I have an iPad Air 2 and iPhone 7 Plus. I wanted to see whether I could use a keyboard especially with the iPad, to replace a Windows laptop in some scenarios. For example I find the iPad much easier to use during a meeting to perform some editing of an Excel spreadsheet or Word doc etc. Here's a quick summary of my findings.

Apple Magic Keyboard: This is a Bluetooth keyboard. It pairs with the iPad and works fine. Unfortunately I can't find a way to set the key delay/repeat rate, or see the charge level of the keyboard (those must be Mac-only things) but the keyboard does work. This is a great way to go because the keyboard is feather-light and only marginally wider than the iPad itself. It also charges with the same Lightning cable I already carry if I have my iPad with me... i.e., this keyboard is easy to toss in a bag for meetings or travel.

Generic USB PC Keyboard: works, with use of a Lightning to USB adapter which Apple sells as the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter. Apple makes no mention of any capabilities other than for cameras, but it does work for certain other classes of USB devices, including keyboards.

Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad: Does not work. This is a wired USB keyboard. The iPad complains that the hub function on the keyboard uses too much power, and the keyboard is non-functional.

Bottom line:
    * Bluetooth keyboards work with iPads. Not sure that they *all* do, but I would expect that in the general case they would.
    * PC or Apple-specific USB keyboards that don't draw too much power -- which should be most or all without a USB hub -- work with iPads.

I haven't tried an of this with my iPhone but expect the results to be exactly the same as above.
    01-26-2017 06:04 PM
    I am using the Logitech Create Keyboard with my 9.7 iPad Pro and I am throughly pleased. It doesn't rely on bluetooth, but rather a smart connector that both pro models have. The pencil holder is a nice add on too. I can't recommend it enough for Pro users.

Keyboards with iOS devices-backlit-keyboard-case-smart-connector.png
    02-06-2017 08:41 AM