Problem with ringtone setting in IOS 10

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I have certain ringtones set for my family and with the update all contacts come in with the default ringtone. I'm changing them to an Apple stock tone, not custom made one. The contacts are set to a different tone other than the default one set but they still ring with the default. Anyone else having this issue or any solutions?
Thanks
Bob

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
No. When I updated to iOS 10 and iOS 10.1 dev beta 1, my specific ringtones were still intact.

ThePinkChameleon

Trusted Member
Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
I have certain ringtones set for my family and with the update all contacts come in with the default ringtone. I'm changing them to an Apple stock tone, not custom made one. The contacts are set to a different tone other than the default one set but they still ring with the default. Anyone else having this issue or any solutions?
Thanks
Bob

Both my mom & dad on their 5S' did this. All I did to correct it was select a tone that works, then do a full reboot of the phone- hold the home button & power button TOGETHER until you see the apple logo then release them. Go back into sounds and choose your tone you want.

So far i haven't received a service call from them on the issue agai.

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I've done all of this already, and it keeps going back to the default sound. I've got a different ringtone for my wife than the one set up in the Sounds settings section. Any other ideas?

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've done all of this already, and it keeps going back to the default sound. I've got a different ringtone for my wife than the one set up in the Sounds settings section. Any other ideas?

So you went into contacts, edited the contact, went to their ringtone, changed it and exited the contact edit.. and then when they call you get a different ringtone than the one listed under their specific contact?

bcarruth62

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
So you went into contacts, edited the contact, went to their ringtone, changed it and exited the contact edit.. and then when they call you get a different ringtone than the one listed under their specific contact?

Will try it again, maybe I missed a step, will update when completed. Thanks

bigpiuty

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site

I've actually gone as far as retiring 10.0.1. I change the custom *.m4r and right before my eyes, after saving the contact, the ringtone reverets back to default

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've actually gone as far as retiring 10.0.1. I change the custom *.m4r and right before my eyes, after saving the contact, the ringtone reverets back to default

Sorry I am totally lost for an idea :0(

All I have are these last few

1-Hard Reset and try again.
2-Do you see the ringtone inside of iTunes? It is actually there? Not on your phone, but in iTunes around 20-35 seconds long and does it play? Can you play it in iTunes?
3-If all that fails, a Reset All.. but that means redoing all the "settings" on your phone... so that's a last resort.

jtai21

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I just got an iphone 7 and am having this problem with ios 10.0.2. If I reboot, the first call from my husband will be the assigned ringtone. The next call is the default. It's making me insane. I also tried using a supplied ringtone, same results, reboot, one phone call comes in with the newly assigned tone, the next call back to default.

jtai21

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
So I found the problem. With iOS 10, I guess it became an issue on iPhone 7. I had my hubs as multiple contacts in my address book. Somehow, one lost the customized ringtone. So the default was overriding. Still weird, but all I care is it's working.

Cesar212

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
I?ve the same problem . I live in Argentina an "Personal" is my signal provider, we have (5) Iphones 6 plus (my wife and sons) and after upgrading to IOS10 custom ringtones didn?t work no more in all our phones. They are still there, and Iphone can "play" them, but with an incoming call only works the "default ringtone", the same for all users, no matter what you do . I tried to asign them again, after re-installing IOS10, but nothing changes. The same for all my friends with iphone after upgrading.
Last weekend we went to "Iguaz? Falls", when we crossed the frontier with Brasil and the signal provider changed to "Vivos " (a brasilian cell phone company) and ...oh miracle! custom ringtones began to work in our iphones, but on sunday, when we returned to our country, they vanished again. Conclusion: IOS 10 is not compatible with all signal providers, many users have the same problem in USA and Europe, and Apple seems to ignore the problem. A few days ago i could downgrade to IOS .9.3.5 (now is not possible anymore) an all is normal now, but i can?t buy an iphone 7 if Apple don't bring a solution before . Anybody tried IOS 10.1? (I apologize for my english)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2