Am I right in feeling that ios 7 is less stable than previous versions?

himmatsj

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I feel as if ios 7 is not as stable and well optimised like previous Ios versions. For instance, when navigating through apps (especially safari), I occasionally have the device hang on me for a couple of seconds. This was unheard of back in ios 6. Same case with crashing. Safari and the App Store have crashed to the home screen a few times already.

Coming from somebody who used both android and ios, ios 7 feels like a step in the direction of the android of old, while android gets better stability wise.

I'd like to know, is this likely an issue with the 64 bit processors, amount of RAM or just lack of thorough optimisation of the os? If it is the latter, can we expect better stability and optimisation in ios 8?

Thanks!

Reparkable

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I would normally disagree with you about iOS 7, but recently 2-3 normally stable apps crashed on me yesterday. Not sure why but started to think my iPhone 5 was actually getting outdated. Gives me food for thought though

Sent from my Retina iPad Mini using iMore Forums mobile app

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
If your running iOS 7 on an older device you will experience a glitch or two even on the i5

Need to realize iOS 7 is native to the i5s and i5c even thou the i5 is similar it's still wasn't designed around it

With that said Apple approves it to run on older devices but it's hit or miss some older devices run flawless on it others not so much

The current 7.1.1 fixed a lot of the older device issues so we recommend updating to this version for optimum performance

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I feel as if ios 7 is not as stable and well optimised like previous Ios versions. For instance, when navigating through apps (especially safari), I occasionally have the device hang on me for a couple of seconds. This was unheard of back in ios 6. Same case with crashing. Safari and the App Store have crashed to the home screen a few times already.

Coming from somebody who used both android and ios, ios 7 feels like a step in the direction of the android of old, while android gets better stability wise.

I'd like to know, is this likely an issue with the 64 bit processors, amount of RAM or just lack of thorough optimisation of the os? If it is the latter, can we expect better stability and optimisation in ios 8?

Thanks!

Yes, you have every right to feel that iOS 7 is less stable than previous iOS versions, however, keep in mind that there are those of us who are not experiencing stability-related issues with iOS 7. I'm a big fan of restoring a device as new so if you haven't done so, back up your device, offload any important pics, songs, videos, docs, etc., locate the .ipsw file and move it to the trash bin, put your device in DFU mode, connect it to iTunes, and when iTunes detects your device in recovery, select to restore and update. Afterwards, set it up as a new device and not from a backup.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
All my stability problems are Tapatalk related, besides that there are none issues so far on my 5s. Neither my parents are complaining with iOS 7.1.1 on their 4S

Trees

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
7.1 is the most stable for me compared to the previous 7.x versions. Native mail app crashes that trigger rapid battery drain, and intermittent ability to regain carrier network when leaving Airplane Mode - are the two major problems I'm experiencing on 7.1. Other random, but intermittent app crashes still occur, but are of less concern. The bright side is that Apple knows about this since I have Diagnostics & Usage data set to Automatically Send.

petvas72

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
iOS 7 was the most unstable iOS version, till 7.1 came.
iOS 7.1 solved the crash issues and the Safari crashes (mostly).

I enjoy the smooth interface now and I like it very much. If you are still experiencing crashes then I suggest you make a backup, reset your device to factory settings and then use it for a couple of hours (or more), just to see if a vanilla OS configuration causes any problems. After that, try restoring your backup.

i7guy

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the diagnostics and usage logs, 7.1.1 seems more stable than 7.0. However, I did not have many stability problems with 7.0; some annoying random safari crashes, but that is about it. 7.1.1 I did have a few service crashes in the weeks after the install and some app crashes. All app crashes were third party apps, though.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77