Could Sony survive without PlayStation?

epic_rexit

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
This is (hopefully) going to spark some good, clean, heated debate. So I'd like to start this off my saying that I am no Microsoft or Xbox "fanboy." I do exclusively own and use an Xbox One but that is mainly because I first truly became a gamer during my time in the Army and that time was spent on the Xbox 360. So the transition to the One was a natural one. Bear in mind that I grew up on PlayStation and my older brother uses one exclusively so I've been able to spend some quality time on that console as well.

But a co-worker and I were chatting the other day. He is a devout PlayStation user. We were discussing whether or not Sony would stay afloat without the PlayStation. Sure, they're a player in the smartphone game but not a large one and they've all but disappeared from the tablet/e-reader market. Walkmans are a thing of nostalgia and they have been outclassed in both TVs and media players.

Microsoft thrived predominantly on just their software products before the Xbox (while Sony's only REAL competition in the console game was Nintendo) and I have reason to believe that they would be okay if they were to for some reason lose their gaming console. But the question remains, would Sony?

SiNiXL

Jul 7, 2016
Visit site
I would say so, sony have a vast market in Television sets and speakers, earphones and headsets. They are a large brand and, like apple hauders for example, people are dedicated to only there products. sure they will have a large decrees in sales and such but they will still be making a large sum of money with or without the playstation/psp in the picture.

tgunnr

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I seriously doubt it as of right now considering the huge profits the PlayStation brand has been brining in and their loss of market share and thin profit margins with their other products, particularly their TVs.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Sony is HUGE. Yes they make consumer electronics, like TVs, home theater speakers and sound bars, MP3 players, headphones, smartphones, gaming consoles and handhelds, laptops, tablets, wearables, cameras and camcorders, car and marine audio... hell they make their own memory cards batteries and cords. But they also produce professional/industrial quality electronics, like pro studio AV equipment, medical equipment, office/teleconference equipment... AND they have a record company (Sony Music) and movie studio (Sony Pictures) and a streaming service (Crackle)

Sony isn't going anywhere, with or without PlayStation.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2