'Update apps' uses wrong email?

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I have jailbroken my itouch with the 3.0 firmware via redsn0w, and since then when i try to update my apps via the app store on the ipod, it has a different email and says the update is for skype, but i dont even have skype installed on my ipod touch. under the 'settings' menu i am logged into the itunes store under my regular username and everything is normal everywhere else besides the app update screen. i have tried resyncing with my name, but no difference. i googled it and only one or two others seem to have this problem, and they are all in other languages. anyone know what the problem is? thanks

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Scroll all the way down to the bottom of the app store, click on the "Account: blahblahblah@email.com" and select "sign out". Might need to sign out of iTunes as well.

Then just sign back in with the proper email address.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I tried that and still nothing. it shows my proper email in the app store and in itunes, but when i hit 'update' it gives me the address igis8_at_hotmail.it (sorry, the forms wont let me enter an email address until i post over 10 posts), and of course my password doesnt work with it. Thanks for the advice, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Just so I have this straight, skype is not installed on your iPod, is not listed under applications in iTunes on your pc or mac, and you are logged into the correct email address in the app store on your iPod, and in iTunes on your pc or mac?

Have you always owned this iPod, or did you just buy it?

Does it use the correct email address if you try to install a different free app from the app store on your iPod?

Last edited:

Matt74

Mar 6, 2009
Visit site
Well, if three people are having this same exact issue... then I'd have to say it's a bug with 3.0.

There's no denying Apple rushed out 3.0, just so they could rain on the Palm Pre Parade.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Matt74, you are correct with all those statements. It does use the correct email when i download an app from the app store. It even updates my other apps fine, but skype still stays in there and it displays a '1' on the app store icon.

I purchased the ipod touch brand new, and it worked fine in 2.2.1. I upgraded it to 3.0 then jailbroke it immediately, so i dont know if it was something in the 3.0 firmware or in the jailbreak. Im glad to see other people are having this issue, maybe apple will fix it in the next update. Its not too big of a deal, everything works fine. It would be nice to have it all working perfectly though!

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
It will do this if you download a app from someone else account. I used my friends iTunes account to get a app she paid for and now when I update it will ask me for her email. You can check this by click Get Info in iTunes>Applications and look to see if it shows you email.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
I checked in itunes>applications and did see skype, but it was the with beejive IM icon, and it was registered to igis8x @ hotmail.it . I have never met this person nor have i downloaded skype. i deleted skype from my itunes, but it still asks for the update on the itouch

maxpowerh

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
same issue

Mine also wants me to update AIM. The user it wants me to use is zulap at live.com. I think it could be an issues with hacked itunes apps. I might go as far to say it's a way to possibly steal your itunes password, but that is a stretch. If they were that good then it wouldn't show the wrong email address.