Recipe: Morning fruit smoothy

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
After a number of requests following ZENandTECH 5: Food fight, I thought I?d post up my morning smoothie recipe and go over why I made the choices I did.

1. 1 cup of frozen fruit. I vary between berry mixes, tropical mixes, mango mixes, etc. I like to introduce variety. I use frozen fruit because it?s always available and the cold works well in a smoothie (I don?t have to add ice).
  2. 1 scoop of whey isolate protein I want some protein in the morning and this is a great way to get about as much as you can digest at one time anyway. I use the most natural, least flavored, best quality kind I can find. This is rocket fuel, not sludge.
  3. I cup of non-fat yogurt. This is optional and I often don?t add it. When I do, I typically use organic vanilla or plain. I always use non-fat for this because I don?t want the milk fats interfering with the absorption of antioxidants of the fruits.
  4. 1 tablespoon of honey. I have a sweet tooth and the fruit itself sometimes isn?t sweet enough. I try to buy interesting honeys and switch up the variety every time.
  5. Water. I prefer water to juice because there?s often a lot of additives in juice. I use enough to make the smoothie thin enough to blend and will add it slowly until the consistency looks right.

One everything is in the blender, I run it on low power to chop everything up, then switch it to high to get it smooth. Blend until blended. Seriously, take your time. The blending and introduction of air is what makes it smooth and creamy even without any yogurt added.

That?s it! If you have a morning smoothie, please share. I?m always interested in mixing things up!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My favorite morning smoothie:

1 scoop unflavored (or vanilla) whey protein powder
⅔ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
? banana
2 tbsp organic natural peanut butter
3 cups raw baby spinach
3 handfuls of ice

Sometimes I mix it up with a chocolate variation:

1 scoop chocolate whey protein powder
⅔ cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk
? banana
2 tbsp organic natural peanut butter
3 cups raw baby spinach
3 handfuls of ice

In both cases, I?ve discovered by keeping both the bananas and spinach in the freezer, I don?t need to add the water. Typically, I buy bananas as green as I can, as they ripen quickly in Arizona in the summer. When they start turning brown, I peel them, halve them and freeze them for my smoothies.

Both of these give you a good, solid serving of spinach and protein, and the banana and peanut butter mask the spinach taste completely. This is my breakfast or lunch at least 3 days a week.