6.1.3 crippling my battery

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
My phone was at 20% today by 1PM. It hasn't gotten that low any earlier than 6 or 7 PM before I updated. I'm hoping it'll come back up...

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Realistically, it's not. There are some here who believe any update should be a full and clean install. That's simply their opinion. OTA updates are safe, easy, and rarely cause issues.

Why would you assume that simply updating only files that change as being as good of a way to update an operating system? There is much more likelihood to run into random troubles that way then by installing the entire OS.

Your last statement could also read, "OTA updates are safe, easy, but sometimes cause issues" and still be correct.

My phone is important to me, so if I'm going to do something major like an OS upgrade, I'm going to do it the "right" way.

How many time so you see an App Store app update have a disclaimer about some users reporting crashes or other unwanted behavior after updating an app that are fixed by deleting the app and reinstalling? Is the full iOS immune to these kinds of issues?

Timhewitt

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Why would you assume that simply updating only files that change as being as good of a way to update an operating system? There is much more likelihood to run into random troubles that way then by installing the entire OS.

There is no truth to this claim, just idle speculation.

Chri5123

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.

Try recharging right up to 100% and seeing if it happens again. My battery since the upgrade is fine - I think although your post made me a bit paranoid I will keep an eye on it. I am on the iPad 2.

Step By Step Video Tutorials For The iPad >> iPad Video Lessons — Step By Step Video Lessons For The iPad

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
So I did the OTA upgrade yesterday for my iPhone 5 to 6.1.3. Everything went good but by the time I went to bed with moderate use, my battery was at 5%. So far, it's been unplugged for 1 hr, 21 min and the battery is down to 77% with very minimal use. Suggestions on how to make this better? Reboot? Restore? At this point, I'll make it to lunch with 50% and not done anything.

Charge it to 100% then run it until the phone shuts off. Now charge all the way with the ac adapter. This will reset the battery meter. If it's not any better after that, then restore as new.

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know if restoring as new would jeopardize gmail set up through exchange? I didn't update my iOS but hubby did and battery life is horrible. Will try letting it go all the way down and recharging but wanna prepare. Thanks

Tanbam

Feb 11, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if restoring as new would jeopardize gmail set up through exchange? I didn't update my iOS but hubby did and battery life is horrible. Will try letting it go all the way down and recharging but wanna prepare. Thanks

Exchange Gmail should be safe for now, as long as it was working on the device before. Be warned, though, that it could stop working any day; it's living on borrowed time.

RevJar

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, my battery seems to be a better until it falls into the 30s and then after that, it's a quick downward spiral. 2 hours of minimal use took it down to 16%. I guess I'll let it drain to 0 and hope it will get better.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
If there's an update to the operating system, I'm updating, but I'm one of the people who haven't had any issues with battery life.
I have never had battert issues either like you and while the update does not concern me that much because of the bug fixes I am getting like Pink (Anal) can I say that? or OCD and hate seeing my settings badge tagged...LOL but for now I am leaving it be. ;)

Johnny The Mc

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a phone which seems to be the majority of the posts here but I'm on a brand new iPad Mini. Before the update my battery seemed to drastically drain. It would drop 2-3% within 30 minutes of playing a modest game. Since the update to 6.1.3 there have been two changes that I notice. 1. It does take longer to charge to full from 20% or less. 2. My iPad Mini now holds the charge longer and no longer drops down more than 1% at a time.
For me personally I'm very glad I updated because it has increased the battery life and removed my doubt of returning the iPad Mini and waiting for the retina display one near the end of the year. The ipad mini has completely replaced my iPad 3 64 gig, and just in time because Apple apparently is done with "The New iPad".

I do wish they would just change the name of things like that and stop putting out a new one every single year and let us enjoy the ones we have for a while without it becoming obsolete and making us feel like we just wasted the money on our purchases, or at least give us the option to upgrade for free when they come out with updates within 365 days.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
(snipped)...
I do wish they would just change the name of things like that and stop putting out a new one every single year and let us enjoy the ones we have for a while without it becoming obsolete and making us feel like we just wasted the money on our purchases, or at least give us the option to upgrade for free when they come out with updates within 365 days.
That is not the fault of the manufacturers or the carriers. That fault lies within. People always want what's new and reject the notion that they need to be satisfied with what they have. No company is going to offer customers a free device upgrade simply because they introduce a newer device within a year. We can't go to the grocery store and get a free loaf of bread simply because the current loaf expired before we could finish it. Anyway, congrats on your new iPad Mini and welcome to iMore...:)

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I had an issue yesterday afternoon, stuck in reboot loop. I had to wipe and restore. Everything seems faster and battery life seems better. But yeah, restoring takes a few hours, but seems like it may have been worth it for me.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I notice radio reception seems to make the battery drain quicker. Some days its good, some days its bad. But the signal strength seems to be the issue.

Nolander07

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I notice radio reception seems to make the battery drain quicker. Some days its good, some days its bad. But the signal strength seems to be the issue.

Yes, while my phone is idle the battery drain at work is about twice what it is at home. I have a weak signal at work and a good one at home.

jgraves1107

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I dont see the drain anywhere but work myself. If i am at home it seems good. Get on the road to mobile, al and the battery goes quick between hattiesburg and mobile. It still gets me through the day though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2