Apple tells developer of popular iOS 8 widget calculator to remove the widget

iMore.com

Administrator
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
pcalc-notification-center-iphone6-hero.JPG

One of the coolest features of iOS 8 was the inclusion of support for widgets in the Notification Center on iPhone and iPad, but making full use of that feature has landed at least one developer in hot water. James Thomson, developer of the popular calculator app PCalc, was the recipient of a message from Apple informing him that having a widget in iOS 8 that performs calculations within notification center was not something he could do, and that it must be removed. This is in spite of PCalc being a featured app in the App Store for its calculating widget.

Full story from the iMore Blog...

RescueEMT911

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
And this is ONE of the reasons for my Love/Hate relationship with Apple! I believe you can keep the widget as long as you do not remove or update pcCalc from your device

anon(2254645)

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I guess I don't understand why it's necessary since there is a calculator already in the control center. Unless you're doing scientific calculations regularly, why add another app?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
By limiting the usefulness of Notification Center widgets, what is Apple protecting itself or its customers from? - Marco A.

Antron

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Josh Centers:

Arbitrary decisions like this harm Apple?s relationship with developers. If Apple wants developers to keep creating innovative Today View widgets, then it needs to publish detailed, specific guidelines of what widgets can and cannot do. When blood, sweat, tears, and livelihoods are on the line, ?I?ll know it when I see it,? doesn?t cut it as an App Store approval policy.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2