Syncing google contacts

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I use google contacts for the contacts on my iphone and I am somewhat confused on how it will work with icloud. On inital upgrade to iOS5 I was not able to sync with the cloud for some reason and I didn't have time to play around with it. As a result, it seems like when I hit the contacts icon on my iphone there are none in there, but they are clearly in my phone if I try to access them from the phone menu. Before I go messing with settings, has anyone figured out the optimal way/settings for syncing google contacts without having to plug in?

Thanks

alphasportstv

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how you have your system setup but I do the following (running Google Apps for Calendar, Contacts & Mail). Note that because Google is a better sync solution I do NOT use iCloud (except for Find My Phone) :

In Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars> select active mail account and turn ON the appropriate Sync buttons for the 3 items (your account may or may not support this)

In the actual Contacts app, you might have a "Groups" button top left corner. If so, hit it and select the version of your Contact list that you use to sync (in my case my account is called Exchange). Any changes you make to this contact list will automatically sync w Google.

Basically you want to ignore any of the "From My PC" lists that are created by iOS, as they are local only and will not externally sync via any cloud.

----------------------

If this solution is not possible for you, I'd probably just migrate everything over to iCloud and dump your G-sync.

csal80

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Don't know how you have your system setup but I do the following (running Google Apps for Calendar, Contacts & Mail). Note that because Google is a better sync solution I do NOT use iCloud (except for Find My Phone) :

In Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars> select active mail account and turn ON the appropriate Sync buttons for the 3 items (your account may or may not support this)

In the actual Contacts app, you might have a "Groups" button top left corner. If so, hit it and select the version of your Contact list that you use to sync (in my case my account is called Exchange). Any changes you make to this contact list will automatically sync w Google.

Basically you want to ignore any of the "From My PC" lists that are created by iOS, as they are local only and will not externally sync via any cloud.

----------------------

If this solution is not possible for you, I'd probably just migrate everything over to iCloud and dump your G-sync.

I am somewhat confused by this. I really want to make sure that I do not create duplicate contacts, so I want to let you know my exact setup to request more info. Basically I have my mail syncing with yahoo, my calendar with google, and currently it says my contacts are syncing with icloud. I obviously want to just sync my contacts with google so if I make a change to my google account then it will reflect on my phone without having to do anything. I am reluctant to check the google option when plugged into itunes hardwire because I do not want to create dupes. There has to be others wondering about this right now. Please help.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2