Alternative Keyboards?

jstkdn

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so here's the situation:

I'm a current Android user who is seriously considering a switch to iPhone 4. HOWEVER, I currently have a choice in what virtual keyboard I use. I go back and forth between Swype and an HTC mod keyboard from XDA forums that allows me to use T9/phone keypad, which I'm very quick/fast/accurate with.

So, question: Are there any quality, functional, keyboard alternatives for iPhone 4/iOS?

As petty as a feature as this seems, I can see it being a major factor in my decision to come to iPhone 4.

Thanks for your help/input!

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen one yet that isn't buggy or breaks some of the iOS functions. Of course the phone has to be jailbroken if I'm correct. I'm still looking for a good one.

jstkdn

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
That's the impression I have, too. I don't necessarily mind jailbreaking, as I've rooted and unrooted so many times I've lost count, though root access isn't required to put a new keyboard on Android.

I've still got some time to decide, so here's hoping that someone does know of a way and can give both of us some insight!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
If it's that much of a deal breaker then don't switch. There's a case that has a slider keyboard that connects via BT. I don't think you will find any acceptible alternatives. I can tell you that if you're open to it the onscreen keyboard is easy to get accustomed to and love. It's definately a subjective thing though.

Reactions: jstkdn

jstkdn

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
First of all, THANK YOU for being blunt. I appreciate it.

I know about the case with a slide out keyboard, and I'm not into that, on screen is the way for me. My only concern was that the T9 made/makes it uber simple to text one handed. It's not a "deal breaker" but it's definitely on my "wish list."

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lol I figured it might sound rude. Do a search for my username I'm not trying to be rude. I was just saying you really sound like the keyboard is a deal breaker. I know some people are passionate about keyboards. So I was just saying if it's a deal breaker don't switch. This is my honest opinion because it's not like Android doesn't have the things the iPhone has that's why I said it's subjective.

munchkinsdad

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I really dislike the landscape keyboard. keys are spread out way too far! But I type one handed all the time in portrait mode. It's pretty easy, and I can type faster on it than my BB.

jstkdn

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Bit the bullet and ordered my iPhone today. It will be here tomorrow by 10:30AM. Glad to finally join the family after 4 years.

jstkdn

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I see my rudeness didn't deter you ;) Have fun and let us know what you think of it and the keyboard.

Not at all. I don't come to forums to be babied. I come to get input from the community, regardless of how they put it. I actually like that you didn't coddle me. The "deal with it" actually went a long way.

Thanks again!

Ipheuria

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
lol I really didn't mean it that way but I am glad you still got the iPhone. I'm always interested to hear what people from another platform thinks. I tried FroYo for a month myself.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77