iOS 5 Twitter integration

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
With iOS 5 Twitter integration does it make more sense to use the official app instead of a third party app? How has it effected your twitter app use? I'm curious if this is going to kill most third party twitter developers.

dwfw

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I still prefer the third party app for Twitter - Osfoora. The embedded twitter is nice because it puts 'Tweet' as a option when you click the 'send' button on a photo, but as far as I am concerned, it's the only good part. #nothanks

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
You do not need to use the official twitter app to take advantage of iOS 5's new twitter features. Those features are already present, regardless of whether or not you download any twitter app.

You don't have to choose between third-party twitter apps and iOS 5's twitter features, the two are not mutually exclusive, and thus they really have no baring on people using third party apps.

Reactions: DikaiaKnight

Calcifer2

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
What Jellotime says is true. The iOS 5 feature is for apps where you can easily tweet message and attach content without having to authorize each app you use by Twitter. It's a convenience, really and works in a similar way as eMailing from within an app. Also, that little sound effect you hear after each tweet is sheer class :)

Like with the mail app, you still need a Twitter client to manage your tweets. iOS 5 does not prove such a client.

yaynative

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
SO the Twitter official app is not required?

I'm betting Twitter unveils a nice update and desktop client at there in even in early Oct.

Calcifer2

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
No, the official one is not required. A 3rd party one like Twitterrific will do. And if you don't want to manage your tweet than you won't need anything. I must say that I quite like the official Twitter app. It's a pretty slick app.

Phil DeLong

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
The only two applications I like outside of the official app, Hootsuite and TweetDeck, both lack push notifications so unfortunately I'm stuck with the default app regardless.

HeezyBear

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
So you can sign into your twitter account via settings without actually downloading the official twitter for iPhone app and then take advantage of features such as posting pictures, websites, etc. directly through their respective apps via the new twitter integration in iOS 5? That is, I won't actually need the twitter for iPhone app actually display anywhere on my home screen, but I will still be able to use those features? Or will the actual app need to be on my phone?

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
So you can sign into your twitter account via settings without actually downloading the official twitter for iPhone app and then take advantage of features such as posting pictures, websites, etc. directly through their respective apps via the new twitter integration in iOS 5? That is, I won't actually need the twitter for iPhone app actually display anywhere on my home screen, but I will still be able to use those features? Or will the actual app need to be on my phone?

Yep! Precisely.

You only need the Twitter app (or any other twitter app) if you're actually going to read the timeline and your @mentions and the like.

Eric Gunther

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yea the embedding thing is really great but what can you do when you have to manage a lot of different twitter accounts? is there any sweet tweetdeck app available for iOS 5??

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
twitter questions

Is there a way to sync my iphone phone book to twitter? I used to be able to sync my contacts to facebook and thought i would be able to do the same with twitter but do not see a way to do it. Am I missing something or is it automatic? If its automatic it is not picking up on some of my contacts. Looking forward to any and all feedback. Thanks.

anon(157335)

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Is there a way to sync my iphone phone book to twitter? I used to be able to sync my contacts to facebook and thought i would be able to do the same with twitter but do not see a way to do it. Am I missing something or is it automatic? If its automatic it is not picking up on some of my contacts. Looking forward to any and all feedback. Thanks.

It should be under Settings / Twitter / Update Contacts.

douglaswilson

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
twitter questions

I have a contact in my iphone that has a twitter account.Why is it that twitter will not associate the contact with his twitter account and there fore not add his twitter account to his contact information. I have gone under twitter and updated and it still doesn't work. Any ideas? Thanks. :confused:

INNOVATTY

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
With iOS 5 Twitter integration does it make more sense to use the official app instead of a third party app? How has it effected your twitter app use? I'm curious if this is going to kill most third party twitter developers.

I use iOS 5 Twitter integration to tweet pictures. It's very useful. However, I still use Twitter app even though the last update sucks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2