NSFW: 'Power Users' need to shut up

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
macbook-thin-side-bubble_0.JPG

I've had quite enough of "power users" who think they're too good for the new MacBook.
I've been using a Mac for 30 years. I got my first one in 1985. I sell Macs on the weekends and write about them during the weekdays. I am, by any definition, a "power user." Yet I detest that term, and I react viscerally whenever I hear someone else use it.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't think "power users" are mad at the device itself. They already realize this device doesn't cater to their computing needs. The problem is that they know the new MacBook isn't worth it's $1299 price. The quality of internal components does not justify the cost. Will this directly affect the "power user"? Absolutely not. The same can be said about the Apple Watch edition. You could hear a pin drop in that place when Cook announced its starting price. Why? Because everyone in there (including Apple employees, knew it was overpriced). The bottom line is that people shouldn't let those who are less knowledgable in a particular area to be to be unknowingly ripped off. Once the purchaser knows the pros and cons then the decision is up to them, but at least they will be well informed which is what the "power users" are doing.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think "power users" are mad at the device itself. They already realize this device doesn't cater to their computing needs. The problem is that they know the new MacBook isn't worth it's $1299 price.
Thats debatable, and still, it doesn't justify them getting angry especially when the device, as you put it, does not cater to them.
The quality of internal components does not justify the cost.
Quality or lack of power?
Will this directly affect the "power user"? Absolutely not. The same can be said about the Apple Watch edition. You could hear a pin drop in that place when Cook announced its starting price. Why? Because everyone in there (including Apple employees, knew it was overpriced).
Again, that's debatable. Heck, some of the people who posted in these forums assumed the price to be around $800 and above. They obviously don't think the Watch is overpriced.
The bottom line is that people shouldn't let those who are less knowledgable in a particular area to be to be unknowingly ripped off.
I agree, but this is not one of those situations. The value of something depends on the people who want or need it. They will either buy it or they won't. Some people thought those of us who opted for the MacBook instead of the MacBook Pro were being ripped off, and yet, here I am 6 years later still rocking that same MacBook and running OS X Yosemite without any problems. I know for a fact that I've gotten more than my money's worth from it.
Once the purchaser knows the pros and cons then the decision is up to them, but at least they will be well informed which is what the "power users" are doing.
People like me who want the new MacBook are well-informed, but there will be people who will shake their heads because they will not be able to understand why we still choose to get the new MacBook when a more powerful device can be had for less. We hear the same argument with the iPhone in comparison to a more powerful Android device. We like what we like, and want what we want and knows what is best for ourselves than anyone else. It's really that simple...;)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
I can agree with the article. If it isn't for you then just STFU about it and move on. Let people spend their money as they please. And if you like Apple computers, it doesn't stop at the new MacBook. There are other options.

I do wonder now if the iPad Pro unveiling was put on hold to let the MacBook shine more.

iEd

Banned
Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Concerning the new MacBook. I think the price is justified by having the latest Apple tech. Force Touch, the keyboard deal the battery deal Retina.
As far as "Power User" than nomenclature always bugged me like "Pro".
Not Apple's use of Pro but the public's use of it.
For me if you make money using it its Pro. None of my Apple devices have the Pro brand yet I make money using all of them.
Just because the new MacBook isn't a certain spec processor wise doesn't mean someone can't perform "Power" tasks. Don't let the numbers fool ya. One can perform "Power" tasks in a iPad Air all day long or a iPhone.
Every Intel Mac I've purchased in the last 10 years have exceeded my expectations regardless of the numbers.
Use the technology don't let it use you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PortCity79

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Value is assigned based on the cost of the materials that are used and labor. Not the people who want it. Honda sells thousands of cars a year because people want that brand. Yet they realize they cannot sell the Accord for $100,000 just because it is in high demand. You wouldn't let a friend buy a Prius for the price of a Tesla without first advising him or her on the differences between the two. I know that sounds extreme but in a way the same thing is happening here.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77