Poll: Are you excited for Apple Music's big new features?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Am I excited? No, but I am looking forward to hearing how my streaming audio will sound when the feature is live.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don’t think it applies to me because I do not subscribe to Apple Music. Now if it applies when I listen to my library all of which were purchased on iTunes, Then I might be more excited about this, once Apple figures out how to make it work with my AirPods Pro.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I don’t think it applies to me because I do not subscribe to Apple Music. Now if it applies when I listen to my library all of which were purchased on iTunes, Then I might be more excited about this, once Apple figures out how to make it work with my AirPods Pro.

I'm opposite. I have Music, but no Apple listening device.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for the lossless for years, it's one of the reasons I never wanted to switch to streaming in the first place. I am, however, upset that Apple won't be using the lossless format for Bluetooth. They said Bluetooth can't do lossless, which is incorrect. Sure, you would lose some quality from Bluetooth, but it can still play over Bluetooth. Good thing I still have my wired headphones and earphones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
This whole thing has been nothing but confusing. Apple has done a very poor job of explaining it all. What works, what doesn't work? What listening device is needed for this and for that? Are Apple listening devices the only ones that work with the Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos? With lossless? Does it have to be wired? Do listening devices not Apple have the right chip?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
This whole thing has been nothing but confusing. Apple has done a very poor job of explaining it all. What works, what doesn't work? What listening device is needed for this and for that? Are Apple listening devices the only ones that work with the Spatial Audio with Dolby Atmos? With lossless? Does it have to be wired? Do listening devices not Apple have the right chip?
They've been pretty straight forward. Need W1 or H1 chip for Dolby or Spatial audio, need wired for lossless. I didn't know they wouldn't allow lossless over Bluetooth though. Anyway, it's all Apple doing Apple things. My Android has Dolby audio, and many have had it for years. Apple is just making Apple decisions to make Apple money. It's what they do.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
They've been pretty straight forward. Need W1 or H1 chip for Dolby or Spatial audio, need wired for lossless. I didn't know they wouldn't allow lossless over Bluetooth though. Anyway, it's all Apple doing Apple things. My Android has Dolby audio, and many have had it for years. Apple is just making Apple decisions to make Apple money. It's what they do.

I've seen all kinds of conflicting reports. So, are Apple listening devices the only ones with the necessary chips? Apple sure makes it sound that way.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I've seen all kinds of conflicting reports. So, are Apple listening devices the only ones with the necessary chips? Apple sure makes it sound that way.
Technologically speaking no. Apple's aren't required. Programming related, yes, you need Apple's for Dolby and Spatial, and you need wired for lossless. That's it. Any other info is incorrect.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Technologically speaking no. Apple's aren't required. Programming related, yes, you need Apple's for Dolby and Spatial, and you need wired for lossless. That's it. Any other info is incorrect.

First you say "no. They aren't required.". Then you say"yes, they are.". See how confusing this can be?

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

I just reinvested in my Wired Etymotic Studio Reference monitors. I bought a new cable, since the original was wearing out. I keep those around for serious music listening time, like when I want to hear all the glorious kick drum punch of AC/DC’s “Back in Black”. AirPods and PowerBeats tend to muddle the bass low frequencies and it all blends together, especially when the bass guitar comes in, at least to me.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
First you say "no. They aren't required.". Then you say"yes, they are.". See how confusing this can be?
I've only reiterated my initial point that any limitations that exist have been implemented by Apple to drive up more Apple sales by Apple to make Apple more money. I said technologically speaking they aren't required. That has nothing to do with Apple. The limitations that Apple put in place to require the W1 of H1 chips for Dolby and Spatial audio, as well as requiring a wired connection for lossless, are done by Apple for Apple. They are listed by Apple as the requirements as well. It is listed on Apple.com.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I've only reiterated my initial point that any limitations that exist have been implemented by Apple to drive up more Apple sales by Apple to make Apple more money. I said technologically speaking they aren't required. That has nothing to do with Apple. The limitations that Apple put in place to require the W1 of H1 chips for Dolby and Spatial audio, as well as requiring a wired connection for lossless, are done by Apple for Apple. They are listed by Apple as the requirements as well. It is listed on Apple.com.

This is crystal clear to me. Thanks for taking your time to explain.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

So, in other words, you have to have Apple listening devices for Apple's Spatial Audio and Lossless. Lossless has to be wired. But any 3rd party headphones will work for Dolby Atmos, as long as it's toggled on in settings. And the artists have included Dolby Atmos in their music.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So, in other words, you have to have Apple listening devices for Apple's Spatial Audio and Lossless. Lossless has to be wired. But any 3rd party headphones will work for Dolby Atmos, as long as it's toggled on in settings. And the artists have included Dolby Atmos in their music.
Almost, Dolby and Spatial needs Apple devices, lossless is good for any wired headphones.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Almost, Dolby and Spatial needs Apple devices, lossless is good for any wired headphones.

Everything I have read, says 3rd party headphones will get Dolby Atmos, but has to be toggled on in settings > music manually. And don't see anywhere that says 3rd party headphones will get Apple Lossless when wired.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Everything I have read, says 3rd party headphones will get Dolby Atmos, but has to be toggled on in settings > music manually. And don't see anywhere that says 3rd party headphones will get Apple Lossless when wired.
Then let me ask you this, how can lossless be going to Apple Music on every platform if it requires a connection to an Apple device using Apple's chips? Dolby and Spatial audio need Apple chips, lossless is lossless. Lossless is a file type. Dolby and Spatial audio are additions to that. Lossless simply requires more storage space to download and more data to stream as it is a larger uncompressed file.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Then let me ask you this, how can lossless be going to Apple Music on every platform if it requires a connection to an Apple device using Apple's chips? Dolby and Spatial audio need Apple chips, lossless is lossless. Lossless is a file type. Dolby and Spatial audio are additions to that. Lossless simply requires more storage space to download and more data to stream as it is a larger uncompressed file.

Yes, I see where Apple clarified Lossless. So, any headphones will get Lossless at 48kHz, and higher with a DAC. And Lossless will have to be wired. And I read everywhere, that non Apple headphones will get Dolby Atmos, but will have to be turned on manually in settings. But headphones with the H1 and W1 chips will be automatic. Is this not correct? If not, show where it says differently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2