Three questions / IPSW, future upgrades and sync

gutcheck

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
For the knowledgeable members, please answer a few questions if you would? I have a 3GS with 3.0.1:

1) The IPSW download places a Zip'd file on my desktop. Is it correct to just change this to an IPSW extension? Extracting doesn't seem to be the solution. Changing the extension changed the icon, but want to verify before I initiate any JB process.

2) When a phone is JB'd, does this negate updating new software from Apple when it becomes available? For example, if 3.1 has new features I may want, how would one then go about upgrading a jailbroken phone in the future to take advantage of these new features? Just trying to connect the dots on how this all works, if someone could give me an overview.

3) When jailbroken, does the sync'ing process with iTunes still work exactly the same? No problems or known issues?

Appreciate any responses. I have been scouring to put this together, but these two issues are still unclear to me. Thanks in advance, Don

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
1. When you download a IPSW just leave it how it is.
2. You can still update jailbroken iPhones I would suggest to restore as new first.
3. Yes you still sync a jailbroken iPhone.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
The file you download is an .ipsw file. "ipsw" is the file extension. If you downloaded it as a .ZIP file, change the file extension so that redsn0w will recognize it as an IPSW file.

Download from here if you are having problems. Make sure you get the 3.0 file.

As far as when Apple does an update, that will unjailbreak your phone and you will have to do the jailbreak again as soon as it's available for the update.

gutcheck

Aug 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Alli. I'm curious as to why there exists a 3.0.1 version, but we aren't to use it? I don't doubt you, but just wondering why. I'd assume that confuses others as well. Thanks for your help.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Mostly because the dev team didn't need the 3.0.1 file. They had already done what was needed on the 3.0 file - no reason to re-invent the wheel for the 3.0.1 file if the the 3.0 file worked on a phone with 3.0.1 installed. (Does that make sense?)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2