iOS 5.1 Beta 1 bugs and changes

hellomiggy

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I did a full restore on my 4S and when I tried to log on to Twitter from the Settings menu. It didn't sign me in... I tried twice and it didn't work, I kept it there for a while too. I fixed up my settings, and I tried again and it logged in, in a snap. Weird.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
nothing too exciting here, for me. battery life seemed to be the same as the previous build. waited as long as i could (lol) and there currently is no tethered jailbreak so i downgraded to 5.0.1 and re-jb

i'll be back after the final release and a confirmed tethered jailbreak

v1nn1e

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
nothing too exciting here, for me. battery life seemed to be the same as the previous build. waited as long as i could (lol) and there currently is no tethered jailbreak so i downgraded to 5.0.1 and re-jb

i'll be back after the final release and a confirmed tethered jailbreak

Wait, redsn0w won't jailbreak 5.1 when pointed at a 5.0 beta ipsw? Egads, man!

B

bonesb

About battery life, and given that it's only been a day since I updated both devices I am experiencing no issues.

My CDMA iPhone 4 was off the charger at about 11 pm last night at full charge and 14 hours later the device was at 96% (running in the background: on Fetch, 6 email accounts - two iCloud, one Hotmail, two Exchange, one Google Sync; two calendar accounts - one iCloud, one Exchange; two Google Voice accounts; time zone setting off; I don't use Twitter/FB).

My ATTWS device didn't fare so well but better than it has in the past, but it saw heavy use between 10 pm and 1 am. At about 7 this morning the % indicator showed about 65% charge left when typically it's been down around 40%. I'm not troubled by the battery life of this device given its heavy usage (emailing, phone calls).

I'm about 2 miles from the nearest antenna for both providers.

Twice lately, I'd without thinking about it left one app open that uses GPS - INRIX - and the morning battery remaining had been in the low 30s after a full charge the night before. I couple of other apps I use that use Location Services - Touchbase and Smart Planner - can run the battery dry, even when they're not open. YMMV.

RobActivatesiOS5

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed improved battery life, finally. I'm a little too lazy to post screen shots, so you'll just have to take my word on it (sorry!), but I honestly think most testers will either have equal or better battery life with this update, as opposed to before, where results were scattered.

I haven't found anything large per se, other than what seems to be less battery leakage when idle or being used slightly. Also, I found a nice detail that was refined. When you type a word incorrectly and the iPhone autosuggests the word, the box surrounding that word is now smaller and rounder. It looks cleaner. I'm definitely excited for little changes like this, as I enjoy for the whole package to feel tighter.

As others have reported though, nothing major found (yet).

donblay

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
So far I haven't noticed much new except a whole bunch of new emoticons. They don't show up in the emoji keyboard, but I had keyboard shortcuts for them from before. They used to be black & white unicode characters now fully colored emoticons.

rlewisphilly

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
5.1 beta and google

installed 5.1 on the ipad2; igoogle home page on safari no longer works! you end up at main google search page. The install was weird; installation of all of the apps froze, and had to tap each one individually to finish restore/install. iphone 4s loading now; no issues with install at this point.

Druce

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
New iTunes Match option

The only UI change I have seen so far is in the Setting app, under Music. In 5.0.1, it only allowed you to turn on or off iTunes Match, and allowed you to select whether or not to "Show All Music". In 5.1, they added the ability to turn on/off "Use Cellular Data".

This probably came after a whole bunch of people got dinged for transferring 8GB or more of music using a 2GB data plan. I can only imagine the bill....

By the way, is anybody else out there frustrated that you can't turn on/off "Show All Music" from within the Music app? The use case of "I just remembered, I want that song from iTunes Match" of jump out of the Music App, Go to the Settngs App, turn on "Show All Music", go back to Music, download the song, Go back to settings, turn off "show all music" go back to Music and play. It just seems a little not well thought out.

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
The only UI change I have seen so far is in the Setting app, under Music.

You didn't look deep enough for UI changes. Another change is in mail and text messaging. If you compose a new message in mail, you'll notice they shrunk the space bar and added an @ and . on the keyboard. Switch to the body of the message, it'll go back the normal way. Same for messaging.

GibMcFragger

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed that my pics don't seem to be showing up in Windows upside-down any more when I take them using the volume + button (with buttons facing up).

zm976311

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
Yesterday, 5.0.1, 2.5 hours of usage left me at 39%. Today, 5.1 b1, same amount of usage has me at 56%.
Did you do a full discharge or just updated and let it go? From what it seems on iOS5, people fully discharge their phones and they experience incredible battery life for the next cycle and after that it's back to normal. So if you didn't do a discharge that's very encouraging.

NoleScream

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The only UI change I have seen so far is in the Setting app, under Music. In 5.0.1, it only allowed you to turn on or off iTunes Match, and allowed you to select whether or not to "Show All Music". In 5.1, they added the ability to turn on/off "Use Cellular Data".

This probably came after a whole bunch of people got dinged for transferring 8GB or more of music using a 2GB data plan. I can only imagine the bill....

By the way, is anybody else out there frustrated that you can't turn on/off "Show All Music" from within the Music app? The use case of "I just remembered, I want that song from iTunes Match" of jump out of the Music App, Go to the Settngs App, turn on "Show All Music", go back to Music, download the song, Go back to settings, turn off "show all music" go back to Music and play. It just seems a little not well thought out.

You can turn of the Cellular Data in 5.0.1 under Settings -> Store -> Use Cellular Data fwiw.