My experience running iOS8 on my iPad 2

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
If you have an iPad2 and have not yet updated to iOS8, DO NOT DO IT!

Updating my iPad 2 to iOS8 has all but ruined it. Responnse time to do practically anything has deteriorated significantly. To the point where it often appears that it actually failed to register the tab on screen, page scrolls will halt for full minutes at a time, whcih has lead to multiple instances of mis-directed taps or double-taps on screen resulting in the wrong item being tapped or selected, deleted, etc.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
My iPad 2 is running pretty good with 8.0.2.
Of course not as snappy as it was with iOS 6X but its all good. No major complaints. I restored as new when I updated to 8.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I feel as though these issues arise each time a new version of ios releases with older devices. Fortunately I'm seldomly more than a generation behind. But it seems as though things aren't optimized for older devices. They are released to appease those owners.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
My iPad 2 is running really nicely with 8.0.2. In fact I have to keep checking the os version to make sure it didn't revert to 6.1.3.

CrackOne

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It has significantly slowed down my iPad 2. I told my wife not to update her iPad 2, so she did not. However, she has been downloading new 8.02 optimized versions of the apps that she has on her iPad, which now do not run as well as before. I wish they would allow you to go back. I asked a few a few people at the Apple store if there will be an update fix. They said that updates are constantly being prepared for all versions of iPad. It just sure seems to me that they have a financial vested interest in not fixing this. On the other hand, I love my iPhone 6 Plus.

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I just came from the Apple Store. The tech suggested that I go beyond a "delete all and setup as a new device" but to do a full device restore via iTunes to completely wipe and reinstall the OS from scratch (actually, for both my iPad2 and iPhone5, different issues with iOS8). I'll probably do that over the weekend.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I hear ya acerace,
I've been saving my pennies ever since my wife got the Air.
Good Luck

Target sale this week.
$499
You get $100 gift card
Sold my iPad2 for $100
cost to me $299

gordol

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I made the mistake too, now my iPad2 becomes iSlow.

I am trying to downgrade it back to 7.1.2 but haven't found the OS.

I asked the Apple tech that yesterday, and he said that the iOS updates are one-way only, there is no way to revert to an older version. Personally, I think it's a policy thing not a technical thing as beta testers are able to revert back.

joeragan

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
I found a few websites that provide iOS 7.1.2 for iPad2, however all of them say that Apple has stopped signing this OS hence downgrade is not possible. Anyway, I tested all of them and all failed.

I am in the middle of an expensive programme that uses iTunesU as delivery method. This iOS slowness and random freezes are really annoying and hampering my work. If iOS 8 is too heavy for iPad2 then Apple should say so and shouldnt make it available at all.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77