Hurricane Dorian

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
We here in Barbados were spared major damage and loss of life when Dorian, as a small and fast moving Tropical Storm, actually did make a direct hit on our island only less than a week ago. How quickly things have changed. I wrote this prayer to be read at my church with memories of the close passages of Harvey, Irma, and Maria in 2017 still fresh in our minds - at the opening of every Hurricane Season. View attachment Hurricane Prayer Revised.pdf

Last edited:

bakron1

Ambassador
Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
My sisters and Family are all in Florida and they have battened down the hatches and are prepared the best they can be.

I prey for the folks in Dorians path and I am hoping the hurricane stays out to sea and does minimal damage if any. Now it’s a wait and see what Mother Nature does next.

JandN2639

Nov 23, 2017
Visit site
Same here, with the addition that it doesn't batter more of the Caribbean or anything else. I'm praying it dissipates somewhere that is not inhabited.

dmoskaluk

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for information which will undoubtly be handy for US customers 'in the zone'
We have learned ( at times the hard way) that a smartphone can go from 'nice to have, to 'need to have' in a heartbeat, especially when nature threatens. Our power networks here in the Islands aren't quite as resilient & robust at the best of times, thus it migh be time to suggest that other than battery powered flashlights and radios, the smartphone(s) should be kept as near fully charged as practicable, as one simply cannot predict the duration & timing of any power interruption / blackout situation. 'PowerBrick' storage batteries to recharge devices should also be kept 'topped off' to be ready if & when needed.
As a related side issue, old thinking mostly driven by landline dominated communication can still be important as landline ( copper/ fibre) usually supplies most modems & routers which generate our wifi. After a catastrophe, cell tower structure can rebuild and adjust much more quickly as all area towers aren't usually put out of service in the manner which pole based phone wires can be toppled and destroyed by winds. So even though delicate, the old addage about communication being the first thing to go, and the last to return, just isn't true anymore - as long as one has actively taken precautions.

Last edited: