Not exactly new

Analyss14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys, been around mobile nations for quite a while though I've mainly only commented on the Android side of things. I've always had an iDevice of some kind but find that I prefer using Android as my daily driver (no judgement, just a preference). I've always read through the forums and articles thou.

So I figure I should kick off my intro by asking you guys to help me out in a little dilemma. Okay, so last year my dad gave me a MacBook Pro that I recently sold because I just wasn't using it (sorry dad). I have a self-built PC that I almost always use exclusively when I am at home and the MacBook was too heavy for me to carry around so it pretty much remained unused except to manage my iTunes music. So I sold it last month and now decided to just buy a bluetooth keyboard and use my iPad. I know it might be a tad small for most people but I used a 10.1" Ultrabook/Netbook for two years during my last two years of college and I never had problem. If I ever had to do more I used the school computer lab or waited to come home. I always have my iPad anyway and using it to write a short report or takes notes works perfectly fine for me. Preferable to carrying an extra device.

So here's the thing. I bought the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Now, I'm undecided on whether to use a cover that incorporates some kind of stand feature or just buy a separate mini stand like the Satechi R1 Arm Hinge Holder Stand. If I buy a new cover (I mainly have cases with no stand), it wouldn't fit on my current iPad stand at home. Which would mean constantly changing between the two (I mostly use a Poetic Silicone Case at home). If I decide the go with the mini stand, that means I would have to carry it around at all times. First world problems I know, but I'm genuinely stuck. What do you guys think?

Oh and if I go with the case I plan on buying this cover http://www.etsy.com/listing/169779815/ipad-air-smart-cover-bubinga-wood to pair with a couple Decal Girl Snap Cases I already own. What do you guys think of the angle of the cover once folded? Seems to lean too far back to be comfortable for typing.

Sorry for the long post!

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys, been around mobile nations for quite a while though I've mainly only commented on the Android side of things. I've always had an iDevice of some kind but find that I prefer using Android as my daily driver (no judgement, just a preference). I've always read through the forums and articles thou.

So I figure I should kick off my intro by asking you guys to help me out in a little dilemma. Okay, so last year my dad gave me a MacBook Pro that I recently sold because I just wasn't using it (sorry dad). I have a self-built PC that I almost always use exclusively when I am at home and the MacBook was too heavy for me to carry around so it pretty much remained unused except to manage my iTunes music. So I sold it last month and now decided to just buy a bluetooth keyboard and use my iPad. I know it might be a tad small for most people but I used a 10.1" Ultrabook/Netbook for two years during my last two years of college and I never had problem. If I ever had to do more I used the school computer lab or waited to come home. I always have my iPad anyway and using it to write a short report or takes notes works perfectly fine for me. Preferable to carrying an extra device.

So here's the thing. I bought the Apple Wireless Keyboard. Now, I'm undecided on whether to use a cover that incorporates some kind of stand feature or just buy a separate mini stand like the Satechi R1 Arm Hinge Holder Stand. If I buy a new cover (I mainly have cases with no stand), it wouldn't fit on my current iPad stand at home. Which would mean constantly changing between the two (I mostly use a Poetic Silicone Case at home). If I decide the go with the mini stand, that means I would have to carry it around at all times. First world problems I know, but I'm genuinely stuck. What do you guys think?

Oh and if I go with the case I plan on buying this cover http://www.etsy.com/listing/169779815/ipad-air-smart-cover-bubinga-wood to pair with a couple Decal Girl Snap Cases I already own. What do you guys think of the angle of the cover once folded? Seems to lean too far back to be comfortable for typing.

Sorry for the long post!

Hi and welcome to iMore "officially."
Honestly I didn't have much luck with Decak Girl.....��

The cover seems bulky to me. I'd choose something sleeker.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site

Sorry for the long post!

I don’t know what your budget for this is, but I would suggest looking at the Compass iPad stand from Twelve South. It’s about $40, but is compact, easy to stick in a backpack and works really well.

Twelve South Compass 2 Stand for iPad - Apple Store (U.S.)

Analyss14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
It's always nice to feel welcomed, thanks guys. Yeah, I wouldn't have voluntarily paid for the Decal Girl cases as I prefer more protective cases but I got two of them as a gift. The kind of gift that requires you to pay more money to use since I now have to buy covers if I want to use them and all the cheap covers seem really crappy and I don't like the Apple covers cause they dirty pretty quickly.

Analyss14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I checked them out thou and they have pretty bad reviews. I think I saw a lot of really similar stands on Amazon. Do you have or use one? I know some people swear by Twelve South but I've only ever owned Rain Design stands and I know they produce quality stuff. How would you rate them?

It seems like such a small thing but I have never been this indecisive before. I've actually considered just buying a Lifescribe 3 Smartpen and just scrapping the whole keyboard idea entirely. There doesn't seem to be many Lifescribe users though. Even their own forums have very few members.

HankAZ

Banned
Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I checked them out thou and they have pretty bad reviews. I think I saw a lot of really similar stands on Amazon. Do you have or use one? I know some people swear by Twelve South but I've only ever owned Rain Design stands and I know they produce quality stuff. How would you rate them?

It seems like such a small thing but I have never been this indecisive before. I've actually considered just buying a Lifescribe 3 Smartpen and just scrapping the whole keyboard idea entirely. There doesn't seem to be many Lifescribe users though. Even their own forums have very few members.

I have several of Twelve South's products, and they’re solid IMHO. I have the Compass 2 stand and the Plug Bug. I’ve never used anything from Rain Design.

I did hear about a cheaper portable stand that is somewhat universal. It’s not necessarily "pretty", though. It’s called the Stump Stand.
http://www.stumpstore.com/

Highrisedrifter

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I've always hated separate stands for my ipad/Bluetooth keyboard. My current leather smart case has a stand built in that i use instead and I much prefer it. I'd love to tell you which model it is but I got it for my birthday in 2012 and can't remember.

In all honesty though, I found the iPad/Bluetooth keyboard combo to be a royal pain in the proverbials and would much prefer to either use a desktop or a laptop with a decent keyboard.

Analyss14

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to iMore. I've always hated separate stands for my ipad/Bluetooth keyboard. My current leather smart case has a stand built in that i use instead and I much prefer it. I'd love to tell you which model it is but I got it for my birthday in 2012 and can't remember.

In all honesty though, I found the iPad/Bluetooth keyboard combo to be a royal pain in the proverbials and would much prefer to either use a desktop or a laptop with a decent keyboard.

I must be in rare breed of people who absolutely only uses Laptops when I must. I don't hate them but generally avoid using them unless the situation calls for it. When I was in college I had a giant (for the day) 17" desktop replacement that I literally never carried anywhere because it was too heavy. Once that died I just bought a desktop and used a netbook. Once I got my first tablet however I started carrying my cell, my iPod, my ereader, my tablet and my netbook....just got to be redundant so I simplified. I briefly flirted with the idea of buying an 11" or 13" MacBook but I know I would honestly never crack it open at home. I use a tablet much more than I would use a laptop and since my work is very research heavy I find it easier to hold a tablet in hand and read papers than to set a laptop on my lap. I don't do a lot "on location" work so I guess that's why having a laptop isn't a top issue for me.

Anyway, If you ever find the name of your case drop a line so I can check it out.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
strawberrymelon