Apple has released a new firmware version for AirTag

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Has anyone had their AirTags update?
Mine are still on 1.0.301
It’s been a week since the firmware update was released.
TIA

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
TIA

The latest version is 2.0.24. This is what my AirTag attached to my keychain is showing as its firmware.
I don’t see any difference within FindMy. It does seem like they may have bumped the audible alert volume. I just tried it right now and it seems, umm maybe, a shade louder. But unless Apple has put out release notes or a tech channel has done some testing, I’d say the update likely pertains to bugs that a slice of users may have encountered.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
TIA

Same here. I just checked and it is still showing as 1.0.301. No worries. I’m sure it’ll update at some point. As long as the device is active and locatable then I’m good.

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
As mentioned, I received the 2.0.24 update soon after release. I don’t know what makes the difference from user to user. There’s a bit of black box to the update process. I WFH so my AirTag remains BT connected most of the time to a device that is on my home Wi-Fi. I have an AppleTV 4K 2nd gen but the hub function is disabled. I have two HomePod minis that act as my hub. But I doubt that is how the update is received. I have the iPhone 14 PM and have noticed improved BT connectivity compared to my iPhone 11.
I don’t recall if this quite coincided with the AirTag update but within FindMy I did some name changing of my devices including my AirTag. I think it was around the same time though I highly doubt that was the reason I received the update quickly. (FWIW I saw no change to AirTag other than maybe Apple increased the juice a bit to its loudspeaker).

EdwinG

Ambassador
Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
As mentioned, I received the 2.0.24 update soon after release. I don’t know what makes the difference from user to user. There’s a bit of black box to the update process. I WFH so my AirTag remains BT connected most of the time to a device that is on my home Wi-Fi. I have an AppleTV 4K 2nd gen but the hub function is disabled. I have two HomePod minis that act as my hub. But I doubt that is how the update is received. I have the iPhone 14 PM and have noticed improved BT connectivity compared to my iPhone 11.
I don’t recall if this quite coincided with the AirTag update but within FindMy I did some name changing of my devices including my AirTag. I think it was around the same time though I highly doubt that was the reason I received the update quickly. (FWIW I saw no change to AirTag other than maybe Apple increased the juice a bit to its loudspeaker).

I have three possibilities that come to mind:
  • Your iPhone is enrolled to the iOS beta, which contains the newer firmware
  • Apple chose some AirTags/devices at random to evaluate the new firmware before making it available to a larger audience
  • Newer revision AirTags (with 0 new features… basically a silent rev B)

Up_And_Away

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
I have three possibilities that come to mind:
  • Your iPhone is enrolled to the iOS beta, which contains the newer firmware
  • Apple chose some AirTags/devices at random to evaluate the new firmware before making it available to a larger audience
  • Newer revision AirTags (with 0 new features… basically a silent rev B)

Good and plausible suggestions Ed7789.
-I think second suggestion is likeliest, simple luck of the draw.
-I bought the AirTag around Christmas last year. Very possible they had a new hardware rev by then. Another luck of the draw if someone got stock from rev batch A or B.
-I’m not enrolled in any of the beta programs. It would be interesting to hear if anyone here is but did not get the update.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
FWIW, I got mine out and put them on my desk near my iPhone yesterday morning. I checked them a few hours later, and they had both been updated.