I finally used passbook today

ernbrdn

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
Today I finally got to use passbook. It was with a Walgreens rewards card but it worked flawlessly, and my entire purchase was saved to my Walgreens account. Very handy.
The only issue I had was I felt a little like a douche pulling my phone out to have my card scanned but the cashier didn't even bat an eyelash. This will be very handy if it ever becomes widely adopted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryjer23

May 31, 2009
Visit site
So how does this work? I have the Walgreens app which is passbook ready but it still doesn't show anything when I open the passbook app. What do I have to do to get something from Walgreens to show up in the passbook app?

kilcher

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
So how does this work? I have the Walgreens app which is passbook ready but it still doesn't show anything when I open the passbook app. What do I have to do to get something from Walgreens to show up in the passbook app?

You have to sign up for their rewards program using the app and then you'll have the option to add it to Passbook.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only issue I had was I felt a little like a douche pulling my phone out to have my card scanned but the cashier didn't even bat an eyelash. This will be very handy if it ever becomes widely adopted.

That's funny. I felt the same way LOL

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Today I finally got to use passbook. It was with a Walgreens rewards card but it worked flawlessly, and my entire purchase was saved to my Walgreens account. Very handy.

Not me. I've been using the Keyring app for a while, even when I had my Android devices, so I'm used to displaying my cards via my phone. Besides and as you've stated, the store clerks are used to it, especially at CVS, Best Buy, GNC & Food Lion.

cardfan

Oct 26, 2004
Visit site
Not me. I've been using the Keyring app for a while, even when I had my Android devices, so I'm used to displaying my cards via my phone. Besides and as you've stated, the store clerks are used to it, especially at CVS, Best Buy, GNC & Food Lion.

I've had that app on my device but never got around to using it. Is this better than passbook? Worthwhile?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had that app on my device but never got around to using it. Is this better than passbook? Worthwhile?

Better? Right now it is, in my opinion, because I can simply scan my current rewards cards, etcetera into the app and use it. Lots of stores/store clerks are already familiar with it and when they scan the information, it's usually problem free. Is it worthwhile? Yes, indeed.

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Better? Right now it is, in my opinion, because I can simply scan my current rewards cards, etcetera into the app and use it. Lots of stores/store clerks are already familiar with it and when they scan the information, it's usually problem free. Is it worthwhile? Yes, indeed.

Just downloaded Key Ring per this recommendation. I'm excited to test it at the gym today.

Cheers

agentmobile

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
I used my Walgreens rewards card via passbook yesterday it was pretty cool I like passbook it has potential. Too bad we don't something similar to google wallet tho

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

D, tyvm for the mention of KeyRing:D going waaaay back when I first got my 4S I wanted an app like this but I guess forgot about it and never dwld'd. WELL, I just did now, lol, better late than never....... right? :p

Now I can have fun adding all my cards:)

(ps, we need a 'thank you' button as well on the iMore forum app;) not just a 'like' button)

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully, you will find it useful. Let us know how it works out for you...;)

Didn't work :( I noticed while setting up my card the app specified that laser scanners rarely read phone displays so I pretty sure that was the issue.

Key Ring is what I had thought Passbook was going to be. Entering information into the app was very easy.

Cheers

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
D, tyvm for the mention of KeyRing:D going waaaay back when I first got my 4S I wanted an app like this but I guess forgot about it and never dwld'd. WELL, I just did now, lol, better late than never....... right? :p

Now I can have fun adding all my cards:)

(ps, we need a 'thank you' button as well on the iMore forum app;) not just a 'like' button)

As always, you're very welcome, my friend. ;) Hopefully, you'll find it quite useful. I know I have. :D

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Didn't work :( I noticed while setting up my card the app specified that laser scanners rarely read phone displays so I pretty sure that was the issue.

Key Ring is what I had thought Passbook was going to be. Entering information into the app was very easy.

Cheers

I responded to this earlier via the iMore app, but somehow it got lot lost in translation, I suppose. Anyway, not every company support Keyring, but many do. In regard to laser scanners not working well with smartphone displays, that was indeed true in the beginning, but not so much now. It also depend on the type of laser scanner, I suppose. A smeared display can cause a scanner to not be able to read, but I've also seen some read what i considered a severely smeared display. Lol. Anyway, sorry it didn't work in regard to your gym membership card.

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
..... Anyway, sorry it didn't work in regard to your gym membership card.

Haha, NO worries. Still a pretty smooth app. I am going to try it with some of my loyalty cards and see if I have better luck. Also, I was holding up the line at the gym and may not have given the app the chance it deserves....

Cheers

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
At the risk of asking a dumb question, doesn't the merchant have to have a hand held scanner for Keyring to work?
And does the same go for Passport?

TIA

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
At the risk of asking a dumb question, doesn't the merchant have to have a hand held scanner for Keyring to work?
And does the same go for Passport?

TIA

I'm not sure that the merchants "have to have" a hand held scanner, but all of the ones that I have reward type cards for do. I haven't used Passbook yet, but I'm assuming the same applies to it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2