purplera1n doesn't work well with cydia

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Just wanted to give people a heads up that Cydia on the purplera1n jailbreak doesn't seem to work so well.

I noticed several errors while installing various apps using Cydia. No clue why, but it seemed to start right after performing an essential Cydia upgrade. In the end, my iPhone wouldn't even boot up.

After restoring and jailbreaking again, I installed Icy using Cydia, then installed everything using Icy. Things seem to be working good now.

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey Matt, I've done my best to help you in the past, now, I have a question for you -

I just bought a 3G right now. This is the first time I've ever typed on it.

I really want to jailbreak it.

Can you post a simple guide on how exactly did it? I mean, step-by-step as if I were a challenged child.

Basically, just re-create what you did, in as much detail as possible.

Would you be able to do that?

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The thing is, I recently jailbroke my old 3G with redsn0w, so I know THAT process, but not the new one for purplerain.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Sure, I can do that. But first I need to start off with this disclaimer: purplera1n is considered by geohot (George Hotz), to be in beta. After messing around with my JB 3GS, I consider purplera1n to be more along the lines of alpha.

Things are very glitchy... and when I say very, I mean very. Some apps seem to cause the springboard to crash and only work in safe mode until I remove them. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason for this either. So far today I have JB my 3GS 3 times. During one of the times, iRealSMS was working fine. This time, it crashes my springboard so that it only works in safe mode.

So right now, the only real JB apps I have installed are SBSettings, iBlacklist, Cydia and Icy. I need to leave for work in about 30 mins, so I don't want to mess around with more apps right now -- don't have time for another restore.

The purplera1n jailbreak is actually pathetically simple. You just download the app from http://purplera1n.com/ by clicking on the windows logo. I had iTunes running, then just launched the program and clicked the "make it ra1n" button...

The button will change to something like "setting to recovery mode". Kinda nice how this does it for you... no more pushing buttons. :) After a few seconds, you'll see geohots pic on your iphone. After a few more seconds, it'll say "all done, wait for your phone to reboot". At this point, I just closed out of the purplera1n app. Took maybe another 15 seconds for my phone to reboot.

When my phone booted back up, there was an icon on it (syncing movies back to my phone, so can't check). I think it was called something like "Freeze". When you launch that, you have one option, "Install Cydia". That button will download and install Cydia for you, so if you have wifi available, you might want to connect as it'll go faster.

Once Cydia is installed, I launched it and installed the RipDev repository. Once that repo is installed, you can install Icy.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Last edited:

LVCIFER

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Ok, it all seems pretty simple and straightforward. But you said that you restored 3 times already.

Is it complicated to restore? (i.e., I know how to restore normally, but did it get stuck at the boot menu, did it refuse to load at first, did you get stuck at any black or purple screens, did you brick your phone and have to do anything special, etc, etc.)

Basically, stuff like that. I would be pretty pissed if I got the 3G today and bricked the damned thing.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
On my first JB, Cydia told me to reboot after installing Winterboard... so I rebooted. Except it wouldn't boot anymore, it was just stuck on the Apple logo. I just popped my iPhone into DFU and did a regular restore.

On my second JB, I skipped over Cydia and just started installing everything via Icy. I thought it was just a Cydia glitch, so I didn't hold back. After a bit of installing, my springboard just kept crashing and would only run in safe mode.

On my third (and current) JB, everything is working, except I can't get iRealSMS to work and don't want to try installing anything else anymore.

I did not get stuck during the JB process, everything was straight forward and fast.

At this point, I'm confident that the purplera1n is bugged, and that the problems I'm having are not caused by Cydia, Icy or any other JB app I'm installing. So for now, I'm just installing the basic JB apps I can't live without (minus iRealSMS since I can't get it working).

Unless you are desperate for a 3GS JB, and are willing to mess with things and do a few restores, then I recommend that people wait for a Dev-Team release or for geohot to release a new version. IMHO, this is the "I just can't wait any longer" version.

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
If you only care about unlocking, than this is ok. Install cydia, add the repo and then install ultrasn0w. The phone should be unlocked and working fine

sbxmarc@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
somebody i need help asap.
My phone is stuck on the apple screen i try to reboot but nothing different happens just turns off i turn it on and same thing shows up

i just installed cydia through freeze from prurpleRa1n and instaled icy and i whent to the winterboard and installed a black and red keyboard thing installed it and it didnt want to work so i turned my phone off and turned it back on and thats when i started having this problem....

Pataky

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Why does cydia freeze when it's installing..?

Hey guys I'm just wondering if anyone has had the same problem as me and when I click on freeze then click on install cydia it either doesn't start or installs abit then stops, would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Kevin

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I used prurpleRa1n and installed cydia just long enough to install OpenSSH. Once that was done then I was able to change the SMS and Email alert tones that I wanted to and then I removed OpenSSH. No other reason for me to have anything anything else that I can see at this point but things may change later down the road.

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
I used prurpleRa1n and installed cydia just long enough to install OpenSSH. Once that was done then I was able to change the SMS and Email alert tones that I wanted to and then I removed OpenSSH. No other reason for me to have anything anything else that I can see at this point but things may change later down the road.

I installed OpenSSH but i dont see an icon. Should there be one? How did you change ur SMS and Email tones? Thanks

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
There isn't a icon for it. To change the tones, I started WiFi, found my IP address of my local LAN, opened sftp, typed in the IP address, user: root password: alpine

Then went to the /System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ and backed up everything that was in there to my local computer and copied over the new-mail.caf file I had created as well as the sms-recieved6.caf, (the sms one might be named wrong here since i did it at home last night and don't remember the name)

Then I rebooted and everything worked the way I wanted. The SMS sounds will always look the same but since I didn't like the last one listed on the phone, I used the last one that had 6 next to it. It worked out great for me.

changing iphone sounds - Google Search

That's a good starting point.

Dipstix6996

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I also started a new thread to make is easier for people to find that info. If you dont mind im going to quote you in that thread.

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't mind. I'm learning this as I go along anyhow. I've been using a Blackberry for so long that I can do anything to those in my sleep, now to do the same with the iPhone.

thuwun

Jul 6, 2009
twitter.com
What version of Ra1n are you all using? and what OS were you on when installing.... and have you upgraded to latest versions of JB..... and technically all JB's are betas, or what ever you wanna call them , unless you want to wait for everysingle detail, exploit, or vulnerability to be discovered (which may take weeks , months, etc) there are going to be changes that we would like to see. thus the reason for "updates"

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2