Keep jailbroken phone from updating?

Moose-Alini

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
I've been searching on the net for a few weeks now and havn't found anything helpful so I'm hoping someone will have some idea. I have a jailbroken iphone that a friends kid owns that I need to keep from accepting system updates. I set his itunes to not update the phone when he plugs in, but he keeps going to friends houses and gets updates pushed. I've had to re-jailbreak this phone three times now.

I can't find any apps that keep the phone from updating, so my current thought was to ssh into it and change the permissions on wherever it downloads or installs the system updates to 000. Firstly I dont know the folders that update uses, or if killing permissions on these folders would keep the phone from syncing or running apps.

If anyone has ideas on this or another way to keep the phone from accepting updates please enlighten me!

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
If anything, he's doing a restoration which is blowing out the jailbreak, and I don't think there's anything you can do to prevent a restore.

iTunes will not blindly push updates to the phone, but ask you if you want to update the phone first. Just make sure your friends kid understands that he cannot accept updates, or the jailbreak will have to be reapplied and if it is done right after a new OS release, there may not be any jailbreak available for who knows how long.

Moose-Alini

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
My impression was that if you plug an iphone and sync it while there are updates available, it will install the software update without prompting. Is this the case? Can it be downloading apps from the store, or an app already on the phone that is killing the jailbreak?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
No, you specifically have to accept the update. It asks when you plug-in, not when you sync.

I'm not aware of any app that would break a jailbreak. Is this iPhone a new 3GS? When you have to re-jailbreak it, is it stuck at a screen that shows a usb cord and iTunes?

lgreenberg

Dec 2, 2008
www.active.com
No that is not the case.

If there's an update for the iPhone iTunes will prompt with a pop up menu giving 3 choices.

1. Download only
2. Download and install
3. Nothing

Moose-Alini

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
It is a 3gs yes but no usb cord and iTunes. mainly non-appstore apps stop working. The big reason we have this jailbroken is to run an app by mobile-spy that logs sms and calls so his parents can keep tabs on it. It could be the kid knows updates will break it. So really id like to keep the phone from updating even if he wanted to, or find an appstore app with he same functionality, which i didnt have luck with.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2