "computer" ;) )

That's all for the moment thats necessary I guess, if you have troubles keep posting.

Cheers

Reactions: EvilJack

drarif

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
im getting exactly the same but im in the uk and apple have shut over here for the day so i cant even ring them to get a fix

there is no reason to get it fixed for that. just enter your phone in DFU mode and then your device will show up on itunes,then restore it from there,it worked for me this way ,i was havin the exact same problem as well. google if u dont kno how to enter in dfu mode. best of luck :)

wreigle

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Update bricked my phone.....maybe

I attempted to do a restore to factory settings on my iPhone4 today. iTunes wiped my phone and then attempted to install and upgrade to iOS5. That's when I get the wonderful 3002 error.

My phone is now stuck in recovery mode and does not work at all.

I took the phone into the Genius Bar. They tried the same thing, connecting it to iTunes and doing a restore. Same error 3002. The "genius" then tells me that this means the iPhone is broken. My options are to pay $150 and trade in my iPhone4 for a replacement iPhone4 or wait and upgrade to an iPhone4S for $199.

I need a phone that works so I decided to hold on to my "broken" iPhone and buy a new one temporarily. $430 later I have a working iPhone4 with a 30 day return window. Hopefully they get this fixed and I can actually get my phone working again.

Don't trust the "geniuses"

cchs227

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Network congestion. I've heard of people attempting 8+ times to update with no avail. I can assure it'll work tomorrow, but I'm sure you wouldn't want to wait that long! Apple is telling people to wait until tomorrow, but I've also heard of reports of where just trying again later helps.

edessad

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I re-ask what other have already asked: is there any way to avoid the whole "backing up the software part?" It seems insane that we'd have to go through a 30 minute process each time only to be tripped up at the last second by this server thing; you'd think we could just keep clicking some kind of "refresh" button at this point.

Yes, on a Windows PC, hold the shift key when you click update. It will ask you where the file is, it is usually here on Windows 7:

C:users\YOUR USER NAME\appdata\roaming\apple computer\itunes\ipad software updates

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77