Help - Cydia crashing!

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Firstly, this is my first post. Sorry, but I just couldn't locate the "Introductions forum". (?) I'm not new to forums, but just can't see a link for this one. Anyway... "Hi!"

Secondly, I'm running a 3G, jailbroken with Pwnage, using Redsn0w. I've had it jailbroken for about a week now, and have downloaded a handful of apps - some useful, some apparently not 3.0 compatible yet (wish they were more clear which work). I do have Winterboard installed, but not Icy, Mobile Terminal or SSH.

So this morning I tap the Cydia icon to see what updates have posted, the program starts to load, and after anywhere from 4 to 10 seconds it crashes and returns me to the home screen. (Cue the boy-with-the-stolen-puppy face)

Any ideas what could be causing this? My most recent installs were a five-column screen and a flaming background (which I turned off to no avail).

I did try a full power cycle, but got the same results.

Help me, Obi-Wan Jailbreaker-Guru... you're my only hope.

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... same thing is happening to me. I just finished the jailbreak, launched Cydia, and installed 1 app: SBSettings. Now every time I try and launch Cydia, it opens for a few seconds and then closes. Tried re-springing, restarting and re-jailbreaking.

Might try a full restore to see if it fixes the issue.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Hmm... same thing is happening to me. I just finished the jailbreak, launched Cydia, and installed 1 app: SBSettings. Now every time I try and launch Cydia, it opens for a few seconds and then closes. Tried re-springing, restarting and re-jailbreaking.

Might try a full restore to see if it fixes the issue.

Well, at least I'm not alone. Sorry to hear you're having the same trouble. For what it's worth, I've had Cydia working for about a week, then suddenly it started crashing, so I know it was working for me for a bit.

I guess I'll try re-jailbreaking... not sure if that means I'll lose anything I've installed post-break, but I guess it can't hurt to see.

Any other advice out there guys? :confused:

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, the one up side to jailbreaking with purplera1n is that you can just run freeze again to reinstall cydia.

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I've Restored my phone and they performed the Jailbreak again, and it appears to be working. I'm going to install everything I want from Cydia and end with SBSettings and see what happens then...

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I've Restored my phone and they performed the Jailbreak again, and it appears to be working. I'm going to install everything I want from Cydia and end with SBSettings and see what happens then...

Excellent! I tried a re-jailbreak with version 0.7.2 (used 0.7.1 originally) to no avail. Trying this new 8.0 I just found before going the whole restore route. Keep us informed, Jellmoo.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Well, that's a "no" on the 8.0 making any difference.

What will I lose when I use the Restore function?
Programs?
Contacts?
Settings within programs - both native progs and downloaded?

I guess the question is... what is the downside of Restoring?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
From my experience, if you restore, then you just restore the problems as well.

Do this...

1. Backup your contacts using either Outlook or Windows Address book (I'm assuming you're using Winblows).

2. Your programs will sync from iTunes so you won't lose them. Nothing to do here.

3. You're settings will be gone. You'll just have to set them again. No big deal really.

jellmoo

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
You'll lose any Jailbreak apps though. Those you will have to hunt down and install again.

I've re-installed most of what I want from Cydia, and just installed SBSettings, and everything still seems to be good. The restore seems to have fixed the problem.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Back-up (Sync) on iTunes
Restore
Jailbreak
Sync

Fixed the Cydia crashing problem. The only ill effect is that all apps (iPhone native, iTunes AND Jailbroken) I had inside folders (using Categories) have now disappeared. The non-jailbroken ones show on the PC in iTunes, but not on the springboard. I presume there's a disconnect somewhere in the location of the apps that's causing this. Can't even re-download them, as they say they are already installed.

Anybody know about this one?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I found the solution to this. Posting this in case someone is in the same situation and needs it.

Solution: Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable, Enter your passcode (make one up if using for the first time) then tap Disable.

All the "missing" applications showed for me with this simple step!

thuwun

Jul 6, 2009
twitter.com
I found the solution to this. Posting this in case someone is in the same situation and needs it.

Solution: Go to Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable, Enter your passcode (make one up if using for the first time) then tap Disable.

All the "missing" applications showed for me with this simple step!

Curious..... what JB are you using?

sandman1318

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Cydia is crashing on my iPhone too within six or seven seconds after opening. Just before this happened, I went into Cydia and ran updates for some applications including SB settings and Backgrounder. The next time I attempted to open Cydia is when it began crashing. I'm thinking that maybe I could uninstall those recent updates, (or the apps,) using Icy and see if Cydia works after that. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to do a full restore.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77