Will apple ever let us delete app documents & data?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
This is one of few things that really bugs me about having an iphone. My apps don't use up a whole lot of space but the documents & data for them takes up about triple the space if not more. All i ever need is the 16GB model but now i almost think i might need a 32GB if i decide to get another iphone. I'd like to not have to pay the extra $100 for a 32GB. Anyone think they will ever give us an option to clear all that out without having to delete the app and download it again?

rewNATION

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Complain to the app developers. They could include an option to clear the cached data for a given app. The app developers would be better than Apple because the developers would know what data was safe to delete without affecting app functionality.

I had a feeling that was the case. That's way too much work. I've heard that this doesn't happen with android phones though.

tanson1011

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
I had a feeling that was the case. That's way too much work. I've heard that this doesn't happen with android phones though.

Android you can easily clear the cache data without affecting app functionality. I think apple does this on purpose for 2 reasons. They don't want people that don't know what they are doing clearing cache then complaining the app data is gone. Also people will pay the extra 100 plus to get a bigger storage capacity iPhone.
My next iPhone will have to be bigger than 16 as my phone is filling up quick because of app data.

Deleting app and reinstalling is blackberryish. Should give us the option to clea cache.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's only a few apps that grow with a lot of cache. Facebook is maybe the worst. It comes with a 91.5 mb size, but left unchecked, it can grow to 1 gb in size. Unless you use the app Battery Doctor to delete app cache, you have to delete the Facebook app then install it back. Unfortunately, that's the only way for apps with no built in "delete cache" option. I use Battery Doctor. To my knowledge, I haven't lost any pertinent documents or data. I really don't notice any difference at all. It's the same if I delete Facebook to delete the cache. It still performs well afterwards and nothing is lost. Facebook claims we need that cache, but I don't see it.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77