Does it give voice directions? If so, how do you activate them?
    10-15-2011 04:44 AM
    Does it give voice directions? If so, how do you activate them?
    Nope, unfortunately not.
    chrstdvd likes this.
    10-15-2011 04:52 AM
    No, the maps app doesn't give voice turn by turn navigation. You can download MapQuest (free) or Navigon (paid) which give voice turn navigation. These are just a couple of examples. There are plenty more in the App Store.
    chrstdvd likes this.
    10-15-2011 04:55 AM
    No, the maps app doesn't give voice turn by turn navigation. You can download MapQuest (free) or Navigon (paid) which give voice turn navigation. These are just a couple of examples. There are plenty more in the App Store.
    Like Waze!
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-15-2011 04:57 AM
    I would like to know if any apps offer traffic conditions like google. Coming from android this is my only gripe.
    10-17-2011 10:50 PM
    Like Waze!
    Waze worked great for me this past weekend. It offers crowd-sourced traffic alerts...and police spottings.
    10-17-2011 10:53 PM
    I would like to know if any apps offer traffic conditions like google. Coming from android this is my only gripe.
    Go to the navigation section in the App Store.
    10-17-2011 10:54 PM
    Waze worked great for me this past weekend. It offers crowd-sourced traffic alerts...and police spottings.
    +1 on Waze. I've been using it for the past few days and I like the traffic pop up updates, etc...as you drive. Plus it's free!
    10-17-2011 11:02 PM
    Like the colored overlay on the highway maps? That's built into the standard Maps app, which uses Google maps. Just click the icon in the lower right corner (the one that looks like a curled up piece of paper.)
    10-17-2011 11:02 PM
    Go to the navigation section in the App Store.
    I have looked over many apps there. I was hoping someone would have some known apps. It's hard to trust reviews and I hate to buy tons of apps just to get the correct one.
    10-17-2011 11:03 PM
    I have looked over many apps there. I was hoping someone would have some known apps. It's hard to trust reviews and I hate to buy tons of apps just to get the correct one.
    I've never used it myself but a number of forum members have recommended the "Navigon" app which is a paid app.

Here's a thread discussing some apps for navigation:

http://forums.tipb.com/iphone-apps-g...tion-apps.html
    Last edited by CG68; 10-17-2011 at 11:21 PM.
    10-17-2011 11:18 PM
    There's a couple of apps that provide navigation that use exactly the same traffic service as Google - which just switched over to INRIX from crowd-sourced input - GPS (by Telenav) and MapQuest (by AOL), which both use NAVTEQ map data (at least in the US). And, check out the INRIX app itself. GPS by Telenav offers silent directions, including traffic-weighted routing at no cost and voice navigation for $10 per year as an in-app upgrade. Mapquest offers voice navigation, but I'm not sure if their routing engine adjusts based on traffic - it's routed me around some jams automatically in the past without needing me to change up my route. I'm always checking DOT cams anyway before I drive off...
    10-18-2011 01:15 AM
    Been using INRIX Pro for about a year. It's a good app that suffers from a sub-optimal UI, IMHO. It also seems as if INRIX's reporting has gotten just a little less timely in the last 6 mos.
    10-18-2011 05:49 AM
    Now this is the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks so much. When I learn the ins and outs of this beauty maybe I can help out more as well
    10-18-2011 06:37 AM
    10-18-2011 08:33 AM
    The TomTom app is solid IMO. You can purchase traffic info via an in app purchase.
    10-18-2011 09:26 AM
    I have used the tom tom app since its release, the later revisions are night and day better than what was initially release. Traditionally as we get closer to xmas time the apps tend to go on sale, the other thing nice about the tom tom is that it offers users a way for them to make corrections and download other corrections.
    10-18-2011 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD