How do I delete a single text message without deleting the thread?

swarlos

Trusted Member
Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Hold down on the message you want to delete then select more after the popup appears and then you can select single messages you want to delete.
benyre3a.jpg

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
How do I delete a single text message without deleting all. ios 8

Long press on the message you want to delete. A bubble will come up on the left, checked. There will be a trash can on the bottom left. That will delete the individual message and leave the rest of the thread intact.

Charles Votaw

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
The answer from qbnkelt works great if the trash can appears, but I haven't figured out how to reliably get it to appear. If I play with it long enough I usually get it to happen, but there must be a better way.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The answer from qbnkelt works great if the trash can appears, but I haven't figured out how to reliably get it to appear. If I play with it long enough I usually get it to happen, but there must be a better way.

If it doesn't appear, try deleting the messages app from the background apps. Then try again. Sometimes I can get the trash can and forward arrow to show by pulling down hard on the keyboard. That's kind of tricky. That bar at the bottom won't move. If you use 3rd party keyboards, deleting them may help. This is a bug among several that Apple sees as not too important. But the messages bugs are on their list. Maybe this Spring when the Watch is released.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2