What do you hate about iOS?

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
You're just kidding, right?
No, I'm not kidding. Google (or Bing) phones in 2006, just before the iPhone. Most had keyboards and used T9 to do text, a fun way of using a phone keypad to select letters by hitting buttons multiple times to get the right letter (in case you aren't old enough to recall). Things like the Blackberry 8700 had a real full keyboard you could use with two thumbs to really bang out some e-mails. What the heck were you going to do with this little piece of glass with on screen letters? Took them till 2015 to figure out lower case. The iPhone wasn't that big back then, physically, screen tech wasn't what it is today, and no-one had used anything like it. It was freakin' expensive too. There was no app store and SJ didn't even envision one. Balmer gets a bad rap for dissing the device, but he was far from alone. History is what it is, and Apple marketed the iPhone into the phenomena it is today, but hindsight is way clearer than the forward view in 2006. Everybody in a suit and tie had a Blackberry. Apple marketed to everyone else.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
No, I'm not kidding. Google (or Bing) phones in 2006, just before the iPhone. Most had keyboards and used T9 to do text, a fun way of using a phone keypad to select letters by hitting buttons multiple times to get the right letter (in case you aren't old enough to recall). Things like the Blackberry 8700 had a real full keyboard you could use with two thumbs to really bang out some e-mails. What the heck were you going to do with this little piece of glass with on screen letters? Took them till 2015 to figure out lower case. The iPhone wasn't that big back then, physically, screen tech wasn't what it is today, and no-one had used anything like it. It was freakin' expensive too. There was no app store and SJ didn't even envision one. Balmer gets a bad rap for dissing the device, but he was far from alone. History is what it is, and Apple marketed the iPhone into the phenomena it is today, but hindsight is way clearer than the forward view in 2006. Everybody in a suit and tie had a Blackberry. Apple marketed to everyone else.

Very true. I was married to my BlackBerry until I got an iPhone 4 in 2010. Even then I still had to carry a BlackBerry for work because Apple didn’t really start embracing the enterprise crowd until recently (within the last few years).

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site

Unfortunately I'm plenty old enough to remember and used Blackberry exclusively. Their downfall was their arrogance and lack of innovation looking to the future. While tiny keyboards had been used exclusively, technology was developing and Apple had the foresight to see that. The same thing happened with the PC when Jobs was told "no one wants a computer in their home, they're for businesses". Those who don't learn from the past are destined to fail.

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately I'm plenty old enough to remember and used Blackberry exclusively. Their downfall was their arrogance and lack of innovation looking to the future. While tiny keyboards had been used exclusively, technology was developing and Apple had the foresight to see that. The same thing happened with the PC when Jobs was told "no one wants a computer in their home, they're for businesses". Those who don't learn from the past are destined to fail.

That's just kind of the point. Vision is seeing stuff out front. Getting it wrong is history and shouldn't necessarily be used as an indication of lack of vision. As you said Apple, was wrong about PCs, MS screwed up mobile. They both still came out smelling pretty sweet. All I think you can learn from this past is that you can't really predict what consumers are going to do. If you guess right you are a visionary. If you guess wrong, maybe you are forgotten. Maybe people like to point out your misses.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
That's just kind of the point. Vision is seeing stuff out front. Getting it wrong is history and shouldn't necessarily be used as an indication of lack of vision. As you said Apple, was wrong about PCs, MS screwed up mobile. They both still came out smelling pretty sweet. All I think you can learn from this past is that you can't really predict what consumers are going to do. If you guess right you are a visionary. If you guess wrong, maybe you are forgotten. Maybe people like to point out your misses.

You misunderstood me about PC's. It was IBM and MS who said that, not Apple. Even though they ended up having a small percentage of the market, it began their drive towards innovation. "Be different".
As far as knowing what Consumer's are going to do, that is partly always pushing the edge along with marketing. Sure, luck is in there too but once you have a reputation, good or bad, that sets the direction.
It's fun to sit back and watch, that's for sure!

SvenJ

May 27, 2017
Visit site
You misunderstood me about PC's. It was IBM and MS who said that, not Apple. Even though they ended up having a small percentage of the market, it began their drive towards innovation. "Be different".
As far as knowing what Consumer's are going to do, that is partly always pushing the edge along with marketing. Sure, luck is in there too but once you have a reputation, good or bad, that sets the direction.
It's fun to sit back and watch, that's for sure!

To be honest, I misunderstood that on purpose a little. Bill Gates did suggest as far back as 1980 that he wanted a PC on every desk and in every home (running MS software). That was more of a goal than a vision, but I remember that being derided as ridiculous too. Who knew? It is fun to watch, and having watched, to wonder about the future. I don't think visionaries get enough credit for the effort they put in to making their vision turn into reality.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I misunderstood that on purpose a little. Bill Gates did suggest as far back as 1980 that he wanted a PC on every desk and in every home (running MS software). That was more of a goal than a vision, but I remember that being derided as ridiculous too. Who knew? It is fun to watch, and having watched, to wonder about the future. I don't think visionaries get enough credit for the effort they put in to making their vision turn into reality.

That's very true. It takes a lot of guts to say "this is the way to go" when people have never seen it before.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro