FiftyThree vs Apple Pencil

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I just recently purchased a iPad Pro 9.7" & now I'm thinking about getting a pencil for it. I looked around & didn't see a comparison between the FiftyThree Pencil & the Apple Pencil. Now that it's getting closer to a year since the Pencil was released we can get an even better review/comparison

...Does anyone have any thoughts on which one they like better. Also, why is the you like better is helpful also. They both look nice and both seem to have their high points, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is better.

Thanks!

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I have the Pencil, and I've stated on numerous occasions that if you're an artist, it is an awesome device to have. As a non-artist, I find the Pencil to be accurate, sensitive to pressure, natural to hold, well made and expensive. I have a few other styluses that I could use in lieu of the Pencil, and on occasion, I do. Am I glad I bought it? Yes and No. Do I need it for my iPad Pro? No. if it breaks, would I go out and buy another one? Nope.

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I did "upgrade" from an Air 2 to a 9.7 Pro solely for the pencil. It is an amazing device compared to any other cap nub stylus, Bluetooth or not, simply due to how the screen and pencil interact in ways any other stylus cannot. There isn't much to say about the 9.7 pro over the air 2 without it. I think you'll find the $100 worth it if you do any kind of writing, sketching . . . anything, with your iPad above games and Internet browsing. Or you could look to find used ones. I got mine for $80 open box when I got my iPad.

My only gripes are it's a tad long (too long for shirt pocket) and there aren't many options as far as storage. I use my iPad in the field and in the office a lot. Pretty much the only thing I don't do with it at work is present from it and auto ad, although I have cadded simple stuff in the field.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input. It's helpful because $100 is quite a bit if it's something that won't be very useful. I don't do much drawing, but I do modify & create documents on OneNote & word.

I'm wondering anyone knows if you can easily modify word shapes, like arrows, with the pencil. I edit/create documents that use many small arrows that need to get their direction changed. Say, it directs people to follow a certain direction on a map, then another document version will direct people to go in another direction. When I try to change those in word using my fingers on the iPad, it usually just tries to stretch them. If I do it by hand on my iPhone 6s+, I can much more easily flip them around. On the full version of word, on Windows, you can simply go into formatting & select what type of end/begin shape you want. I'd like to reduce the need for Windows as much as possible.

Thanks again for your comments

TiNuts

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't do much drawing either, other than some conceptual sketching. I mainly use pencil for meeting notes, to do lists, and project notes/workflows. I hand write most of this stuff cuz I can't politely use a keyboard during meetings and carrying around in the field isn't feasible. As far as word is concerned, there's not much use for pencil unless you want to mark up documents. It does make it much easier to select things, especially objects with grab boxes. I don't use onenote much, but the pencil is great handwriting there too.

My advice would be to get it and try it out. You can always take it back or sell it.

roystreet

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Hey TiNuts, thanks for your thoughts. I have a friend that let me borrow their pencil...It feels nice & solid. The thing sure looks funny sticking out the side of the ipad when it's charging :laughing:

I'm pretty much sold on it, but I'll mess around with it more.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2