What do you hate about iOS?

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: What do you hate about iOS ?

Got ya. I can understand listening to something as opposed to watching.
So another question, is this situation caused by Apple or YouTube? I have just recently started back with Apple products so I'm not yet familiar with all the details like these.

I do miss being able to have two apps open on the screen at once. I would do my banking with split screen using the Wellsfargo app and my spreadsheet with projections. It was convenient.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

I do miss being able to have two apps open on the screen at once. I would do my banking with split screen using the Wellsfargo app and my spreadsheet with projections. It was convenient.

Fully understand.
I guess I look at my mobile device as something that is always with me and can provide quick access to things I need on the go. Having to double click the home button to go between apps doesn't bother me too much because it's infrequent. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with convenience.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
My brother has an Android device.
Every time he taps on something, he gets a prompt asking him to open in the default app (he previously had set) or in another app.

Imagine you had to this every single time you clicked on a smart link on iOS?? It’d drive me crazy.

I have three Android devices and I don't have this issue on them.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Drala Fi

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site

My brother has an Android device.
Every time he taps on something, he gets a prompt asking him to open in the default app (he previously had set) or in another app.

Imagine you had to this every single time you clicked on a smart link on iOS?? It’d drive me crazy.

No. When Android prompts you for which app to open, it gives you the choice of selecting an app "just once" or "always". If you select "always", you are never prompted again. You can go back and change the setting via the settings menu if you wish.

Windows and Linux also have methods to select the default application used to open a link or file of a certain type. Probably OS X too.

Apple could easily implement this in iOS if they wished. Why don't they?

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
The settings menu. Huge, confusing, hard to use and ugly. Much worse than competing platforms, although this is never mentioned in reviews. That's suspicious, right?

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone seriously going to defend the settings menu on iOS? Go ahead if you want, but it's not going to be easy.

I don't love the Settings menu by any means but I just don't think it's really much of a focus, hence the lack of reviews against it. For the majority of users (i.e. not the ones nerding around tech forums like we are), the Settings menu is infrequently used, or it's used for pretty mundane tasks (the stuff Apple puts at the very top of the menu).

I think Apple has made some improvements, like putting the Apple ID menu at the top, but it's still rough. That being said, it's been a few years since I've messed around with the settings on an Android device. What are they doing today that's better than iOS?

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone seriously going to defend the settings menu on iOS? Go ahead if you want, but it's not going to be easy.

I'm not really defending it, just saying your opinion is not as popular as you may think.  is known for simplicity, and the Settings on iOS is as simple as it gets. I've used Android devices, and even the settings is a mess.

anony_mouse

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
I think Apple has made some improvements, like putting the Apple ID menu at the top, but it's still rough. That being said, it's been a few years since I've messed around with the settings on an Android device. What are they doing today that's better than iOS?

Android's settings menu (since at least early 2014) is just much smaller and simpler. It's a small fraction of the size of the implementation in iOS, despite Android supposedly being more configurable. The layout seems logical and things are easy to find (and there's a search function) - compare with, for example, the "general" tab in iOS, which is an unsorted dumping ground for a variety of functions that seem to belong elsewhere. Setting (pun intended) aside the usual partisan preferences, Android simply does this better than iOS at the moment.

The settings menu is an important part of a mobile platform. After all, in the end iOS and Android are little more than platforms to run apps. Most of the time that we use a phone, we are actually using an app, and it makes little difference whether the phone runs iOS, Android or something else. The settings menu is one of the few points of real differentiation.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Android's settings menu (since at least early 2014) is just much smaller and simpler. It's a small fraction of the size of the implementation in iOS, despite Android supposedly being more configurable. The layout seems logical and things are easy to find (and there's a search function) - compare with, for example, the "general" tab in iOS, which is an unsorted dumping ground for a variety of functions that seem to belong elsewhere. Setting (pun intended) aside the usual partisan preferences, Android simply does this better than iOS at the moment.

The settings menu is an important part of a mobile platform. After all, in the end iOS and Android are little more than platforms to run apps. Most of the time that we use a phone, we are actually using an app, and it makes little difference whether the phone runs iOS, Android or something else. The settings menu is one of the few points of real differentiation.

Thanks. We certainly don't agree on everything (and we shouldn't) but you brought up some really good points. One of my main reasons for switching to iPhone in 2010 was that iOS had a much better selection of quality apps compared to Android. Obviously that advantage has diminished quite a bit but the apps are still the best thing about the platform.

Trigati

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not really defending it, just saying your opinion is not as popular as you may think.  is known for simplicity, and the Settings on iOS is as simple as it gets. I've used Android devices, and even the settings is a mess.

I completely disagree. @anony_mouse wrote a very good post about the differences between the settings menus in each platform a couple of posts up.

Sent via the Communications Center of the Takari