iMessenger thoughts

vthokies

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Anyone notice that when you type a regular text message, it no longer says "Text Message" in the text box? It just says "Message."

Last edited by a moderator:

Caballera

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
imessage relies on the person receiving a message to keep opening the messenger app to see if any new messages are received. i find this unacceptable

differences:

when an iphone receives a text message (sms) you get the following features:
notification via a # badged on the messenger icon indicating you got a message
the default tri-tone text alert
notification on the screen, either a banner, a badge, notification on the lock screen, notification in notification center.

when an iphone receives a free message sent to your apple id you get the following features
a small tick noise
no other sounds
no other alerts
no other badges at all
you literally have no clue you even got a message until you actually look in the messenger app

be warned and tell your friends do not send mission critical messages via imessage that need a quick response because the other person who got your message will probably have no idea you even sent one.

however when i tested an ipad 2 i saw signs of notifications. so i believe this is a carrier restriction

:eek:

That's not my experience at all. I get a notification when i get a "iMessage'.

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
That's not my experience at all. I get a notification when i get a "iMessage'.

I also get all notifications.

I've found it very useful, since the person I'm closest to lives in Canada and we were limited to email for several years.

I just wish the messages sent to my cell # also came to my iPad.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

Coffeegrower

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Is there any reason iMessage shouldn't work on a de-activated iPhone? I upgraded to the 4S, and gave my 3GS (running iOS 5) to a friend. Where I have on/off toggles on the settings screen for Message, his shows "waiting for activation". Any ideas?

jlb21

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i think this one will come in handy for ipad and ipod users more (like me) rather than iphone users who generally have unlimited messaging plan anyway

I don't have unlimited TXT. But at least I now know that the buttons/bubbles will change from green to blue if the number is an iOS5 device......

It isn't bbm for sure, but back when they did it in beta testing I knew that it was just going to be like texting in the application. It isn't anything special just tells you if they read the message. It is just texting.

Love the Whalers logo!!!!!!!

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
I hope people understand that iMessage is not designed to be a copy of BBM, for example. iMessage sits in the 'Messages' app for a reason, they are both divisions of the same thing. iMessages are essentially text messages but you can also send them to iPods/iPads etc. because of the Apple ID system.

If people want things like statuses and display pictures they should get Whatsapp or something similar because I doubt Apple will be adding this feature to iMessage any time soon, as that is not what the app is designed to do.

hollidizzle

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
I think what people really want is an exclusive iDevice to iDevice chat client. Much how Macs have iChat. Blackberrys have BBM. Hell Yahoo has yahoo messenger. Gmail has Gchat. The problem arises trying to get all of your friends on one accord. 2 of your friends have yahoo. 1 has Whatsapp. none have iChat. 3 Have LiveProfile. But they all have iphones. Not to say texting/iMessaging doesn't work, "chatting" is just often more fun and more engaging and it would be nice to have a dedicated chat client exclusive to all iDevices. With all that being said, I think that's what a lot of people envisioned iMessage to be...

noaim

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I think what people really want is an exclusive iDevice to iDevice chat client. Much how Macs have iChat. Blackberrys have BBM. Hell Yahoo has yahoo messenger. Gmail has Gchat. The problem arises trying to get all of your friends on one accord. 2 of your friends have yahoo. 1 has Whatsapp. none have iChat. 3 Have LiveProfile. But they all have iphones. Not to say texting/iMessaging doesn't work, "chatting" is just often more fun and more engaging and it would be nice to have a dedicated chat client exclusive to all iDevices. With all that being said, I think that's what a lot of people envisioned iMessage to be...

ichat uses aol instant messenger or gtalk...

Tillsworth

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I think once more people update to iOS5, iMessaging will become more widespread. It's only been out for just over a week, and the 4s has been available for less time, so obviously relatively few people will have it compared to the number of people that have iPhones. I believe it can become the 'iDevice to iDevice' chat medium people want.

Personally, iMessage does everything i'd want from a 'chat' app - read receipts, ability to see when the other person is typing. I don't see the point in status updates etc, never used them on my Blackberry.

ADGrant

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site

That;s pretty much what iMessage is.

jackson1714

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
So we just send a text to the person and if they have ios5 it's sent via imessage if not we pay out of our price plan? How would we know if they had ios5 or not?
before you type the text is says, imessage if the person has an iphone, if not it says text. the imessage bubbles are blue and the text are green. its really simple to use and i like it because you can send messages via wifi if your in a place where you get bad reception.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
Like some have mentioned, it'll work for those on iPad/iPod devices. One thing I found very awesome was that I was able to send an iMessage to a phone number from my iPad 2.

I also loved the fact that I sent someone some screenshots from my 4s and it showed up on my iPad. It was awesome.

Some may not have unlimited messaging plans (T-mo or Verizon). Heck, maybe the $20 is too much and don't even have the only data plan available on at&t (unlimited for $20 -- individual plans).

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2